ADVERTISEMENT

No wildcat formation?

Nov 25, 2006
Just realized that we haven't seen it...like, at all. Whatever your feeling about that, it's quite a change from pervious years.

Every team should use the toss sweep.
I would use it a few times and also have Wan’Dale coming for reverse hand-off.

Reactions: mrschwump
THANK GOD. I never want to see that crap again. It was cool and weird 12 years ago when Darren McFadden was running it, now it’s just outdated and a waste of a play. I never ever want to see it again.

I feel like we should run 1 wildcat play per season and that would be any play against South Carolina after that scrap it.

Reactions: The-Hack
As I said in another thread, Robinson in the wildcat is money. I’m all about putting people in the right spots to succeed based on their skill sets. We legit won games with the wildcat. Problem was we had to run it out of necessity. We literally have not had a quarterback. I love the wildcat when it part of a proper package.

Reactions: The-Hack
Why would you run the wildcat when 1. You have the kind of backfield we have. 2. You have a qb who can move it himself with his legs? If it’s 3 yards to go you could get a dose of one our rbs, or a dose of our qb running the ball, or a dose of our qb passing the ball. There isn’t much mystery direct snap Rodriguez or Robinson. Robison out or the backfield might get beat up. I wouldn’t expose him to big defensive linemen

Why would you run the wildcat when 1. You have the kind of backfield we have. 2. You have a qb who can move it himself with his legs? If it’s 3 yards to go you could get a dose of one our rbs, or a dose of our qb running the ball, or a dose of our qb passing the ball. There isn’t much mystery direct snap Rodriguez or Robinson. Robison out or the backfield might get beat up. I wouldn’t expose him to big defensive linemen
Because for all you perceive to gain iwth CRod and Robinson in the backfield and the options/confusion it presents....you will literally have all 11 defensive players up bunched in the box and totally flying to the ball without any reservations to the pass or spreading out the field.

Watching Mizzou play close to the line to stop our run, it was clear how the play option really set up the big pass plays. When Wan’Dale caught his last long pass, the linebackers and at least one safety were crashing the line when they realized it was a pass and attempted to retreat. Levis did not connect on many, but averaged 9.9 yards per pass. Whereas Bazelak passed 34 times and averaged 5.8 per pass. Having a punishing running attack that often starts with the QB under center is helping on the big pass plays.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
I like the wildcat when set up right, used sparingly, and with an element of motion to it.

you get an extra blocker for the HB smash and dive plays. We’ve seen that be helpful.

the extra blocker only helps you though if the other team has to respect a WR in motion, or even perhaps a double pass.

if they can just crash down the middle, the wildcat loses all its effectiveness. Which we’ve also seen happen because it seems we rarely use trickery or motion out of that formation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT