ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Baseball 2025

I have full faith In Mingione and Cousino putting another winner on the field in 25, but it seems like to really maintain where we are McCoy needs to take a huge step forward. He has all the tools to be a star in this league and be a big leaguer. He obviously hasn’t done that yet, but that talent is undeniably and the clock is ticking. People will probably laugh at that, and understandably so, but I’ve always been impressed with the LSU’s, Arkansas’s and even Oregon State’s of the world have players make jumps from one year to the next. We’ve seen it a bit this year with Waldy. Need McCoy to do something similar.

The portal has saved Mingione. This comment has been taken as a backhanded compliment in the past, but I don't mean it in that sense because coaches have to adjust to the game as it is presented to them and that is what Mingione did. Fact of the matter is that to this point UK has not shown a great ability to pinpoint and develop freshmen talent. There are a few along the way (Pitre as a great example), but for the most part our teams have been built in the portal. That is the life of college athletics now and it is a huge testament to the staff that they've not only leaned into this, but that they have gone out there and found the guys that fit their system, that have personalities that mesh, and that can compete at a high level. I think 2025 will be an extremely interesting year for UK baseball because the staff will have to decide a direction in a way. They have a lot of young talent and even had some freshmen that were seemingly pretty close to breaking through at the start of the season. Do they want to lean into the youth or do they want to go out and get old again? I think at least with the pitching staff, they will have to do a lot of supplementing and will look to find a lot of arms that can come onto the staff and compete not only out of the pen but for weekend starter roles. I could see them leaning into some of the youth on the offensive side a bit more as they seemed pretty well smitten with guys like Cameron and Kargett early on, and I think that is telling for those guys.

As far as McCoy... you are entirely correct that the talent is there. The body type is there. The arm is there. The just enough speed to be a real good corner outfielder is there. He just needs to put together a strong year at the plate and start seeing the ball better. It's not unfathomable that this can happen. We saw Waldy go from a .290 hitter with 5 home runs to a .359 hitter with 14 dingers. This was McCoy's first real test year in the SEC and first year seeing pitching game in and game out. So, I think this would be the year he could take that big jump forward. We used to see that a lot with JUCO guys. They'd be okay or kind of struggle year 1 as they regularly see better pitching, but then by year 2 they put it together and the game slows down for them. Would like to see McCoy get that .227 up to around .280 or .290 and up the 6 home runs to at least 12.

Reactions: backinky2018
Same boat as last year but definitely has to strike gold again in the Portal.

Possible returning starters
2B Pitre (could see him moving to short)
C Burkes
CF McCarthy
RF McCoy

Herrera started few for McCoy he goes to LF, 3B or 2B.

McCoy could go to 1B but hope we get a Nicholson type there.

Needs- 3 power bats and pitching, pitching, pitching

Same boat as last year but definitely has to strike gold again in the Portal.

Possible returning starters
2B Pitre (could see him moving to short)
C Burkes
CF McCarthy
RF McCoy

Herrera started few for McCoy he goes to LF, 3B or 2B.

McCoy could go to 1B but hope we get a Nicholson type there.

Needs- 3 power bats and pitching, pitching, pitching

Pitre is an interesting case. .303 with 9 home runs and a well above average 2B. Could return and move to short and possible incresae his stock a touch, but he may have done enough to be about as high as he might go. I'd put him on the fence for returning.

Burkes seems likely to return. You just can't hit .257 in college baseball with defense that isn't stellar and expect to be high on the draft board. Really needs to come back and get the bat turned on. Maybe that could change if he has an outstanding Super Regional and (if we make it) CWS and turns some heads with the athleticism. I'd still expect him back.

McCoy could move to first base, but he's got a cannon that is made for right field. I have to imagine the coaches do not want to take that weapon away. I think you are correct that they likely try to fill that hole with a portal guy.

Griffin Cameron was a Day 1 starter in the outfield. A part of that was Waldy being injured, but it tells you how close he was to really breaking through. UK has not had a tendency to play many true freshmen and the fact that they played one right out of the gate instead of any number of other options is telling. Cameron could move into center and move McCarthy to left, which is what they did on opening day. That bat is going to need to come along though.

Gargett and Hindle were also early contributors, so it will be interesting to see how UK uses them moving forward. Both infielders and could fill 2nd or 3rd if Pitre moves to short, or one could play short if Herrera moves to 2nd or 3rd. JUCO transfer Hairston could also be a guy that steps into third base and throws a wrinkle into the infield.

DH is interesting with Schramm and then Ben Higdon (and any number of others). I assume Higdon was injured this year, so he might be a redshirt junior (?). Schramm played early on but hasn't seen action in a long time. Huge guy that you'd love to get going. Both play OF, but I don't see room for either out there.

Pitre is an interesting case. .303 with 9 home runs and a well above average 2B. Could return and move to short and possible incresae his stock a touch, but he may have done enough to be about as high as he might go. I'd put him on the fence for returning.

Burkes seems likely to return. You just can't hit .257 in college baseball with defense that isn't stellar and expect to be high on the draft board. Really needs to come back and get the bat turned on. Maybe that could change if he has an outstanding Super Regional and (if we make it) CWS and turns some heads with the athleticism. I'd still expect him back.

McCoy could move to first base, but he's got a cannon that is made for right field. I have to imagine the coaches do not want to take that weapon away. I think you are correct that they likely try to fill that hole with a portal guy.

Griffin Cameron was a Day 1 starter in the outfield. A part of that was Waldy being injured, but it tells you how close he was to really breaking through. UK has not had a tendency to play many true freshmen and the fact that they played one right out of the gate instead of any number of other options is telling. Cameron could move into center and move McCarthy to left, which is what they did on opening day. That bat is going to need to come along though.

Gargett and Hindle were also early contributors, so it will be interesting to see how UK uses them moving forward. Both infielders and could fill 2nd or 3rd if Pitre moves to short, or one could play short if Herrera moves to 2nd or 3rd. JUCO transfer Hairston could also be a guy that steps into third base and throws a wrinkle into the infield.

DH is interesting with Schramm and then Ben Higdon (and any number of others). I assume Higdon was injured this year, so he might be a redshirt junior (?). Schramm played early on but hasn't seen action in a long time. Huge guy that you'd love to get going. Both play OF, but I don't see room for either out there.
Pitre has probably done enough but hope he comes back. Could see him make the Waldy jump. Good point on McCoy with the canon.

After watching UConn with all their D3 kids last night I’m pretty excited to see what Youngblood can do.

Maybe D3 has gotten a whole lot better over the years, but I haved watched a lot of D3 baseball because my brother played at that level. They were not good. The gap between there and the SEC is massive. Still, as we have discussed, baseball is a weird sport and there are just some of those guys that things seem to come together for much later on and while they were D3 in HS, by the time they are juniors or seniors they can be real good D1 level players. Hopefully Youngblood is one of those, will be a great story if so.

Reactions: Crazycat68
Maybe D3 has gotten a whole lot better over the years, but I haved watched a lot of D3 baseball because my brother played at that level. They were not good. The gap between there and the SEC is massive. Still, as we have discussed, baseball is a weird sport and there are just some of those guys that things seem to come together for much later on and while they were D3 in HS, by the time they are juniors or seniors they can be real good D1 level players. Hopefully Youngblood is one of those, will be a great story if so.
I’ve consumed a lot of D3 baseball and for a long time I completely agreed with you, but since the pandemic it seems like there are about 5 guys a year that make the leap from D3 to D1 and just seem to fit. Logan Martin is a good example. Injuries hampered him last year, but he was still a solid piece and really shined at times.

Youngblood might not be one of those success stories, but given the success some of those guys have had recently it makes a lot of sense to take one of the best at that level. At the very least, the adjustment will be easier than that of a true freshman.

I’ve consumed a lot of D3 baseball and for a long time I completely agreed with you, but since the pandemic it seems like there are about 5 guys a year that make the leap from D3 to D1 and just seem to fit. Logan Martin is a good example. Injuries hampered him last year, but he was still a solid piece and really shined at times.

Youngblood might not be one of those success stories, but given the success some of those guys have had recently it makes a lot of sense to take one of the best at that level. At the very least, the adjustment will be easier than that of a true freshman.

As I have mentioned, this staff seems to have a knack for looking at collegiate players and understanding which ones will work and be SEC competitive. So, I am pretty comfortable with the decision. Like I said, I think it is a great story and a great opportunity for that young man, so I hope he absolutely crushes it in UK blue.

I have updated the first post on the page to include pitchers and freshmen.
Great job on the pitching write up! I believe they also have commitments from JUCO P Nile Adcock and Radford transfer P Scott Rouse.

Not sure the validity but have also heard rumors about the possibility of transfer P from EKU Chase Alderman and South Dakota St P Nic Mccay.

Last edited:
Great job on the pitching write up! I believe they also have commitments from JUCO pitcher Nile Adcock and Radford transfer Scott Rousse

Great job on the pitching write up! I believe they also have commitments from JUCO P Nile Adcock and Radford transfer P Scott Rouse.

Not sure the validity but have also heard rumors about the possibility of transfer P from EKU Chase Elderman and South Dakota St P Nic Mccay.

You're the man! Like I said, I am always a bit slow at keeping up with the transfers, so thank you! I will add them in.

Not sure the validity but have also heard rumors about the possibility of transfer P from EKU Chase Elderman and South Dakota St P Nic Mccay.

We might add the bottom two, but in the interim here is a bit about them:

Nic McCay from South Dakota State was a freshman All American in 2019 before he basically sat out with injury for 2 years. He is a 6'0 200 pount righty that seems like he will be a grad student. He has a 3.64 ERA in 2024 and started 13 games, with 71.2 innings pitched and 96 strikeouts to 36 walks. Opponents hit .226 against him.

Chase Alderman will be a redshirt sophomore if he comes to UK. He redshirted in 2024 due to injury. In 2023 he was an ASUN All Freshman Team selection and had a 4.43 ERA. He was a bullpen guy and appeared in 20 games with 1 start. He threw 44.2 innings and struck out 43 while walking 26. Opponents hit .235 against him. He threw 0.2 innings against UK in 2023 and gave up 1 hit, 1 ER and had 1 strikeout.

Yep. This is an old team. So, will be interesting to see what Ming and the staff do. Do they roll with some young guys even though we might take some lumps or do they hit the portal hard and try to get older?
As expected, we sure do lose a lot of great, veteran players that leave us with some amazing memories. Would be a pleasant surprise if any of Pitre, Moore, Hogan or Burkes return. Hogan likely playing himself into the draft or contract with postseason play. Coach Mingione basically acknowledged during Sundays postgame that we’d be breaking in a new catcher next season, so that sounds pretty definitive. And Moore, just not sure he’s ready but if he gets an offer I understand the decision.

As for weekend starters, sounds like we in about the same shape as last season. Three new weekend starters, 2 of which were grad transfers and the 3rd being Moore who transitioned to starting. If we find the right 2 pitchers, we should be at least average next year. Excellent if we find a few diamonds.

What about Evan Byers making the leap to SP at least for midweek?

What was the name of that grad transfer 1B from like Delaware St that committed around same time as Nicholson and Daly? He ended up not having an extra year of eligibility and was denied by NCAA to play this year so he went to MLB. Think he got drafted, too? Just curious as I recall we were just as excited about him as Nicholson. That worked out okay 😀

What was the name of that grad transfer 1B from like Delaware St that committed around same time as Nicholson and Daly? He ended up not having an extra year of eligibility and was denied by NCAA to play this year so he went to MLB. Think he got drafted, too? Just curious as I recall we were just as excited about him as Nicholson. That worked out okay 😀
Pretty sure it was Klein from Samford. Won the Gold Glove last year. Ended up at UTampa as he still has D2 eligibility but couldn’t play D1. Hitting .360, batting in the 3 hole and they will be playing for a national title later this week! To get him and Nicholson on board last summer was a big haul.

Pretty sure it was Klein from Samford. Won the Gold Glove last year. Ended up at UTampa as he still has D2 eligibility but couldn’t play D1. Hitting .360, batting in the 3 hole and they will be playing for a national title later this week! To get him and Nicholson on board last summer was a big haul.
You read my mind. That was exactly why I asked. Klein is right. For some reason, I had Delaware in my head though…. Weird

He was a gold glove first bagger IIRC?

You read my mind. That was exactly why I asked. Klein is right. For some reason, I had Delaware in my head though…. Weird

He was a gold glove first bagger IIRC?
Funny how the cookie crumbles. If he gets the extra year, Lopez would have probably been the odd man out. I imagine Nicholson would have got first run at DH and we all saw Lopez’s attempt at being a fielder at Upstate to open the year. I don’t want to say it was addition by subtraction because I have no doubt Klein would have succeeded, but it’s also hard to imagine this team without Lopez and Nicholson in their current form.

Without any real evidence pointing to this, I could see Bryce Blevins from Marshall being a big addition to the weekend rotation. Hes from Lawrence Co and has been great at Marshall this season. Being tested in the SEC could really move him up as a prospect.

As I have mentioned, this staff seems to have a knack for looking at collegiate players and understanding which ones will work and be SEC competitive. So, I am pretty comfortable with the decision. Like I said, I think it is a great story and a great opportunity for that young man, so I hope he absolutely crushes it in UK blue.
CB dead on. Staff has killed the portal last 3 years. In 2022 we were 1 win away from regional but got left out because RPI lil high they say lol but we were hot.

Reactions: Lucas-Schank
Without any real evidence pointing to this, I could see Bryce Blevins from Marshall being a big addition to the weekend rotation. Hes from Lawrence Co and has been great at Marshall this season. Being tested in the SEC could really move him up as a prospect.
Is he in the portal?

Trey Paige. He was drafted by St. Louis and signed with them.

This is a big one. Youngstown kid. Need to get him in the ballpark Saturday to see what it’s like in Lexington. Got to think Cousino’s Ohio connections at least get in the conversation.

Or shit have one of the FB guys reach out on our behalf. Seems like by now, everyone in Youngstown knows about/cheer for UK. Even if they have a main team. I would bet my life that someone on a staff at UK knows the school/coach. Would be a huge addition.

McCoy seems like a player that is right on the verge of busting out. He has had his moments and flashes...so it's there...he just needs to get more consistent with it. If he puts the work in this off-season I see no reason why he can't make a Waldy-esque jump this season.

Reactions: The-Hack
No eligibility: Nicholson, Smith, Daly, Pooser, Niman, Hagenow, Hummel, Critt, Church, Lopez, O'Brien
Good as gone: Burkes, Pitre, Waldy, Moore, T. Smith
Could see going either way: McCoy, McCarthy, Nove, Hogan
Would be big for the pen to get Hogan and Nove back. McCoy and McCarthy returning would really help stabilize the lineup.

Just saw a thread listing portal visitors Tennessee is bringing in for visits during the Super Regionals. Would think Kentucky is doing the same but haven’t heard any names.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT