ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina Board of Education ends HS NIL

Thought this was interesting as we have seen an increase in states allowing HS NIL. NC decided to go the other direction after allowing NIL of HS athletes over the past year.

NC HS NIL
This is fantastic, I think. I'm not feeling well enough (sugar issues) to read the article. Is this something that could help get this NIL situation at the college level under control?

As long as I can still make as much money as I can I’m happy, screw everyone else. The less people allowed to make money the better imo, because then it makes my money more valuable
I think what you're going to see is a lot of the big time players in NC go to private HS's so they can still get NIL. This decision will drastically effect top flight athletes in public schools in NC. I think, before long, they will shift back to NIL.

Reactions: Fox2monk
We ain't communists!
If a human has a talent of some sort that society views as valuable, then that humans deserves and should be able to get his/her value, no matter their age or grade. Maybe you put that money in a trust til they turn 18, but never do you keep them from earning what they deserve.

Again… I don’t see what authority a HS Board of Education has to ban, or conversely approve, whether anyone can be paid to offer an endorsement, have their face or name printed on t-shirts, do commercials, do autograph signings, or whatever. It’s none of their business.

I hate the NIL world, but frankly HS kids/families can tell the Board to piss off regarding this matter.

As long as I can still make as much money as I can I’m happy, screw everyone else. The less people allowed to make money the better imo, because then it makes my money more valuable
You can make as much as possible, as long as you are not doing it in my school. Otherwise, the school will have to hire a GM for agents who want to negotiate a contract. Then, the rich get richer the poor get poorer from an educational perspective!

We ain't communists!
If a human has a talent of some sort that society views as valuable, then that humans deserves and should be able to get his/her value, no matter their age or grade. Maybe you put that money in a trust til they turn 18, but never do you keep them from earning what they deserve.
Yeah but how much money are HS players bringing in to their schools? Paying HS kids is just over the top IMO.

I was agreeing with you. Thats why you read the full post
Ufc 196 Smh GIF by Conor McGregor

Reading more about this, it's an absolute cluster**** and makes NIL even more complicated in North Carolina. Absolutely the wrong move. The rules do not apply to North Carolina private schools, only public schools. So, basically what it will do is stack the playing field significantly in favor of private schools. Really sounds like another half-baked idea from politicians who lack real world experience in HS sports. Not sure how this benefits anyone -- like at all (other than private schools & prep schools).

“We’re being penalized because our children are going through public schools, and we can’t afford to put them in a private school,” the parent of a North Carolina 2026 athlete who wished to stay anonymous told On3. “But he’s thriving. And he’s bringing so much public attention to the state of North Carolina. Why is he not able to capitalize on all his hard work?”

Reading more about this, it's an absolute cluster**** and makes NIL even more complicated in North Carolina. Absolutely the wrong move. The rules do not apply to North Carolina private schools, only public schools. So, basically what it will do is stack the playing field significantly in favor of private schools. Really sounds like another half-baked idea from politicians who lack real world experience in HS sports. Not sure how this benefits anyone -- like at all.
Low level state officials usually suck. KHSAA for example has been terrible for as long as i remember. The transfer rules specifically

So hs kids shouldnt be able to have jobs? Yeah this is def getting thrown out. Its really weird ppl are trying to stop ppl from earning a fair market value.

IT's not weird when you consider two things (1) the political leanings of the majority of those complaining (2) who is receiving this money. Through that lens is makes perfect sense.

The “CAROLINA WAY”. So glad you don’t hear this since their cheating ways were revealed!!

It'll get challenged in a court and get reversed. It's unconstitutional, just like it was in college. The supreme court all agree 9-0. And they don't all agree on anything.

Sorry, I don't feel like a kid playing basketball for their high school team should be paid. That's not a job. If they're playing ball for something not associated with their school, then that's up to them, but for a team associated with their high school, it should not be allowed. Being paid means they are no longer an amateur and should not able to play on their high school team. Just my thoughts; I know many don't agree and that's okay.

Reactions: westerncat
Sorry, I don't feel like a kid playing basketball for their high school team should be paid. That's not a job. If they're playing ball for something not associated with their school, then that's up to them, but for a team associated with their high school, it should not be allowed. Being paid means they are no longer an amateur and should not able to play on their high school team. Just my thoughts; I know many don't agree and that's okay.

There’s one thing I know with all my heart. Whatever stupid job you have for a living, you make way too much, and my very important job pays me way too little. I also think you should spend your discretionary income on things I enjoy like NIL but think it’s pretty offensive to ask me to pay my hard earned money towards that crap. I’m also taxed too much and you too little, and you’re also greedy but I’m just trying to get what is mine fair and square.

Reactions: kwhdmd
There’s one thing I know with all my heart. Whatever stupid job you have for a living, you make way too much, and my very important job pays me way too little. I also think you should spend your discretionary income on things I enjoy like NIL but think it’s pretty offensive to ask me to pay my hard earned money towards that crap. I’m also taxed too much and you too little, and you’re also greedy but I’m just trying to get what is mine fair and square.
As long as the schools themselves stay out of the paying, I am ok with the kid getting paid. If he can make money advertising for a local car company. Great for him. Schools, especially government run schools should not be in the business of being a middleman for the kid like colleges have become. That should stay in the private sector.

As long as the schools themselves stay out of the paying, I am ok with the kid getting paid. If he can make money advertising for a local car company. Great for him. Schools, especially government run schools should not be in the business of being a middleman for the kid like colleges have become. That should stay in the private sector.

As long as you make less than me it’s all good in my book. Again, to be clear, I’d like to make as much as possible with virtually no restrictions and you can be restricted as much as possible, I’m fine with that.

Reactions: kwhdmd
As long as you make less than me it’s all good in my book. Again, to be clear, I’d like to make as much as possible with virtually no restrictions and you can be restricted as much as possible, I’m fine with that.
NIL is not getting paid to play. It is getting paid for your advertising value. Schools do not pay for advertising. NIL developed as a way for college athletes to get paid and still maintain their amateur status because they are not getting paid directly for playing basketball.

Reactions: UKBlueBlood
NIL is not getting paid to play. It is getting paid for your advertising value. Schools do not pay for advertising. NIL developed as a way for college athletes to get paid and still maintain their amateur status because they are not getting paid directly for playing basketball.

I don’t think public schools should pay for kids to play sports either, seeing as how that’s coming from tax dollars. Is someone arguing for that?

One thing that I know with all my heard is that I don't really care what you think. I don't make much at all, but I still have enough common sense to know that a kid playing high school basketball, should not be paid for doing it, As I said, I know that some people don't agree, but my opinion is just as valid as yours.

Reactions: natchezrule
One thing that I know with all my heard is that I don't really care what you think. I don't make much at all, but I still have enough common sense to know that a kid playing high school basketball, should not be paid for doing it, As I said, I know that some people don't agree, but my opinion is just as valid as yours.

Your opinion is interesting, as it simply advocates for the government to control who can make an income. It’s similar to me saying Miley Cyrus should not have made any money as Hannah Montana, or a kid in a commercial or movie shouldn’t get paid. As a matter of fact, I don’t think anyone in your profession should be paid, and I think whatever you are making is too much. Again, that’s my opinion and very much as valid as yours.

We ain't communists!
Why do they deserve it in HS?

I don’t think public schools should pay for kids to play sports either, seeing as how that’s coming from tax dollars. Is someone arguing for that?
When you say you want virtually no restrictions, yes you are arguing for them to get paid however which sure sounds like it includes directly by any school.

I might also add that schools who pay kids directly are risking the kids amateur status and they could be subject to penalties at the college level. Just ask Ivisic(sp) and Kanter about that.

Reactions: KFuqua
We ain't communists!
Just can’t play HS sports. It’s cool bro

I agree 100%

Your opinion is interesting, as it simply advocates for the government to control who can make an income. It’s similar to me saying Miley Cyrus should not have made any money as Hannah Montana, or a kid in a commercial or movie shouldn’t get paid. As a matter of fact, I don’t think anyone in your profession should be paid, and I think whatever you are making is too much. Again, that’s my opinion and very much as valid as yours.
Miley didn’t make it performing for her HS. Your logic stinks

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT