ADVERTISEMENT

NFC Championship Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49er’s

Those 4th down conversion attempts that failed reminded me of the Hal Mumme philosophy when he was here. Campbell knew they were the dog and 49ers were going to make a run at them so try to go for the juggler when you can.

Was thinking the same, exact thing. Mumme came to mind immediately

Going for the jugular would have been taking the points every time they're available. FG or TD. If you are going to play a 4 down offensive series with no consideration for FGs, you better be getting or going for chunk yardage plays, taking 4 and 5 yards every down, and only very occasionally taking the deep shots, rather than trying a deep completion in each set of downs.

Those 4th down conversion attempts that failed reminded me of the Hal Mumme philosophy when he was here. Campbell knew they were the dog and 49ers were going to make a run at them so try to go for the juggler when you can. Roll the dice if your the 7.5 point road dog, that's how you pull off the upset.

Second guessers will call them bad decisions, and using 2020 hind sight they are, but in real time I think he took strategic risks to win that didn't work out, but if they had people would be talking about what a genius he was.
Well I guess he can mull that over while he's watching the Super Bowl in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: BigTyrone
Those 4th down conversion attempts that failed reminded me of the Hal Mumme philosophy when he was here. Campbell knew they were the dog and 49ers were going to make a run at them so try to go for the juggler when you can. Roll the dice if your the 7.5 point road dog, that's how you pull off the upset.

Second guessers will call them bad decisions, and using 2020 hind sight they are, but in real time I think he took strategic risks to win that didn't work out, but if they had people would be talking about what a genius he was.

At kickoff, I agree. However that changed when you got a multi score lead. You had to protect that by taking the points. It was reckless to not.

All that said, it was execution that cost the lions the game. Dropped INT that turned into a giant completion (biggest play of the game imo) and several wr drops thereafter. If they make those plays, they win anyway.

Reactions: dvillecatfan
Said the same. Will never forgive his calf and wrist. Bengals should have rolled through the AFC at the very least.
Very true. But was it not a bit of indictment on Burrow to see Jake browning of all people win like he did and nearly get bengals into playoff despite all the burrow losses?

To me the recipe in nfl is to get a good Qb, hope to not pay him 50M a year snd eat up the cap space…give him good Oline and spend as much on defense as you can

Mahomes with Andy Reid is the best by a lot…but guys like Allen Burrow Lamar …Lawrence is about to get paid etc. these guys are a step down but want the same money…and thusly they’re coming up short as their contracts kick in

Just make the simple catches and Lions win -hell even there defense misplayed a couple of potential interceptions
No guarantee kicker makes either field goal both were over 45 yards - you say well NFL kickers usually make those - they also catch 3 or 4 balls right between there numbers

Reactions: Ky grandpa
At kickoff, I agree. However that changed when you got a multi score lead. You had to protect that by taking the points. It was reckless to not.

All that said, it was execution that cost the lions the game. Dropped INT that turned into a giant completion (biggest play of the game imo) and several wr drops thereafter. If they make those plays, they win anyway.
People will argue this back and forth for a long time, but IMO the Lions lost because they gave up 27 unanswered points in the second half.

Taylor Swift Travis Kelce GIF - Taylor Swift Taylor Swift GIFs

• Haha
Reactions: Ky grandpa
People will argue this back and forth for a long time, but IMO the Lions lost because they gave up 27 unanswered points in the second half.

They did. They gave up 27 unanswered because they missed their chances to take 3 two different times. Sf likely runs out of time if they just take the points. At the very least, it presses them into desperation mode and takes away the run game that's so potent.

I do mostly agree the reckless decisions didn't really cost the game. That dropped int into a de facto TD gave SF the hope it needed. Then their wrs inexplicably couldn't catch. Granted they probably should've run the ball more which was probably a bigger coaching mistake than anything. But if their players even reasonably execute, they win that game fairly comfortably

Reactions: Deeeefense
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT