ADVERTISEMENT

No playoff contention = your season is over

R.O.T.Muckinfush

Sophomore
Jul 13, 2017
With the playoff expansion and more expansion to follow, bowls are now totally irrellavent and mean next to nothing. Alot more players will opt out. Equivalent of NIT tourney in bball but even less exciting. If you aren't in contention for a playoff spot it is hard to be excited about the rest of the season other than to play spoiler for other teams. Just my take but I'm sure the majority of sports fans would agree.

Absolutely true. In basketball there are 68 teams in the playoffs. Obviously since you can play every other day on the weekends you get the final 4 in two weekends or 4 games. Football obviously is only one game a week so once the final 12 are selected all that remains are boring bowl games with no significant meaning at all. You are correct bowl games = NIT. NOT IN TOURNAMENT. or NIP. NOT IN PLAYOFFS.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
No its not. Winning a National Championship is over but Ky still has alot of games left and alot to play tor.
Only 12 out of how many teams make the playoffs?
I guess the rest should just fold up shop and stop playing with this mentality?
I dont think so.

Would be cool if they had an NIT style format for the 12 or 16 teams not in the main tournament. Like who is the best of the mediocre teams. Unfortunately UK wouldn't even make that tournament.

Last edited:
Honestly, my interest in bowl games was starting to wane over the last few years with the sheer number of bowl games and the opt outs. I look forward to an expansion from 12 to 16 playoff teams in the near future. Will be great having meaningful games to watch thoughout the month of December.

One of the biggest factors is now the transfer portal window, which is December 9 - December 28. I understand the time frame due to spring enrollment, but the fact there are 30 bowl games during this period is a major mistake. Most kids who want to transfer are going to opt out and hit the transfer portal early. Add that to seniors who will opt out or guys prepping for the draft and bowl games are becoming less and less watchable.

The playoff doesn't have an impact for me...it's the opt outs and transfers that do.

Outside of the top few, bowls were always meaningless
Practically speaking..you’re probably right

But I used to care mkre about outback bowl etc

Now….i care a ton less for some reason…and to the OP point…I imagine after a team hits 3 losses…I can see players snd fans dropping interest for rest of season

I will be watching all 11 playoff games in the expanded 12 team CFP. The atmosphere for the on-campus first round playoff games for seeds #5-#8 should be through the roof. The entire CFP will dominate the interest of football fans.

It remains to be seen what happens to "bowl games". So far most bowls have drawn decent ESPN ratings during the holiday season, and fans continue to go to them helping the economy of host cities. I can see the major, traditional bowls continuing, but we'll likely see fewer minor bowls in the future. Motivation and opt-outs relegate these games to little but exhibitions. We saw major teams last year lay an egg in their bowls after missing the playoffs (Florida State & Ohio State). If the players have little interest, then the fans will eventually lose interest.

Reactions: Ugoff
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT