ADVERTISEMENT

Not necessary UK related. But what do you think is/are the most unbreakable records in sports?

Hank Aaron is still the home run king. And either Cy Young or Cal Ripken's records. Y'all picked some good ones.

Reactions: J_Dee
Rickey Henderson's single season and career SB records.

Doubleheaders are extremely rare these days, so Musial's 5 HR's in a DH seems unlikely.

Modern pitching staff management coupled with the hyper-protecting of multi-million dollar arms, secures Cy Young's 512 career wins record in perpetuity.

Even if a pitcher were to .... Nah. Simply unbreakable.

Michael Phelps' medal haul over 4 Olympic Games is hard to beat. I'd say Lane Armstrong's 7 Tour De France wins, except for his doping and lying.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the one UK related record that will never be broken.

129 straight home court wins.
I thought the exact same thing but I could see the UCONN women breaking the record and hearing ESPN crow about it for a month by comparing it to the UK record.

How about a record that is held by the UK Wildcat mens basketball program. That record being 129 home court wins in a row by a mens college basketball program.
Sorry, ukfan79 didn't realize you had already posted this.

Last edited:
Cy Young's 511 wins is the first thing that I thought of. Aside from Bartolo Colo (237) and CC Sabathia (232), no active pitcher even has 200. Lacky (186) and Verlander (181) are the closest.

Young's record of 749 complete games is also untouchable. A pitcher would have to average 25 complete games over 30 seasons to get to 750.
All these records mentioned in this thread are good, but I instantly thought of Cy Young's complete games record. Baseball is just played differently now and I can say his 749 complete games will never even be sniffed with 100% certainty.

On a side note, its crazy that being one of the best pitchers ever and playing as long as he did, that he never won a single Cy Young award.

Last edited:
Tiger Woods 142 consecutive cuts made. From Feb 1998 to May 2005 he never missed one.

Fat Boy Arnold - He holds the record for farting 533 times in 30 minutes. Nearest competition is Skinny Fat Butt 245 farts in 1 hour and 15 minutes.

UK consecutive football losses to Florida. Last time we beat them the game was still played without face masks.
There are 3 ahead of this. Notre Dame over Navy at 43. Nebraska over Kansas at 36. Oklahoma over K State at 32.

Though Florida over UK at 30 is the longest current one. Surely we'll get one in the next 13 years. Geez I hope so.

Based on what we've come up with here, this is how I would rank the top 10 that will probably never be broken.

1. Cy Young All-Time Wins for a Pitcher (511)
- Next closest is Walter Johnson (417); Most active is Bartolo Colon (237)

2. Pete Rose All-Time Hits (4256)
- Next closest is Ty Cobb (4189); Most active is Ichiro Suzuki (3065)

3. Tiger Woods Consecutive Cuts Made (142)
- Next closest is Byron Nelson (113); Most active is Martin Kaymer (17)

4. Cal Ripken Consecutive Games Played (2632)
- Next closest is Lou Gehrig (2130); Worth noting third all-time is Everett Scott (1307)

5. Wayne Gretzky All-Time Points (2857)
- Next closest is Jaromir Jagr (1914) & amazingly the dude is still playing

6. Nolan Ryan All-Time Strikeouts (5714)
- Next closest is Randy Johnson (4875); Most active is CC Sabathia (2806)

7. Johnny Vander Meer Consecutive No Hitters (2)
- Next closest...obviously a bunch of guys have thrown no hitters. But it's such a rare feat that to do it back to back would be amazing. To have three in a row? Nearly impossible.

8. Joe DiMaggio Hit Streak (56)
- Next closest is Willie Keeler (45); Most active is Odubel Herrera (25)

9. Brett Favre Consecutive Starts at QB (321)
- Next closest is Peyton Manning (227); Most active is Eli Manning (211)

10. Tie: Boston Celtics (8) & UCLA (7) Consecutive Championships in Basketball
- Next closest in NBA is 3, a few franchises have three-peated; San Francisco, OK State, UK, Florida, Cincinnati & Duke have all won back to back at some point.

Based on what we've come up with here, this is how I would rank the top 10 that will probably never be broken.

1. Cy Young All-Time Wins for a Pitcher (511)
- Next closest is Walter Johnson (417); Most active is Bartolo Colon (237)

2. Pete Rose All-Time Hits (4256)
- Next closest is Ty Cobb (4189); Most active is Ichiro Suzuki (3065)

3. Tiger Woods Consecutive Cuts Made (142)
- Next closest is Byron Nelson (113); Most active is Martin Kaymer (17)

4. Cal Ripken Consecutive Games Played (2632)
- Next closest is Lou Gehrig (2130); Worth noting third all-time is Everett Scott (1307)

5. Wayne Gretzky All-Time Points (2857)
- Next closest is Jaromir Jagr (1914) & amazingly the dude is still playing

6. Nolan Ryan All-Time Strikeouts (5714)
- Next closest is Randy Johnson (4875); Most active is CC Sabathia (2806)

7. Johnny Vander Meer Consecutive No Hitters (2)
- Next closest...obviously a bunch of guys have thrown no hitters. But it's such a rare feat that to do it back to back would be amazing. To have three in a row? Nearly impossible.

8. Joe DiMaggio Hit Streak (56)
- Next closest is Willie Keeler (45); Most active is Odubel Herrera (25)

9. Brett Favre Consecutive Starts at QB (321)
- Next closest is Peyton Manning (227); Most active is Eli Manning (211)

10. Tie: Boston Celtics (8) & UCLA (7) Consecutive Championships in Basketball
- Next closest in NBA is 3, a few franchises have three-peated; San Francisco, OK State, UK, Florida, Cincinnati & Duke have all won back to back at some point.

Really? you can't put ryan's 7 no hitters in the #1 category?

The only pitcher close to him is sandy koufax with 4.

Two things will make it nearly impossible to break many of the pitching records.

1 - Pitching rotations used to be 4 starters, but that has been universally increased to 5. Starting pitchers get significantly fewer starts per year now than they did previously.

2 - Most starting pitchers usually are now taken out of the game when they reach a previously determined pitch count (normally 100 pitches.) Pitchers used to throw lots more pitches than that if they were still pitching effectively.

Add in to these two factors the fact that in the old days starting pitchers would often be used out of the bullpen during their time between starts and you can can see how the modern era will not produce record numbers the way they used to be.

As a lifelong baseball fan (Rockies and yes still Reds) I really appreciate all the baseball mentions. Hard to argue with the OP's point on Cy Young. But instead I'll go a different route, one rather close to home for Kentuckians. Secretariat's record in the Belmont. I know it still stands as a North American record, and perhaps as the world record. Either way I know it was one of the most amazing things I ever witnessed, albeit on TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT