ADVERTISEMENT

New Zealand’s Tai Wynyard eager to join UK Wildcats

Sounds like another great kid to go with great group we already have on-hand. You have to love the quality of young men that Cal is bringing into the program. Proud to see them in a Kentucky uniform.

I wonder if he is in shape. Cal said if he was out of shape he would redshirt him.

Cal said he had heard Wynyard was in the best shape of his life. Don't think he'll red-shirt. Unless Skal puts on about 25 lbs in the next couple of months, we're going to need Wynyard's physicality.

If Wynard doesnt play this year, I dont think that's a redshirt. It's just remaining in the athlectic class of 2016.

If he plays starting January 2016, will he be allowed to play half his senior year AFTER the semester break?

If he plays starting January 2016, will he be allowed to play half his senior year AFTER the semester break?

No. College basketball doesn't work that way. You have five years to play four seasons of ball. If he play second semester of 2015-16 that will count as a full season. Then he has three more seasons to play. That being said, there is no reason to red-shirt this season. Let him play. It always nice to look down the bench and see a 'footer available to check in and play.

He has been playing with pros,granted nz pros but he should be in fiine shape amd maybe further along than we think

When he enrolls, the 5 yrs to play 4 clock starts ticking.
It doesnt work that way in football, many enroll a semester early , participate in spring practice and redshirt the folllowing season and still have four years of eligibility after being enrolled for a year and a half. That happens all the time. Drew Barker is one that sticks out to me, iirc.

Last edited:
It doesnt work that way in football, many enroll a semester early , participate in spring practice and redshirt the folllowing season and still have four years of eligibility after being enrolled for a year and a half. That happens all the time. Drew Barker is one that sticks out to me, iirc.

It's irrelevant anyways as I doubt Wynyard is here for 4 years anyways.

I've been watching some highlights of him. He's gonna be a lot better than some people think. Maybe better than Humphries. The only thing I'm thinking about is a crowded frontcourt next year. Gabriel, Bam, SKJ, Humphries, and Wynyard. Gabriel may play the 3 if Ulis leaves so that would make it a little less crowded.

As soon as he enrolled, he has five years to play four years. That is the rule in basketball since the season stretches across two semesters.

This year counts as one full year when he enrolls. If he plays a minute, he burns an entire year (unless he gets hurt and asks for a medical redshirt- not sure how that would work, but I digress).

If he redshirts, then he will have four full seasons left to play.

If he plays he has three full seasons left to play.

Clear as mud? LOL!

As soon as he enrolled, he has five years to play four years. That is the rule in basketball since the season stretches across two semesters.

This year counts as one full year when he enrolls. If he plays a minute, he burns an entire year (unless he gets hurt and asks for a medical redshirt- not sure how that would work, but I digress).

If he redshirts, then he will have four full seasons left to play.

If he plays he has three full seasons left to play.

Clear as mud? LOL!

Wasn't there a situation or two where a kid was around 6 years? Is that right or am I wrong about this? I cant remember his name but there was a kid that played on that real good Miami team a couple years ago that I think was a 6year kid. He was a big PF. Just cant remember the name.

I've been watching some highlights of him. He's gonna be a lot better than some people think. Maybe better than Humphries. The only thing I'm thinking about is a crowded frontcourt next year. Gabriel, Bam, SKJ, Humphries, and Wynyard. Gabriel may play the 3 if Ulis leaves so that would make it a little less crowded.

I don't think Wynyard plays a lot next season, unless he beats out Willis.

I think our front court rotation will be:

Gabriel(3-4)
Adebayo(4-5)
Humphries(5)
Killeya-Jones(4-5)
Willis(3-4)

I don't think Wynyard plays a lot next season, unless he beats out Willis.

I think our front court rotation will be:

Gabriel(3-4)
Adebayo(4-5)
Humphries(5)
Killeya-Jones(4-5)
Willis(3-4)
Goodness that's a scary rotation for other teams.

I love it

Goodness that's a scary rotation for other teams.

I love it

And the guards will be equally frightening, IMHO:

Fox(1)
Monk(1-2)
Matthews(2-3)
Hawkins(1-2)
Mulder(2-3)

And there is still a chance (though I don't see it happening) that one of our starting guards comes back (Ulis or Briscoe).

That's a scary 10 man roster (and Wynyard is our 11th man). Not quite 2014-15 level, but extremely deep.

You are right about Football. But, Basketball has different rules.

ADVERTISEMENT