ADVERTISEMENT

New S&C approach

Please.... Someone get our coaches some info on "KneesOverToes" guy on Twitter. He was a non athletic dude that had several knee surgeries. He did some unorthodox stuff to get himself healthy enough to tryout for a college team and ended up earning a scholly. Dude can add several inches to a vertical and prevent knee injuries.

This is a guy who couldn't even dunk his freshman year of college.... And even though he had repeatedly tore his knees up... after he increased his vertical he never hurt the knee again.

I'm not sure when the timelines of the last S&C coaches are.. but we seem to have been OK since the debacle in 2022 with Ty and Grady. Really, it was that year and the 7 years prior that seems like we ALWAYS had a big injury to deal with, or at least nagging injuries.

Did we get Welch only in the last few years?

Reactions: chroix
I'm not sure when the timelines of the last S&C coaches are.. but we seem to have been OK since the debacle in 2022 with Ty and Grady. Really, it was that year and the 7 years prior that seems like we ALWAYS had a big injury to deal with, or at least nagging injuries.

Did we get Welch only in the last few years?
Welsh came in summer of 2022.

Overall, S&C coaches are pretty much the same guy, repackaged with a new approach. People got excited about Holsopple, Oliver, Harris, Welsh and now Towner. These guys have such a minimum impact imo.

Overall, S&C coaches are pretty much the same guy, repackaged with a new approach. People got excited about Holsopple, Oliver, Harris, Welsh and now Towner. These guys have such a minimum impact imo.

It's more so, I just don't want someone old and crusty who still thinks the Presidential Fitness Exam is the best way to determine strength and ability.

I'm sure whoever we hire is properly vetted and will likely do the right things to keep our players on the court.

Reactions: bthaunert
There are similarities to S&C coaches. But each do things per coaches for specific reasons. Each S&C coach does not have their own plan for a team. That is why one guy, say Rock Oliver was so good at his job. He did one thing for UK basketball and completely other plans for other teams and sports. Pat Etchiberry (SP) strength coach at UK Football back in the 70s / 80s was great at building core strength. Neck isolations to slow down stingers and such.

When it comes to things like ankle injuries and such that is not as much strength coach as it is genetics. I suffered 8 broken ankles play football (fractures) things like that. I taped up before every practice, game and such. when I was young I almost ran out in traffic as a 3 or 4 year old, my mom tackled me to save my life and that was the start of issues the rest of my life with ankles.

Man this is exactly the type of stuff I want to see. Love it.

Edit: This is also the sort of purchase you may or may not be able to make, when you are paying a coach $6mil/year instead of $10-11mil/year.
$90,000 I would be mad if we lost a chance to win a few games and advance in the tournament because in this billion dollar industry they can't afford 90,000
Man this is exactly the type of stuff I want to see. Love it.

Edit: This is also the sort of purchase you may or may not be able to make, when you are paying a coach $6mil/year instead of $10-11mil/year.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

When I was younger, I bought into the spiel that some S&C programs were head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe back in the 80's and for part of the 90's there was some truth to that. But it's 2024, the science behind making improvements is well known and the equipment is readily available. I'm convinced the only disparities between any Power 4 S&C programs is the ability of the S&C staff to motivate the athletes to push beyond what they perceive as their limits, and the inner drive of each athlete (See Nebraska football, for example). I'm convinced that beyond that, it's pretty much all the same. 🏋️‍♂️

When I was younger, I bought into the spiel that some S&C programs were head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe back in the 80's and for part of the 90's there was some truth to that. But it's 2024, the science behind making improvements is well known and the equipment is readily available. I'm convinced the only disparities between any Power 4 S&C programs is the ability of the S&C staff to motivate the athletes to push beyond what they perceive as their limits, and the inner drive of each athlete (See Nebraska football, for example). I'm convinced that beyond that, it's pretty much all the same. 🏋️‍♂️
I thought old Nebraska and Saban Alabama was PEDs more than anything else.

I thought old Nebraska and Saban Alabama was PEDs more than anything else.
You're not the first to make that suggestion about old Nebraska 😜. My memory is their Husker Power workout progressions were near leading-edge back in the mid-80's, and their charting tracked not just increased strength but increased speed and increased vertical jump. But some of the dudes to me looked a little cyborg-ish in those old photos. And everyone caught up a long time ago with Nebraska's S&C program. Nebraska hasn't been bullying anyone at the line for decades, and it's been forever since any of their linebackers or running backs have been labeled as 'freaks.'

I don't remember who ran the weights program for UK basketball at the time, but Robey, Phillips and Aleksinas were just massive. The old story (who knows if it's true) was Coach Rupp told Issel he would turn him into the school's all-time leading scorer if Issel would convince the other players to buy into the weights program Rupp had recently introduced for the UK basketball team.

Last edited:
Don't discount the analytics involved in this...while I am near being the poster boy for how not to train or workout, I do work in this area and stay amazed in some instances where the plain to see is actually missed....and now it's not. (Just speaking in general of analytics, not knowing how it was used in this instance but it is interesting. Showing a guy where he's stressed may work miracles,....EXCEPT in a relationship... ;) 😅

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT