ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Kickoffs Change

Yeah, was field tested in the XFL. Goal to increase kickoff returns, reduce injuries.

Kickoffs now are basically 11 guys get a 60 yard start to get to top speed, then slam into 10 other guys. Nonsensical hits and concussions and injuries,for very little field position. This makes it more of an actual football play, 10 guys scheme run blocking for 1 returner against 11 defenders who are only 5 yds away. Like lining up a regular snap, O vs D.

Get used too it, this will be in CFB in 2026. Maybe 2025.

Yeah, was field tested in the XFL. Goal to increase kickoff returns, reduce injuries.

Kickoffs now are basically 11 guys get a 60 yard start to get to top speed, then slam into 10 other guys. Nonsensical hits and concussions and injuries,for very little field position. This makes it more of an actual football play, 10 guys scheme run blocking for 1 returner against 11 defenders who are only 5 yds away. Like lining up a regular snap, O vs D.

Get used too it, this will be in CFB in 2026. Maybe 2025.
I like the thought that there will be more returns. Two questions:

1. Is the kickoff taking place from the same spot? If so, won't that mean a ton of balls still kicked deep into the endzone and touchbacks.

2. How would you do an onside kick?

I actually like this rule change. It'll make for exciting returns and reduced injuries. I don't like the ban on hip drop tackling. Slippery slope that will end up ruining games and I hope it gets reversed.

My understanding is that it's a proposed rule change, not yet adopted. I agree with others that it looks odd but will reduce injuries while still maintaining the excitement of a kickoff return.

That's bizarre. I like that it's a bigger penalty for the ball to be kicked out of the end zone. Not sure how onside kicks will be handled. The kicking team members are already > 10 yards down the field, so now the kicker has to kick it 10 yards beyond THAT line? Also, it looked like defenders can't go forward until the ball is touched by the receiving team - is that right? No fair catches, which I like. It will take some time for players, coaches, officials and fans to get used to, though. Pretty major change.

1)in the XFL you tell the refs you want to do an onside kick, then you line up in traditional spot. And try it as done now, rules unchanged.
2)yes, coverage & blocking teams can't move beyond scrimmage until ball is caught. Trying to be like a traditional play where nobody can advance until ball is snapped.

Reactions: gamecockcat
The ball will only come out to the 35 if the ball is kicked into the end zone. If the ball hits the ground before the goal line and bounces into the end zone, it only comes out to the 20, making it better for the kicking team to not kick it into the end zone, and for the return team to return it.

They did severely reduce the impact of special teams and this is their attempt to bring it back a little. I like that special teams will be more impactful like they used to be......and I think I may grow to like this rule change with time.

My worry is that they continue to change too much. The sport that I love most has already become such a departure to where it was when I first fell in love with it. I fear that it will continue to change and subject itself to collapse.

So surspise onside kicks are out of the game? I know that’s done more in college anyway but still.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT