ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Richards earning high praise

He'll be better than anyone has a clue about after our coaching staff gets a hold of him. THAT is what is exciting.

Well said. His body also. He's not what I would consider thin like WCS, Gabriel, AD coming into college. He's definitely no bull, but his body reminds of KAT. He can probably get to a very powerful yet lean build and be a mobile athletic big man who also won't get pushed around for boards.

Reactions: Icecoldbrewdoggy
True, but I consider Bamba and Richards almost the same player. I know Bamba is a defensive stud and Richards is probably better offensively but they seem a lot closer in talent than Stein and Towns. Towns was head and shoulders above poor ole Willie.
Actually Richardson is considered the better shot blocker. With Bamba being considered to have the potential to be better defensively Bamba will play 4 n 5 he has better ball handling than Richardson who will be a strict 5. Many forget that Cal's original formula for the dribble drive is 2 mobile athletic bigs. I see Bamba in the Anthony Davis roll and Richardson as more Noel

Richards from reports too, suggest he plays with a 'tude on the court. Someone who is as atheltic as he is, with a burgeoning skill set plus tude equals stud.

So why would this kid not scare Bamba off? They're both centers, correct? They both can't play at the same time.
I think Bamba would play the 4, which I think is the position he kind of prefers. He pretty much has to play the 5 in high school naturally.

Did anyone watch the video in that article? 17 seconds in he hits a beautiful jumper. If that is any indication of his skill set and he can actually do that in a real competitive game being left wide open at the free throw lane, that would be huge on top of him already being known as a good rebounder and defender. A big man with those skills adding outside touch to his game is definitely a big step for him as a young talent. He may very well be better than previously expected.
The thing I was impressed with was his hands. Soft hands and catches the ball well on the break. Huge plus for big men IMO. Nice little hook shot as well.

If we add 1 of Knox or Bamba this team is going to be beastly. If we add both which I don't think we will, it will be unbelievable.

If we get Bamba we will have possibly the deepest frontcourt in history next year.
The 2015 team had a lot of depth in the frontcourt. So much so actually that we had to play Lyles and Poythress at the 3 just to get them on the court. We had 4 centers in Towns, WCS, Dakari, and Lee, so WCS and Lee had to be moved to PF.

But I love the versatility of the 2018 frontcourt more than 2015....... especially if we get Mo Bamba.

Reactions: JustinSphere
Hadn't seen this article before. It's from a couple weeks ago but apparently, Richards has really turned it up. Jerry Meyer says he may merit top 5 consideration. :flushed: Another scout said he's more impressed with him than Carter or Ayton. Cal knows how to pick em, man.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2016/12/23/14036390/nick-richards-earning-high-praise-big-ranking-boost
But everyone was calling me an idiot since I said he is a better player then SKJ and is very similar to Bamba .... LMAO .

I remember being very excited by that December article. Then we got to see him in 2-3 all star games. His foot work and reaction time on defense wasn't where I'd hoped it would be. I think he can be a terrific talent eventually, but honestly see him taking most of his freshman year to get comfortable with the speed of college basketball.
He looked really good for stretches in those all star games and then really lost for stretches . But so did Bamba not that that matters at this point . I have seen Richards play 6 full non all star games and he really impressed me in 4 of those 6 . The other 2 he was great when he was in but he was in foul trouble. He has more potential then guys like Noel and WCS but not as much as Cousins , AD and Towns . He will be a top 10-15 nationally IMO in both blocks and rebounds but he will have games where he plays 18 minutes and gets 4/7/2 and then he will have games where he plays 32 minutes and goes for 20/14/6 and then alot in between. My point being is he will have nights where you pull out your hair and then nights when you think he is the best center in college. He is a work in progress but a fun one to watch.

RIchards plays with a chip on his shoulder.. very versatile. I think he will be a damn good player for us.

ADVERTISEMENT