ADVERTISEMENT

No EJ Montgomery for NBA Draft Combine

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
Per Jon Rothstein.

This is pretty big.

I thought reports were that he had gotten an invite?

This would mean (IMO) that EJ is almost certainly going to be back next season.

ALSO OF NOTE: No Blackshear from Va Tech. He is weighing his NBA decision as well before deciding on a transfer. This could mean he's almost certain to elect to return to college.

Last edited:
Looks like Jerry Tipton and company were either incorrect about his invitation, or he turned it down (which almost certainly means he is returning to Lexington).

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Montgomery wasn't on the secondary combine list (the G-League combine) either. That's very strange. At this point a transfer may be more likely than a jump to the NBA.

Transfer? Why?

I'm not suggesting he WILL transfer, only that it may be a more likely option than leaving for the NBA. The 'why' would be unhappiness with how he was used this past season and a potentially loaded frontcourt that may be about to add two more players.

Could EJ still be invited to individual team work outs, or does a player have to be selected to the combine first?

Could EJ still be invited to individual team work outs, or does a player have to be selected to the combine first?

Yes I believe he can still be invited to individual workouts, but not many NBA teams will invest time and money in prospects that aren't even seen as good enough to be invited to the combine. Each team only has 2 picks, they'll probably find those 2 in the combine.

I'm not suggesting he WILL transfer, only that it may be a more likely option than leaving for the NBA. The 'why' would be unhappiness with how he was used this past season and a potentially loaded frontcourt that may be about to add two more players.

I think you’re assuming a lot. We have no idea if we’re adding more frontcourt guys or not. Transferring and having to sit out another year would be stupid.

I haven’t read anywhere that says EJ was unhappy with how Cal used him.

I added it to the top but also of note: No Blackshear from Virginia Tech. This would mean (IMO) that he is more than likely going to elect to return to college as well and transfer.

I'm just saying....look at Wenyen and Briscoe.

They both jumped without any real look. Briscoe had to go do it overseas. Gabriel got a contract. Both of those guys were top10-15ish guys that came back. Both wanted to be pros the day they walked in...like most ranked that high.

Now I pray that EJ returns....but it's taking a while for a decision. Ashton knew he was coming back...and he could've gotten a combine invite. Nick's isn't too surprising considering he's a 2nd year guys that's lost PT more and more as time has past...he may need time to step back and decide.

EJ is interesting. He knows he's not a draft prospect right now...does he think that can change much in a year? PJ was at least a high 2nd rounder a year ago that did well at the combine...EJ may think it may be better to just go now and get paid rather than possibly waste another year playing for free.

I would be thrilled with only adding Jaden and Juzang if we return EJ and Nick also.That's a hell of a roster even without Blackshear.

Assuming we get McDaniels either way, would you prefer to get both EJ and Nick back, or just add Blackshear and be able to go small a little bit more with Allen and Whitney playing some more minutes at the 4?

Players hate being recruited over, even if they aren't NBA material. Not too many want to spend more than two years at a school getting minimum PT. That's what happens when all you recruit is 95% 5 stars.

Reactions: ManitouDan

They both jumped without any real look. Briscoe had to go do it overseas. Gabriel got a contract. Both of those guys were top10-15ish guys that came back. Both wanted to be pros the day they walked in...like most ranked that high.

Now I pray that EJ returns....but it's taking a while for a decision. Ashton knew he was coming back...and he could've gotten a combine invite. Nick's isn't too surprising considering he's a 2nd year guys that's lost PT more and more as time has past...he may need time to step back and decide.

EJ is interesting. He knows he's not a draft prospect right now...does he think that can change much in a year? PJ was at least a high 2nd rounder a year ago that did well at the combine...EJ may think it may be better to just go now and get paid rather than possibly waste another year playing for free.
True but they at least stayed 2 years. Ej has a higher ceiling than both. That ceiling is top 20 or better I’d say in next years draft.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

Honestly and genuinely curious. Can you provide any source/ comments etc by EJ, his family , coaches etc that indicate he was unhappy with how he was used” last season?

I’d be willing to bet EJ believes he (anyone really) can become a better basketball player over time, especially from Freshman year - sophomore year.

Players hate being recruited over, even if they aren't NBA material. Not too many want to spend more than two years at a school getting minimum PT. That's what happens when all you recruit is 95% 5 stars.

Well, EJ has only been here a year so far plus he’s not really being “recruited over?”

I haven’t read anywhere that says EJ was unhappy with how Cal used him.

Kyle Tucker has alluded to this during his Locked On Kentucky podcast. The comments were specific to how the season ended and how EJ was used against Auburn.

A transfer would seem strange considering the role he played as a freshman.

With the news of McDaniels potentially (likely?) committing, that does make for an interesting turn of events.

Wish we could get Blackshear as well but that wouldn't be likely if EJ returns AND we land McDaniels. But who knows.
Looks like things are going to be very interesting in the coming week.

Honestly and genuinely curious. Can you provide any source/ comments etc by EJ, his family , coaches etc that indicate he was unhappy with how he was used” last season?

Kyle Tucker has suggested this on his podcast. Tucker has a decent relationship with the family so I assume his comments have some merit. Even without that "evidence", one would have to be naive to think the family would be excited with how their son was used this season. My guess is they expected he would play and contribute a lot more than he did.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Kyle Tucker has alluded to this during his Locked On Kentucky podcast. The comments were specific to how the season ended and how EJ was used against Auburn.

I think that's a fair criticism in regard to Montgomery/his camp if they did. I was upset how he was used in the Elite 8 and I'm not his biggest supporter. Thought he played well early and thought he was better suited to play in that game then Travis. 65 minutes between the teams statistically support that as well. Especially on the defensive end.

Between McDaniels, EJ, Richards, and Blackshear, if i have a choice, give me Blackshear. Guy is a veteran and has proven himself against very quality opponents. Would love for all the kids to be at UK, but i understand these kids want playing time. Even if it means going somewhere else to get it. EJ in my opinion, should give it another year, get in the gym, bust your ass, and work on your weak spots of your game. Do all that, then if you do not feel you are getting a fair shake, maybe look at other options. But leaving after only 1 season, to me that is kind of wanting it give to you, not earning it. Not saying that will be the case for EJ, i would hope not, great kid.

Reactions: TFCats11
Blackshear had 18, 16, and 5 against the #1 Seed SuperGreatestMostAmaZIONg team ever in Duke.

3 years playing in the ACC...big game NCAA tournament experience. Sign me up.

With OAD ending, make us Grad Transfer U!

Reactions: Samurai Cat
FWIW:

Kyle Tucker just made ANOTHER mention of Kentucky possibly landing ALL of the big 3 main targets they're after.

How in the..

Cal has to be thinking Platoon for this year.

Also, It's worth pointing out that a roster of: Hagans, IQ, Richards, EJ, Brooks, Mcdaniels, Maxey, Allen, Whitney, Juzang, Sestina, and Blackshear..

.. could wind up being the most talent on a single college basketball team in history. No, not necessarily the best starting 5.. but Kentucky is basically running elite talent, from top to bottom, aside from two walk-on types.

How in the..

Cal has to be thinking Platoon for this year.

Also, It's worth pointing out that a roster of: Hagans, IQ, Richards, EJ, Brooks, Mcdaniels, Maxey, Allen, Whitney, Juzang, Sestina, and Blackshear..

.. could wind up being the most talent on a single college basketball team in history. No, not necessarily the best starting 5.. but Kentucky is basically running elite talent, from top to bottom, aside from two walk-on types.

That would be up there for sure. Crazy amount of size and talent. Hopefully enough 3 point shooting.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I detest the idea of "platooning" ever again at UK. That said, I'd be perfectly happy to see Cal have a legit 10 player rotation with more normal substitution patterns in which all the guys got significant minutes. Think more in terms of the 1996 UK team and less like the 2015 UK team.

If you are a 5 star soon-to-be Sophomore and you are scared off by incoming freshmen, then that should tell you the NBA might not be in your future. Not saying EJ is though. Have no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT