ADVERTISEMENT

Nonsense argument that vacating titles doesn't matter, cause it still happened??

LineSkiCat14

All-American
Aug 5, 2015
I don't get this argument at all. No, that title didn't happen. You cheated. You used an advantage that might have otherwise given you a team that was only worth a Final4 instead of a title.. or maybe less than that.

How can UofL fans and pundits say "Well, the game still happened, it's still our title. Those players still won the game and so did Rick"? The NCAA is about to erase it from the history books. You can say you have a title, everyone else knows otherwise. You can't use the 2013 title in any argument comparing programs..

Been hearing this a lot the last few days. Can't help but laugh. If you cheat in the Olympics, they strip your medal. Everyone seems to agree with that. Why is this different? Because the players played hard or some crap? Doesn't matter. Dumb.

They are just on stage 1.

5-stages-of-grief.png

If the title is vacated then it is gone and NEVER existed. If they choose to claim it anyway they have to admit they cheated to get there.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
That's what's funny.. they think they can just say "Well, it happened".. like we all have to accept it, almost as if it's court of law.

My town has 3 token Lousiville fans who all say that to them the title will still count. That title holds about as much weight now as KU's Helms banners. It's pretty laughable considering they bash Cal for Memphis and UMASS

I have a different take on all this.
I love the fact UL is having wins, championships taken away, but I feel this is only hurting their fans when the real punishment should have been given to the head coach.
If the NCAA truly feels this violation is one that deserves a severe penalty and wants to get the attention of all coaches, programs, then they should have suspended Slick Rick for 6 months or longer.
That would have gotten the attention of all AD's and coaches.

But, I will take this and enjoy it anyway.

Reactions: lonnie boyd
As far as I'm concerned and as far as the record books are concerned, UofL has only 2 National Championships. They can pound their chest all they want but they cannot claim that title any more than Memphis can claim the 2009 Runner Up.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I don't blame the UofL fans at all for using the argument that "It still happened." It's true. It did. And we would do the exact same thing if for some reason we were stripped of a title. So I'm not sure that deriding them for that type of thinking is valid.

I can make fun of that fan base for MANY things but I certainly don't blame them for taking that stance. It's all they've got left.

U of L brought in Pitino to win Championships and he now has NONE and ZERO ACC Tournament wins. He DOES have 2 sex scandals, however. Hell of a hire! [laughing]

Reactions: ulismyman
While Louisville and UNC are proven cheaters who deserve harsh penalties, I continue to lack respect for the NCAA and many of its practices.

The only argument that makes sense is how can people like us denounce NCAA selective enforcement, NCAA questionable championship selection and officiating practices, even champion the removal of NCAA authority altogether then at the same time, stand behind the NCAA sanctions of our closest rivals?

Last edited:
As I've said, memphis people use this same argument for the 08 final four. I've heard it for a decade.

"Me and my son watched that final four happen, they cant take away"

My answer is well, a murderer goes to prison even though he still has the memory of the killing. So?

Having this stripped is heavily problematic. Memories mean nothing, the historical record does. What is Nixon remembered for? The memories of being president, or being impeached?

Its just a way to cope with the truth.

A race horse that wins the Kentucky derby while on a drug that gives him a boost would lose his Derby win due to a rules violation. Sure he still won but not while playing by the rules. Do you still claim he's the winner when they disqualify him?

Yep! They've done nothing but throw dirt in our faces about Calipari and his vacated Final 4s since the day here was hired here. Now all of a sudden because it's them, their mentality is "vacated seasons mean nothing! We still won those games regardless!."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT