ADVERTISEMENT

Not all was bad....reason for hope

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
I am down for another home loss to teams like Vandy, Mizzou and USCjr the last 2 years....sucks that it feels like we're losing ground...but after watching in detail...there are some good things to see.

Good:
- Rayner in relief of Wallace at the Will LB was damn good. Team best with 10 tackles, 5 solo. He's a Jr..so he's back if Wallace goes pro.
- Maxwll Hairston played another good game IMO. Got an Int and he was covering Luther Burden a lot and only 2 receptions for 15 yards. I think we a NFL caliber CB that is 2nd leading surprise of the season (behind Ray Davis)
- Deone Walker was dominate vs a top half SEC Oline. 7 tackles, 1 sack, 4 TFL. And the ass-hat SEC refs never found one of the infinite holding calls on a 1st team all SEC DT.
- Geez...Ray Davis. Is this going to be the best season a UK RB has ever had? 7 yards per carry. Can get you 5 yards in between tackles and hit the homerun. Catches the ball at elite level. Blocks his but off in pass pro. No fumbles (jinx).
- Horsey is back and looked really good. Most of our big shots were off left side. I think we have our Oline set (even when Jager is back)
- DSK has taken the backup RB...and UK is better for it. Can catch it and YAC and capable iin run game.
- For all the WR angst....Tayvion and Dane are solid catching the ball. Let's build an offense passing to Tayvion, Ray, DSK, Dane and some Dingle. There is enough to improve the passing offense.

Bad:
- Jordan Robinson....he is not ready to play CB. He is sort of unplayable to me. I wonder if Hardaway and Dunn are sort of transfer busts as well.
- Zion with another undisciplined game at safety....Buffano needs to calm his rear end down and quit trying to be a Lber and cover his zone
- Brown-Stephens....I don't hink he's ready for college game yet. Drops but also he's not playing like the athlete/speed he was touted
- The punter...>WTH dude.
- Barion Brown...7 targets and only 3 catches for 18 yards. Love affair with him is silly. Not a good WR.
- Dre Phillips....good DB but playd a stinker. I think we need a taller CB at his spot and he's more of a nickel IMO

We couldn't stop the wide receivers and they looked way better then our CBs did. More smarter faster and I think of the other side where our WRs couldn't do what Missouri did. That's a bad sign. Stoops doesn't have a plan once he's out coached and the staff isn't up to power in a power 5 conference IMO. These have been warning signs for over 4 years and I wonder if Kentucky can ever win a game if they have to throw the ball. The defense was 20th in the country against nobody's but played two good teams and looked awful now. The only bright spot is Walker. He's amazing other then that nothing good. Not much talent for SEC play for be a top 6-7 team. We are always going to be 8-10 at best in the SEC, where our recruiting class ranks in the league each year.

I am down for another home loss to teams like Vandy, Mizzou and USCjr the last 2 years....sucks that it feels like we're losing ground...but after watching in detail...there are some good things to see.

Good:
- Rayner in relief of Wallace at the Will LB was damn good. Team best with 10 tackles, 5 solo. He's a Jr..so he's back if Wallace goes pro.
- Maxwll Hairston played another good game IMO. Got an Int and he was covering Luther Burden a lot and only 2 receptions for 15 yards. I think we a NFL caliber CB that is 2nd leading surprise of the season (behind Ray Davis)
- Deone Walker was dominate vs a top half SEC Oline. 7 tackles, 1 sack, 4 TFL. And the ass-hat SEC refs never found one of the infinite holding calls on a 1st team all SEC DT.
- Geez...Ray Davis. Is this going to be the best season a UK RB has ever had? 7 yards per carry. Can get you 5 yards in between tackles and hit the homerun. Catches the ball at elite level. Blocks his but off in pass pro. No fumbles (jinx).
- Horsey is back and looked really good. Most of our big shots were off left side. I think we have our Oline set (even when Jager is back)
- DSK has taken the backup RB...and UK is better for it. Can catch it and YAC and capable iin run game.
- For all the WR angst....Tayvion and Dane are solid catching the ball. Let's build an offense passing to Tayvion, Ray, DSK, Dane and some Dingle. There is enough to improve the passing offense.

Bad:
- Jordan Robinson....he is not ready to play CB. He is sort of unplayable to me. I wonder if Hardaway and Dunn are sort of transfer busts as well.
- Zion with another undisciplined game at safety....Buffano needs to calm his rear end down and quit trying to be a Lber and cover his zone
- Brown-Stephens....I don't hink he's ready for college game yet. Drops but also he's not playing like the athlete/speed he was touted
- Barion Brown...7 targets and only 3 catches for 18 yards. Love affair with him is silly. Not a good WR.
- Dre Phillips....good DB but playd a stinker. I think we need a taller CB at his spot and he's more of a nickel IMO
Agree on all points, couldn't bring myself to watch it again. I want to see the team that beat UF show up for more of our games

Reactions: bluecoon1
Mizzou only lost one game so far iirc so that loss is definitely no vandy level imo. The way we lost is what made it bad.

This season will turn around quickly if the players decide to return to selfless football and stop losing their composure. We beat ourselves vs Mizzou when we had them blown out. Yes some calls and things went against us, but we can't just implode.

The players are there. The scheme is there. The coaching is there. Just execute and play together and we can literally win out.

We couldn't stop the wide receivers and they looked way better then our CBs did. More smarter faster and I think of the other side where our WRs couldn't do what Missouri did. That's a bad sign. Stoops doesn't have a plan once he's out coached and the staff isn't up to power in a power 5 conference IMO. These have been warning signs for over 4 years and I wonder if Kentucky can ever win a game if they have to throw the ball. The defense was 20th in the country against nobody's but played two good teams and looked awful now. The only bright spot is Walker. He's amazing other than that nothing good. Not much talent for SEC play for be a top 6-7 team. We are always going to be 8-10 at best in the SEC, where our recruiting class ranks in the league each year.
At least we have a chance this weekend.

Well the negatives are no shot at playoff or SEC East title and no new years 6 bowl.

The good news is they can still win some games and make it into the who gives a crap bowl again.

Sorry, not seeing many positives for this programs in season or future trajectory. Between the Titans n NFL and UK in college, I have some teams with bleak futures.

Good:

Bad:
Definitely agree with your CB assessment.

We couldn't stop the wide receivers and they looked way better then our CBs did. More smarter faster and I think of the other side where our WRs couldn't do what Missouri did. That's a bad sign. Stoops doesn't have a plan once he's out coached and the staff isn't up to power in a power 5 conference IMO. These have been warning signs for over 4 years and I wonder if Kentucky can ever win a game if they have to throw the ball. The defense was 20th in the country against nobody's but played two good teams and looked awful now. The only bright spot is Walker. He's amazing other then that nothing good. Not much talent for SEC play for be a top 6-7 team. We are always going to be 8-10 at best in the SEC, where our recruiting class ranks in the league each year.
We have four "dudes" on the team.
Davis
Walker
Hariston
Wallace
The rest are near bottom of the conference talents.

Reactions: gobigbluebell
We have four "dudes" on the team.
Davis
Walker
Hariston
Wallace
The rest are near bottom of the conference talents.
While I agree those guys could play on about any other SEC team (Hairston may be a reach)....I do feel like these guys could play on SEC teams not named Vandy

Alex Afari
Horsey
DeRyck Jackson
Marques Cox
Silver
Eli Cox is a hard call
Flax has been shockingly pretty damn good IMO.
Raynor the FG kicker has been money all year

But to your point....JJ has been way underwhelming of what I'd thought he'd be. I hope Lovett would play better than he has been. Key/Brown are not top notch WR we'd thought they would be.

While I agree those guys could play on about any other SEC team (Hairston may be a reach)....I do feel like these guys could play on SEC teams not named Vandy

Alex Afari
Horsey
DeRyck Jackson
Marques Cox
Silver
Eli Cox is a hard call

But to your point....JJ has been way underwhelming of what I'd thought he'd be. I hope Lovett would play better than he has been. Key/Brown are not top notch WR we'd thought they would be.
I'm big on leadership by players, especially upper classmen. Weaver/Horsey are two I'd expect to lead the way but haven't.

E. Cox had a miserable game vs MO, was pretty much dominated, had two brutal, costly holding calls. Sure as hell hope Keenum is as advertised, move E. Cox back to OG.

Flax made a misread on a blitz that cost a sack. Took an outside blitzer and let an interior DL come clean. Talking heads mentioned it, said he should've let the outside guy go, RB could pick that guy up and that OL has to ALWAYS protect the inside.

Alex Afari
Horsey
DeRyck Jackson
Marques Cox
Silver
Eli Cox is a hard call

Afari was definitely my choice for next best.
Kinda concerned about the young talent stepping into starting roles.
Will Bingham, Hall, Rodriguez or Keenum step into starting roles or will we have to sign stop gap guys in the portal.
Brown-Stephenson has been lackluster but apparently he's ahead of Porter, Crowdus, and the rest of the frosh receivers.
Also I know there is not a lot of carries behind Davis but I'm a little concerned that Wilcox has not challenged for RB2.
When he was signed, I was under the impression that he was the future of the run game.. The bar is pretty low to be Davis" backup. Will he be ready next year or do we have to replace Davis in the portal?

Reactions: K_TIME
Afari was definitely my choice for next best.
Kinda concerned about the young talent stepping into starting roles.
Will Bingham, Hall, Rodriguez or Keenum step into starting roles or will we have to sign stop gap guys in the portal.
Brown-Stephenson has been lackluster but apparently he's ahead of Porter, Crowdus, and the rest of the frosh receivers.
Also I know there is not a lot of carries behind Davis but I'm a little concerned that Wilcox has not challenged for RB2.
When he was signed, I was under the impression that he was the future of the run game.. The bar is pretty low to be Davis" backup. Will he be ready next year or do we have to replace Davis in the portal?
Saw last week Bingham is no longer with the team and don't forget Hall supposedly has had back surgery, no telling when or if he'll be back. Looks as if UK will have to rely on a heavy dose of portal.

I'm with you re Wilcox. When he signed the comment was that he was "an electric playmaker." If true, plug him in.

Reactions: SkyPrince1
Saw last week Bingham is no longer with the team and don't forget Hall supposedly has had back surgery, no telling when or if he'll be back. Looks as if UK will have to rely on a heavy dose of portal.

I'm with you re Wilcox. When he signed the comment was that he was "an electric playmaker." If true, plug him in.
Bingham is gone? I didn't see that. If true, I hate that. He was a road grater offensive guard...better Oline than Austin Dotson a few years back..... Man I hope this isn't true.

Bingham is gone? I didn't see that. If true, I hate that. He was a road grater offensive guard...better Oline than Austin Dotson a few years back..... Man I hope this isn't true.
Saw it last week on Twitter or X or whatever its name is today. But haven't seen it elsewhere so it may not be true. Surprised it hasn't been reported.

Why would Bingham leave? Man o man

I really don’t see much reason for hope. That’s just me though. I see some players who play hard and smart (a few). I see a lot who are just undisciplined. I see a lot who just aren’t ready, and may never be. I see a staff that seems confused and not on the same page. I see lot more losses coming unfortunately. I guess I’ll hope for 7 wins. I’ll keep watching though, it’s my team.

Saw it last week on Twitter or X or whatever its name is today. But haven't seen it elsewhere so it may not be true. Surprised it hasn't been reported.
It might be meaningless, but UK’s official site still lists Bingham with the team.

I see one player on d line that could start on the top 8 teams in conference. None on O line, only Davis on offense, and as Spurrier once SAID we have a good kicker. Talent level on this team was VASTLY overhyped preseason as the next few games will prove. We need an upgrade almost everywhere. Wallace has been a huge disappointment this year as has our entire recieving corps. With league expansion and dissolution of East/West Division, the future looks grim

I see one player on d line that could start on the top 8 teams in conference. None on O line, only Davis on offense, and as Spurrier once SAID we have a good kicker. Talent level on this team was VASTLY overhyped preseason as the next few games will prove. We need an upgrade almost everywhere. Wallace has been a huge disappointment this year as has our entire recieving corps. With league expansion and dissolution of East/West Division, the future looks grim
Don't agree on Wallace.
Weaver maybe.

Haven’t seen it. As a Ky kid I’d imagine there would be more of a story if it were true. Guess we will find out in a couple months

Reactions: mrschwump
On Dline

Walker for sure as you note
I’d argue in a 3-4 scheme Silver for sure starts on some of top 8
To a less degree Ox is at worst rotation guy

In Oline
Horsey has been all sec already
Marques Cox has played damn good on left side
Heck we are best rushing team by a mile so that group can’t suck as you’re arguing

Wr have the worse playing Qb by stats and his play is lower by Wr drops….those are what is pulling down the team

As far as D…we still rank in top 6 sec D at this point.

Let’s stop arguing we have crap talent just because we’ve played two poor games

We are either poorly Coached or our line talent in both sides is poor. We cannot pass block and we cannot rush the passer
We do fine running the ball & stopping the run
UT will be in Leary face from the first snap. Milton is not a good QB but he will have all day to throw against us - time is everything for a QB

Can anybody who knows football alot better than me, tell me why Kentucky plays 10 yards on WRs when they need 5 yards and give up easy completions every time

Good:

Bad:
i have to disagree on Key, he has not shown that he is solid at catching the ball
i believe i read that he leads the SEC and maybe the nation in dropped passes

i have to disagree on Key, he has not shown that he is solid at catching the ball
i believe i read that he leads the SEC and maybe the nation in dropped passes
Well last two games he’s had zero drops va our best competition. And he had two nice receptions wiped out by another player penalty that would have been drive extended plays….and Dane had no drops issues last season

our Jim's and joe's are average . Our coaching is atrocious . thats about all you need to hear when trying to compete in the SEC .

Reactions: bigbluedon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT