ADVERTISEMENT

No Girl Friend?

MrHotDice

All-American
Nov 1, 2002
My wife who is not a sports nut like everyone else in my family was watching the Cal gone, Cal stays, pope coverage for the last 2 weeks. I was trying to explain the transfer portal and she asked if any of these players stayed at the school they originally signed with. Not anymore I told her and she asked Dont they have girlfriends. I wonder if the players have any friends at UK. Wilcat Lodge. Craft Center. Just pure iso. No wonder many feel these players have no program loyalty. PITINO hit the nail on the head
Every player is now a professional. With NIL their are no more amateurs.

I'll say what I tell my kids, girlfriends/boyfriends should not impact life decisions at their age (I also told my one that he shouldn't let sports teams he supports (UK) should not determine where he gets his education (in case he wanted to go to UNC or Duke)). And I think that generation is less about steady girlfriend/boyfriend relationships than what many of us experienced. Maybe I'm wrong.

My wife who is not a sports nut like everyone else in my family was watching the Cal gone, Cal stays, pope coverage for the last 2 weeks. I was trying to explain the transfer portal and she asked if any of these players stayed at the school they originally signed with. Not anymore I told her and she asked Dont they have girlfriends. I wonder if the players have any friends at UK. Wilcat Lodge. Craft Center. Just pure iso. No wonder many feel these players have no program loyalty. PITINO hit the nail on the head
Well true amateurism went out the window when they started letting professionals compete in the Olympics. The fact Collegiate athletics tried to hang onto it is a farce.

If they are not going to be amateurs, they need to sign at least 2-year contracts to receive NIL. The NBA locks guys in, NCAA teams should be able to do the same. Entering the portal to go to the highest bidder season after season is the game killer, not the fact they are getting paid (legally). Just too much woke Wild West stuff from the NCAA being scared to take a stance.

Any 18 year old college kid who would base his college and professional decisions on a ho has got doodoo for brains.

If they are not going to be amateurs, they need to sign at least 2-year contracts to receive NIL. The NBA locks guys in, NCAA teams should be able to do the same. Entering the portal to go to the highest bidder season after season is the game killer, not the fact they are getting paid (legally). Just too much woke Wild West stuff from the NCAA being scared to take a stance.

Getting paid is woke now? Man. So are the good guys commies now? So confused by this.

Getting paid is woke now? Man. So are the good guys commies now? So confused by this.
Not sure you could have misinterpreted that any worse. If the university makes money off them, they should be paid. My comment is that the NCAA has become woke. They were on the other end of the spectrum until the last few years, but now have just given up. Just a poorly ran organization. When they try to reign things in it will all be too far gone.

If they’re smart they’ll stay away from women all together until they get in the league. Too much risk in so many ways

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Imagine a scenario where you get a giant NIL bag from Liberty, which leads you to do no due diligence, and you just say “I’ll just get a new gf when I get there” 😂😂😂
Well in previous times, Jerry Falwell Jr’s wife could help out with that.

The foundational question is why are colleges also professional sports franchises. Schools need to get out of the entertainment business.

Not sure you could have misinterpreted that any worse. If the university makes money off them, they should be paid. My comment is that the NCAA has become woke. They were on the other end of the spectrum until the last few years, but now have just given up. Just a poorly ran organization. When they try to reign things in it will all be too far gone.
Dude, you’re just throwing the word “woke” around as a buzzword at this point, to mean something bad. I mean, in 2024 that’s basically its colloquial meaning to nearly half the country, so I’m not even going to say you’re using it wrong. It’s just played out and overused, so it’s largely lost any meaning besides “bad”. This is a prime example. You don’t like the NCAA, it’s bad, so that = woke. It just comes off as simple and a bit juvenile at this point.

They have jersey chasers. They cheat like crazy and there's no shortage of girls presenting themselves as options.

This is in general, by the way.

College athletics are quite ugly behind the scenes. lol

We were told this week that Big Z didn’t want to leave his UK girlfriend but he did it anyway to take a two million dollar NIL deal at Arkansas. $2 million can buy you a lot of plane tickets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And maybe she’ll transfer too.

Prior to the NIL and transfer portal opening the NCAA and schools had all the leverage. Now with NIL and an open portal it has totally flipped to where the players are the ones with the leverage. We totally passed up the compromise.

If the university makes money off them, they should be paid. My comment is that the NCAA has become woke. They were on the other end of the spectrum until the last few years, but now have just given up. Just a poorly ran organization. When they try to reign things in it will all be too far gone.
AAU makes pretty good money off basketball players. Some high schools make money off high school football players. So high schools and AAU should be paying high school players? Of course not...

Most state high school athletics associations have transfer-eligibility restrictions which have been upheld by the courts without concluding that these transfer restrictions somehow create an employer-employee relationship. The NCAA has essentially let go of the reins with transfers and NIL to fend off legal arguments that there is somehow an employer-employee relationship. The whole thing is a friggin' mess, and the blame goes far beyond just the NCAA. There are more than just a few jagoff appellate judges out there who want craft college sports to fall in line with their view of how the world should be.

Reactions: TX-Wildcat
We were told this week that Big Z didn’t want to leave his UK girlfriend but he did it anyway to take a two million dollar NIL deal at Arkansas. $2 million can buy you a lot of plane tickets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If he doesn't play more consistently next year than he did this year someone overpaid. 😂

If he doesn't play more consistently next year than he did this year someone overpaid. 😂
This is why I think the villain theme fits Cal so well right now. No way on Earth Cal will get two million dollars worth of on-court performance out of Zvonimir this year. But it’s less unreasonable to say he may have taken two million dollars worth of on-court performance away from us.

This is why I think the villain theme fits Cal so well right now. No way on Earth Cal will get two million dollars worth of on-court performance out of Zvonimir this year. But it’s less unreasonable to say he may have taken two million dollars worth of on-court performance away from us.
The Cal/ARK desire to be relevant again, our expectation to return to glory, other late season coaching changes, etc. (all which create empty rosters) are the catalysts to create “villians” who are simply acting within the “rules”. Buying rosters will just get worse. All NCAA money sports are impacted. NCAA basketball is on a trajectory to basically be pro basketball, but with defense being played and no contracts. That said, sure as heck beats the product the NBA puts out.

Who released details of Z's NIL at Ark?

Speaking of girlfriends, can you imagine being Sheppard’s GF. Once he goes pro soon, does she drop out of school and tag along? Long distance relationships work occasionally, but he will be a multimillionaire star player living in a huge NBA city.

My advice to her would be to keep him on campus a few more years!!

Reactions: littlecreek
I'll say what I tell my kids, girlfriends/boyfriends should not impact life decisions at their age (I also told my one that he shouldn't let sports teams he supports (UK) should not determine where he gets his education (in case he wanted to go to UNC or Duke)). And I think that generation is less about steady girlfriend/boyfriend relationships than what many of us experienced. Maybe I'm wrong.

Well Reed Sheppard girlfriend is slinging on him like saran wrap. She would go berserk if he left her lol.

I'll go further; if Cal had stayed at Kentucky I think he'd have urged Z to go pro to make room for Somto and Quaintance. Cal lured him away from UK out of spite. That's okay; UK will get the last laugh against Cal.

Speaking of girlfriends, can you imagine being Sheppard’s GF. Once he goes pro soon, does she drop out of school and tag along? Long distance relationships work occasionally, but he will be a multimillionaire star player living in a huge NBA city.

My advice to her would be to keep him on campus a few more years!!
That's when they get pregnant.

It is never about what anyone is worth, it is about what they can negotiate.

If you think it is an overpay then don't agree to the request and counter and/or live with not coming to terms.

Reactions: chroix
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT