ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Richards earning high praise

jrpross

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
I love the makeup of next year's team in that frontline. If Gabriel returns, UK matches up against anyone and does so with immense levels of elite depth. Add Bamba, and it becomes instantly unfair for the rest of the nation.

Cal is hitting this class with a new fervor. It seems like Duke's recent challenged provoked Cal to a higher level.

It's definately looking like a huge front line... Seems like its going to be a very different style of play than this year... Probably slower and more deliberate, but thats what this class has to offer... Love the versatility Cal has shown throughout the years... Bamba puts it over the top...

More deliberate, come on you have seen film onf Diallo, right? I think our team next year will be even better than this year's team will be when all is said and done. Diallo coming on Saturday and Bamba this spring, maybe even Knox. Wow that would be an awesome team. Green running the show, Diallo driving and dishing off or slamming it through the net, and the big guys down low dunking and rebounding. Washington or maybe Knox hitting 15 footers. Look out Puke, KU and Loserville.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
I've been saying since I've watched him play that the kid is top ten. Would be awesome to see him get bumped as high as top five but I wouldn't count on it.

So why would this kid not scare Bamba off? They're both centers, correct? They both can't play at the same time.

No matter how many times people say it, it always makes me chuckle a little when I'm not expecting it.

Yea. That was one of the classic lines I believe I ever saw around here that was actually said intentionally. He was concerned about KAT wasn't he? I think we all scoured the net for video of KAT's skill tape of walking mechanics.

Reactions: jrpross
With Richards, Washington, Vanderbilt, SKJ, Humphries, Wynyard, and possibly one or more of Gabriel, Bamba, and Knox, I don't see us having any problems in the frontcourt next year!!!
While there might not be a dominant (Cousins/Davis/Towns) in the group, there will be enough quality depth that if someone isn't cutting it to slide someone else ahead of him.

My concern for a few months now is with the backcourt, which looks to be limited to Green and SGA currently. Even adding Diallo won't be enough. Definitely need one more, probably 2 as I don't expect SGA to contribute much next year unless he has to. I think Young is pretty much off the table for us now. So a grad-transfer would be ideal. Or if we added Knox, maybe he could play some in the backcourt.

But back to Richards. I am excited about him. I think he could have a Noel type of impact.

I think there is still a chance Briscoe comes back for a third year, and if he does, we'll be unreal.
There isn't a chance briscoe comes back. He was almost willing to go last year being undrafted. This year he is almost certainly going to be drafted at least in the 2nd and if he continues to prove the doubters wrong by hitting a decent percentage from 3 and the FT line he can be a late first type player.

Reactions: ganner918
Knox may be key to not needing additional guards. The 2012 title team had Teague and Lamb and that was it in the backcourt. Miller moved to 2g at times when Lamb played point. But like Fox he was really a small forward. Green, Alexander, Diallo, and Knox would be more than enough perimeter firepower.

So why would this kid not scare Bamba off? They're both centers, correct? They both can't play at the same time.
The same could have been said about Cauley-Stein and Towns. If we ain't gonna have anybody that can shoot, we might as well smother the bejeezus out of teams with our oversized defense.

Last edited:
The same could have been said about Cauly-Stein and Towns. If we ain't gonna have anybody that can shoot, we might as well smother the bejeezus out of teams with our oversized defense.
True, but I consider Bamba and Richards almost the same player. I know Bamba is a defensive stud and Richards is probably better offensively but they seem a lot closer in talent than Stein and Towns. Towns was head and shoulders above poor ole Willie.

There isn't a chance briscoe comes back. He was almost willing to go last year being undrafted. This year he is almost certainly going to be drafted at least in the 2nd and if he continues to prove the doubters wrong by hitting a decent percentage from 3 and the FT line he can be a late first type player.

I'm Briscoe's biggest fan, but he isn't even projected to go in the second round right now, although I agree that if he keeps shooting 75% on FTs and 40% from 3, he will be. But "there isn't a chance" is something you say about top-15 guys like Malik and Bam, not sub-60 guys like Briscoe. There is still a chance, and if Briscoe plays well enough to kill that chance, he'll lead us to a national title.

Reactions: catben
With Richards, Washington, Vanderbilt, SKJ, Humphries, Wynyard, and possibly one or more of Gabriel, Bamba, and Knox, I don't see us having any problems in the frontcourt next year!!!
While there might not be a dominant (Cousins/Davis/Towns) in the group, there will be enough quality depth that if someone isn't cutting it to slide someone else ahead of him.

My concern for a few months now is with the backcourt, which looks to be limited to Green and SGA currently. Even adding Diallo won't be enough. Definitely need one more, probably 2 as I don't expect SGA to contribute much next year unless he has to. I think Young is pretty much off the table for us now. So a grad-transfer would be ideal. Or if we added Knox, maybe he could play some in the backcourt.

But back to Richards. I am excited about him. I think he could have a Noel type of impact.
I'm not 100% sure but the rumors are UK is pitching Knox at playing some at SG and he is receptive. It appears he would likely start at SF and could be the back up SG. He likely can't guard college SG's but Vanderbilt can so if Vanderbilt backs him up at SF they can switch on defense when played together.

Reactions: Galbpt02
I'm Briscoe's biggest fan, but he isn't even projected to go in the second round right now, although I agree that if he keeps shooting 75% on FTs and 40% from 3, he will be. But "there isn't a chance" is something you say about top-15 guys like Malik and Bam, not sub-60 guys like Briscoe. There is still a chance, and if Briscoe plays well enough to kill that chance, he'll lead us to a national title.
He was 55 on some mock the other day I saw.

My point is the kid didn't want to come back to school last year when he literally had zero chance to be drafted. Now he has that chance To be drafted and I just don't see even the slightest chance he comes back

It's definately looking like a huge front line... Seems like its going to be a very different style of play than this year... Probably slower and more deliberate, but thats what this class has to offer... Love the versatility Cal has shown throughout the years... Bamba puts it over the top...
Vanderbilt and PJ ( and Bamba) aren't slow at all. The centers will be more deliberate but our front court with those 3 and SKJ still have plenty of speed.

My point is the kid didn't want to come back to school last year when he literally had zero chance to be drafted. Now he has that chance To be drafted and I just don't see even the slightest chance he comes back
He will be a top 30ish pick and he is gone. Looking at a mock at this point is always silly. They still have overrated Fultz usually as the #1 pick . Dude is not being drafted over Monk, Jackson , Ball IMO.

Last year, he was projected as a high second-rounder, some had him as high as 30. He wanted first round. And regardless, while I hear what you're saying and agree that Briscoe is a guy who made it clear he wanted to go pro as quickly as possible, its still soft evidence. We're not talking about hard quotes or draft predictions. So I'd say we're still in the realm of "slightest chance."

He will be a top 30ish pick and he is gone. Looking at a mock at this point is always silly. They still have overrated Fultz usually as the #1 pick . Dude is not being drafted over Monk, Jackson , Ball IMO.
I may be biased but I'm not taking anyone over Monk. If I have guards already I am getting rid of them. Monk is that dude

I really like the way Richards is playing. He is going to be a force. Go Cats!!

Cal will add more guards besides Diallo. I think he was evaluating Alexander a few days ago with the purpose being to see how good he is and what other types of guards UK will need.

I'm sensing something like a grad transfer. That's unless of course UK adds Knox, because I think UK is selling him on playing the perimeter fulltime. If that's the case, Cal lives with the "problem" of having Diallo/Knox/Alexander rotate the shooting guard position, with Knox also playing the three.

An early January mock-draft isn't worth crap. I don't think he needs to hit 40%. Although if he does, he could be a late 1st round pick. But if he can knock down 30%, then he is certainly a 2nd round pick. He has NBA size, and strength, is really good at driving to the basket and finishing through contact or getting to the line, and is a good (not great) passer/distributor. And he is a good defender, with excellent lateral quickness. Shooting and jumping ability are the only holes. He projects as a solid 10 year backup PG.
But he was close to leaving last year, and he has improved what the scouts wanted him to improve. Is that where it needs to be, probably not. But that he was able to significantly improve it is a sign to NBA Execs that he will work at it and can improve. Same as Andrew 2 years ago, except Andrew's big weakness was his quickness.

Pg- Green ________Backup- Alexander / Diallo
Sg- Diallo _________Backup- Knox / Alexander
Sf- Knox __________Backup- Vanderbilt / Gabriel
Pf- Washington_____Backup- Gabriel / Richards
C - Bamba ________Backup- Richards / SKJ

They'd drive you insane if they shoot from deep too much but I'll sign up for this roster ...yep sure would (I think Hump transfers if we get all those bigs... or redshirts)

Reactions: Galbpt02
Did anyone watch the video in that article? 17 seconds in he hits a beautiful jumper. If that is any indication of his skill set and he can actually do that in a real competitive game being left wide open at the free throw lane, that would be huge on top of him already being known as a good rebounder and defender. A big man with those skills adding outside touch to his game is definitely a big step for him as a young talent. He may very well be better than previously expected.

Reactions: Cawood86
Did anyone watch the video in that article? 17 seconds in he hits a beautiful jumper. If that is any indication of his skill set and he can actually do that in a real competitive game being left wide open at the free throw lane, that would be huge on top of him already being known as a good rebounder and defender. A big man with those skills adding outside touch to his game is definitely a big step for him as a young talent. He may very well be better than previously expected.

He'll be better than anyone has a clue about after our coaching staff gets a hold of him. THAT is what is exciting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT