ADVERTISEMENT

Nova got a player today

This was the kid NC State pushed out so they would have a scholarship for SKJ. He isn't going to see the court for Nova this year.

That's a good lead in. Where is the background link on those thoughts?

If you have a premium account on 247sports, you can read all the various premium boards (including the NC State one.) This particular recruit was the first to commit to Keatts in the 2018 class. When they were recruiting SKJ, and while Torin Dorn was flirting with the draft, they found themselves in a scholarship crunch. Their mods made it clear that someone was getting pushed out to make scholarship room, and it ended up being Bey.

Fun fact, Bey was apparently trying to go to Wake Forest once he got his release. But because he signed a LOI with NC State, he was forbidden from going to another ACC school and playing this season. So that's how Nova landed him.

He's from the same school as Josh Hart played at. Sidwell Friends HS. I saw him play last year in AAU and liked him and think he actually upgraded in choice of program. He needs to develop better perimeter skills and Nova does a fantastic job with that--and has done well by DMV kids (DC, MD, VA) with Booth, Jenkins, Hart, Reynolds, etc...

Travis is still in play, but word up here is still very much UK centered. Obviously with visit coming up, you'll know more soon.

Reactions: floatingyou
Eh we will get Travis either way so don't really care if Nova adds anyone or not . It is pretty damn obvious the UK players know Hagans and Travis will be on this team along with the equipment men , the coaches and every surrounding UK . Just too many hints lately.

Reactions: JASUN74
Eh we will get Travis either way so don't really care if Nova adds anyone or not . It is pretty damn obvious the UK players know Hagans and Travis will be on this team along with the equipment men , the coaches and every surrounding UK . Just too many hints lately.
Agree

Reactions: AR15CATWARRIOR
Pretty nice late pickup for Nova. Don't think it has much to do with Travis. But it does show how attractive a destination Nova is now.

As I've said since the beginning when the Nova fan was saying they have a 50/50 chance at Travis. Travis is a UK lock. And Nova has zero chance and even though it was said he'd visit both schools I said he'd never step foot on Nova's campus. This proves me correct. So suck it Nova fan.

4 star power forward I believe. Hope this helps our chances

He's from the same school as Josh Hart played at. Sidwell Friends HS. I saw him play last year in AAU and liked him and think he actually upgraded in choice of program. He needs to develop better perimeter skills and Nova does a fantastic job with that--and has done well by DMV kids (DC, MD, VA) with Booth, Jenkins, Hart, Reynolds, etc...

Travis is still in play, but word up here is still very much UK centered. Obviously with visit coming up, you'll know more soon.

Thanks

:popcorn:

As I've said since the beginning when the Nova fan was saying they have a 50/50 chance at Travis. Travis is a UK lock. And Nova has zero chance and even though it was said he'd visit both schools I said he'd never step foot on Nova's campus. This proves me correct. So suck it Nova fan.
Done deal. He cometh.

Personally think Reid is a lock for UK. A former player of UK said if he does commit Cal plans on using him like he did Alex his freshmen year with a little Lyles mixed in. The question is who the starters will be. Reid is a lock because he’s better than any other big on the roster even though he has less upside (don’t really matter until later on in ththe NBA) so that leaves one more spot between EJ, PJ and Nick (I feel Johnson has the SF locked up)

Reactions: Rockford
Personally think Reid is a lock for UK. A former player of UK said if he does commit Cal plans on using him like he did Alex his freshmen year with a little Lyles mixed in. The question is who the starters will be. Reid is a lock because he’s better than any other big on the roster even though he has less upside (don’t really matter until later on in ththe NBA) so that leaves one more spot between EJ, PJ and Nick (I feel Johnson has the SF locked up)

Reid/PJ/Johnson/Quade/Hagans starting, imo.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking except I think Quickley starts over Hagans. He’s been underestimated on this board lately for some reason.
If Quickley is good enough to start over Hagans then we are going to be REALLY good. Actually, I think we are going to be REALLY good anyway, no matter who starts at the PG position.

I know people and I think it was Cal that said never going to platoon again but seriously you add Travis you got 2 sets of 5 players that are ultra good.

1st 5:
PG: Green
PG2: Hagans
SF: Johnson
PF: Washington
C: Travis

2nd 5:
PG: Quickley
SG: Herro
SG2: Baker
PF: EJ
C: Richards

The 2nd team would be a better shooting group most likely but you have some very nice possibilities. Platooning May have to come back...

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking except I think Quickley starts over Hagans. He’s been underestimated on this board lately for some reason.

Definitely could but Hagans seems more like the kind of guard Cal hands the keys too. I also like Quickley as the first backcourt sub.

But we will see. If Quickley is good enough to start then he should start. I don’t get fixated on one player over another. I never thought SGA would be better than Quade but I was glad he was because we needed it.

I know people and I think it was Cal that said never going to platoon again but seriously you add Travis you got 2 sets of 5 players that are ultra good.

1st 5:
PG: Green
PG2: Hagans
SF: Johnson
PF: Washington
C: Travis

2nd 5:
PG: Quickley
SG: Herro
SG2: Baker
PF: EJ
C: Richards

The 2nd team would be a better shooting group most likely but you have some very nice possibilities. Platooning May have to come back...

I would say you have a probable top 7 there, with Richards being number 8 for the most part. Then a couple of wild cards. Doesn’t look like a platoon to me, at least not right now.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Absolutely no chance does quickley start over hagans. None. Quickley is solid, though not as impactful as you'd expect from a 5 star. He'll be more towards the back end of the rotation. He's a multi year player. Not that that's a bad thing.

It's hard to predict starters. Too many possibilities.

I think the rotation will be an 8-man rotation:

Hagans
Green
Quickley
Johnson
Washington
Travis
Montgomery
Richards

Herro and Baker fight for the scraps. One of those two (Herro most likely) might work his way into 10 or so minutes a game.

I don't see us platooning (not in the regular season). Some are overselling Baker because of his shooting skill, IMHO. Remember, he is coming off a major knee injury that costed him an entire season.

I could see Cal doing it in the Bahamas to give him a look at everyone, but not when the games start for real.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT