ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Mingione press conference.....

Apr 9, 2016
today at 6:00 pm. Will be streamed live on ukathletics.com. Possibly shown on the local TV station in Lexington. Will be interesting to see his statements and answers to questions from the media.

Reactions: GoCatsForever2k15
Thanks for the info, will be anxious to hear his comments about his plan for UK baseball. Hopefully he will assemble a staff pretty quickly as our players will be in summer ball soon.

today at 6:00 pm. Will be streamed live on ukathletics.com. Possibly shown on the local TV station in Lexington. Will be interesting to see his statements and answers to questions from the media.
The only question I want asked...when are you being told the new stadium will be started and finished?

While I think the stadium question is important, it is an inevitability. What we have to question is what direction does he see this program going in? What is his philosophy as a coach? Does he prefer to play like LSU, meaning that he likes to play for the big inning by getting two on and then hitting a three run homer? Does he prefer more of a small ball style? What kind of pitching coach is he looking for and what kind of strategy does he have with pitching? I want to hear him emphasize the importance of pitching in this league and make that a priority.

One interesting thing is that Mingione has been with Cohen for a long time, and that would make me think that he would have a similar philosophy. Along those lines, it is curious to see what kind of connections he has to possible assistants. He hasn't been a whole lot of places, so what kind of connections does he have that he can use to hire assistants? Lots and lots of questions... not sure any of them will be answered, but we can hope.

The only question I want asked...when are you being told the new stadium will be started and finished?
I think that is a question for Barnhart, not Mingione. Several people have posted that construction will start later this summer, and the new park will be ready for 2018.

45 million dollar baseball stadium on the way. Construction probably starting in November per Mitch today. Waiting on approval from BOT in the fall. Its coming. No more BS or complaining

Reactions: BleedBlueCats21
Wow. Energy plus and has a overall game plan. Reminded me of Cal with his emphasis on relationships and recruiting. 10 years in the SEC and he said he knows how to put a championship team together. Very confident. Answered all the questions you had Comeback and Mitch committed to the stadium. Money is there and just needs to be approved by the BOD in the fall. 16 months to build. Very very impressed. I think his staff will be recruit minded and filled with energy. Wonder if he will get input into the stadium design to make an entertainment center as well like MSU's appears to be on tv. Never been there but seems fun.

His personality reminds me so much of John Cohen, outgoing and enthusiastic. He definitely has a plan going forward, and I really think his being here for a couple of years before is very helpful.
He seems to be a guy who puts high expectations on himself, and also on his staff and players. The more I see and hear from him the more I think he could really be good at UK !

45 million dollar baseball stadium on the way. Construction probably starting in November per Mitch today. Waiting on approval from BOT in the fall. Its coming. No more BS or complaining
Talk to me when the dirt is moving and not trying to be a smart ass to you, just will believe it when I see it..quote from MB today..."the project goes before the bot this fall. AND IF IT IS APPROVED, construction will begin after the football season...doesn't sound like a done deal to me, just the same run around BS we've been given the last ten years

Last edited:
Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
I am familiar with the term ' Winning the press conference' if that can be done, then it was done this evening by Coach Nick. He was dynamic, enthusiastic, and showed such personality.
We got more details about the new stadium, but Mangione said not to worry about what you don't have yet. He referred to the years when he was here before, the dog pile when they won the SEC down in Athens in 2006.
He talked about John Cohens' love still for UK, and how when Hendo resigned, he called him in and more or less, told him to go for it.
I have no idea whether or not he will be super successful, but I am going to think positive. While we do play in the toughest league in the country, these upsets in regional and Super Regionals show that Golith can still be taken down. Good luck Coach Nick Mangione, we will be watching and rooting for our Cats !

Now, Coach Nick needs to go get some experienced asst coaches and re-recruit these high school kids that have big decision's to make.
That will happen, he will assemble a solid staff IMO. As far as the incoming recruits, those who don't sign pro contracts, will need to be reassured they are still wanted at UK.

Talk to me when the dirt is moving and not trying to be a smart ass to you, just will believe it when I see it..quote from MB today..."the project goes before the bot this fall. AND IF IT IS APPROVED, construction will begin after the football season...doesn't sound like a done deal to me, just the same run around BS we've been given the last ten years

If you think that sounds like the same run around BS then I don't know what to say.

UK and Barnhart have been talking about renovations, then a new stadium for awhile now. But this is by far and way the furthest they have been. $4 million invested in design and naming a start date doesn't sound like BS. He also provided the same details for those that went on the CWS Tour last month. The stadium is coming, mark it.

If you think that sounds like the same run around BS then I don't know what to say.

UK and Barnhart have been talking about renovations, then a new stadium for awhile now. But this is by far and way the furthest they have been. $4 million invested in design and naming a start date doesn't sound like BS. He also provided the same details for those that went on the CWS Tour last month. The stadium is coming, mark it.
The proof is always in the pudding they say...time will tell. Fingers crossed

Mitch plays it close to the vest in interviews and doesn't ever reveal anything he doesn't specifically intend to. We didn't spend $4 million on planning and designing a new stadium without the intent of actually building it. Saying the BOT has to approve it is a statement if fact, and making all of this public at the presser puts added pressure on them to approve it. As long as the money is there, which it is, they'll green light it.

Since Athletics is paying for it, BOT approval is likely just a formality. There is not a whole lot they can do until football is over due to parking passes being allocated. But as long as everything else is in place by then, they should be ready to go. Wonder what they plan to do about a soccer practice field unless they plan on putting sports turf on the current field so that it can be used for practice also. Forty-five Mil should be enough to give them a very nice facility.

John Clay wrote in today's LHL article, that the athletics board meets in August. Mitch stated yesterday that the sight would be used for parking lots for Football season, and then they would start construction. That would be late November or early December at the earliest.
The project will take 16 months, that would make it ready in March or April 2018, would UK move into the new place in the middle of the season, or wait till the following year ? My guess is they would move in when it it's ready. There have been instances when teams move into new venues during the current season.

No, he said the stadium will take 16 months to complete after the first shovel is in the ground.
Funny I went back and checked both the written version and the video version of the comments on the stadium...the written version by Drew Franklin used the words if and assuming , but MB didn't use either one of those terms instead saying "it would go to the bot in the fall and then the contracts would be signed and the work would begin after fb season"...so it sounds good since I'm guessing I should believe MB over DF!!!

He also said that the baseball stadium was part of the university plan. He specifically laid out how the dominoes would fall once the stadium was built.

Also doing some research for comparisons sake, Jim Patterson Stadium was built in 2005 for a price tag of $10 million. This stadium will be 45 million, that is pretty significant jump in price. Leads me to believe this stadium will be state of the art.

Getting away from this stadium talk, I did a little research on the summer league now going on. UK has 4 players in the Cape Cod league, although Evan White is moving on to a bigger stage with the USA national team.
We have Zach Logue, Riley Mahan and Zach Pop playing in the cape, Justin Lewis, Zeke Lewis and Sean Hjelle in the Perfect game league. Haven't found Reks, Popmey, Becker, Salow etc yet, but there are several summer leagues throughout the country.

I guess I'm getting old. 4 million to design a what 10,000 seat stadium? Seems like the Engineering and Architecture schools could work one up.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Funny I went back and checked both the written version and the video version of the comments on the stadium...the written version by Drew Franklin used the words if and assuming , but MB didn't use either one of those terms instead saying "it would go to the bot in the fall and then the contracts would be signed and the work would begin after fb season"...so it sounds good since I'm guessing I should believe MB over DF!!!
I'm assuming the one Drew used is from UK because he wasn't there. That's also the one I went back and looked at.

I'm assuming the one Drew used is from UK because he wasn't there. That's also the one I went back and looked at.
So I'm back to square one:scream::smiley::baseball::sunglasses:I even saw a video of MB talking about people being skeptical about this stuff until shovel are in the ground. Said he understood...IT'S TIME! !!

Last edited:
I guess I'm getting old. 4 million to design a what 10,000 seat stadium? Seems like the Engineering and Architecture schools could work one up.

Wasn't the plan submitted for a 2800 seat stadium? That baffled me. Why spend money and only put in a small number of seats? I think 5 - 6 k should be the number they shoot for.

That seems like a lot for a stadium to replace Cliff Hagan.

Mighty Alabama spent 35mm on a total re-do. Didn't help them hire a coach. Reportedly got choice number 5 on the realistic list. Lord knows who was on the unrealistic list.

Miss state is spending 40-45 million on a tear down and complete rebuild:

http://www.msubulldogclub.com/projects/dudy-noble-field/

Really don't see us needing to build the same thing they have right off the bat. Hopefully we'll need it at some point. In baseball not sure trying to keep all the way up with the Jonses is necessary. Just keep them in sight.

I'd be more optimistic of dirt turning if we were spending less or treating it as a two phase project with phase 2 based on phase 1's success and additional need.

That seems like a lot for a stadium to replace Cliff Hagan.

Mighty Alabama spent 35mm on a total re-do. Didn't help them hire a coach. Reportedly got choice number 5 on the realistic list. Lord knows who was on the unrealistic list.

Miss state is spending 40-45 million on a tear down and complete rebuild:

http://www.msubulldogclub.com/projects/dudy-noble-field/

Really don't see us needing to build the same thing they have right off the bat. Hopefully we'll need it at some point. In baseball not sure trying to keep all the way up with the Jonses is necessary. Just keep them in sight.

I'd be more optimistic of dirt turning if we were spending less or treating it as a two phase project with phase 2 based on phase 1's success and additional need.
This line of thinking is why Kentucky is the only school in the SEC that's never been to Omaha.

Wasn't the plan submitted for a 2800 seat stadium? That baffled me. Why spend money and only put in a small number of seats? I think 5 - 6 k should be the number they shoot for.
No, the new stadium will seat 4500 plus. There will be 2400 chair back seats in addition to the berm seating and suit and club seats !
Wasn't the plan submitted for a 2800 seat stadium? That baffled me. Why spend money and only put in a small number of seats? I think 5 - 6 k should be the number they shoot for.[/
Wasn't the plan submitted for a 2800 seat stadium? That baffled me. Why spend money and only put in a small number of seats? I think 5 - 6 k should be the number they shoot for.[/QUOTE

This line of thinking is why Kentucky is the only school in the SEC that's never been to Omaha.

I must be unclear. I don't want to hold back just phase it in.

Have you seen Vandy's or Florida's? They both rank in the bottom half of the SEC. Yet both are top 10 schools. Stadium isn't going to make us a top 10 team.

Spend half and do it well. But very very well. Have a phase two that the program grows into to make it even better.

A nice stadium with empty seats doesn't send the right message.

Have a phase two that the program grows in to.

We rank 12th/13th in attendance in the conference but are spending the same dollars out of the gate as the top 2 or 3 attended schools.

Sort of like Mizzou, Vandy or one of the Mississippi schools building a football stadium like Bama. They should make it as nice but not as big. No need.

No, the new stadium will seat 4500 plus. There will be 2400 chair back seats in addition to the berm seating and suit and club seats !
Isn't "berm seating" meaning a blanket on the hill side? I'm talking actual seat backs. Why put in only 2400?

Isn't "berm seating" meaning a blanket on the hill side? I'm talking actual seat backs. Why put in only 2400?
It could be that, or it could be bench type bleachers with a back. The 2,400 theatre type seats would be behind home plate and up the 1st and 3rd base direction.

Berm implies a hill to sit on. General admission would be the bench with a back. Just my thoughts anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT