ADVERTISEMENT

New Offensive Style (Booty Ball)

Larry Bird was maybe the best ever at this.

Once Bird got that ass planted into a defender on a wing, the defender knew shit wasn’t gonna end well for him. The result might be that patented turnaround fall away jumper, or maybe a quick pass to a cutting teammate, or maybe a spin move and drive, who knows …but Bird always seemed to make the right decision when he got a defender in that position.

The only true defense for bootyball used to be taking a charge on a particularly aggressive shoulder-down burst, but since the refs have dramatically downsized charges, bootyball has become even more effective. Expect a rule change soon.

Reactions: Zissou87

Once Bird got that ass planted into a defender on a wing, the defender knew shit wasn’t gonna end well for him. The result might be that patented turnaround fall away jumper, or maybe a quick pass to a cutting teammate, or maybe a spin move and drive, who knows …but Bird always seemed to make the right decision when he got a defender in that position.
agree 100

This has been a sore spot with me (cue the butt jokes :p) But this past year and especially in the tournament it seemed there was a lot more guys just bullying their way to the rim and I hate that. Used to drive me crazy that Corliss Wiliamson made All American that way.

I understand power and physical play has its place in the game but with the freedom they give the offense to cup and carry the ball, it's already become almost impossible to guard guys away from the basket and if you give them the same freedom to create contact and bump and back guys down, there really is no way to guard it if the the guy with the ball wants to be physical enough. As long as they do it in small incremental bumps without a big push they will allow them to back someone all the way to the rim and theres no way to stop it. People will say then hold our ground . . . you try to hold your ground and stay in front of a guy rocking back and forth bumping you off balance the entire time, then ball faking and pivoting you to death while you trying your damnest to not foul him. Its damn near impossible.

Any decent player shoud be able to score or get fouled most of the time around the basket and thats what I dont like about it, it takes away skill and rewards guys that all they reallly have is aggression. With the bigger and better athletes that can cover so much ground and close space today the game has already lost some of its beauty and flow and become kind of a big scrum.

I would like officiating to put an emphasis back on penalizing the offensive guy for initiating contact and moving a guy legitimate defender off his spot.

You’ll never believe the crazy new shot people are dominating basketball with.. they call it the sky hook!

• Haha
Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA

The NBA created the 5 sec backdown rule bc Barkley was so effective at it.

Reactions: ukfan1622
When you make your money off posting basketball content … and you’ve run clean out of new content … what else is there to do but try to con people into thinking old shit is new again.
That guy makes, for my money, the best freely available college basketball content on Youtube. Including the BYU video that every UK fan turned to the second Pope was hired (I think that video had a real, measurable effect in generating positivity around the Pope hire after the initial negative reaction many of us had). Why drag the guy? I wish there were more content creators like him.

That guy makes, for my money, the best freely available college basketball content on Youtube. Including the BYU video that every UK fan turned to the second Pope was hired (I think that video had a real, measurable effect in generating positivity around the Pope hire after the initial negative reaction many of us had). Why drag the guy? I wish there were more content creators like him.
Maybe he has had some good videos in the past ...and those may deserve praise ...but he deserves to be ridiculed for this one if he's acting like this is some sort of new style of play. As does the OP for laughably giving this thread the title "New Offensive Style."

Dudes backing defenders down ass first has been around forever. There's nothing new about it. And it ain't done any more often now than in the past. The only thing that is relatively new is calling it "booty ball." That is kinda clever. But a new name for it doesn't mean a new anything else.

Maybe he has had some good videos in the past ...and those may deserve praise ...but he deserves to be ridiculed for this one if he's acting like this is some sort of new style of play. As does the OP for laughably giving this thread the title "New Offensive Style."

Dudes backing defenders down ass first has been around forever. There's nothing new about it. And it ain't done any more often now than in the past. The only thing that is relatively new is calling it "booty ball." That is kinda clever. But a new name for it doesn't mean a new anything else.
When you picture a post-up, who has the ball? Probably a big man. This video is about a recent trend of team's posting their guards, including Nova's historically efficient, title-winning offense in 2018. If this relatively uncommon strategy was the key to a title, and the strategy is becoming more common, it seems worthy of further discussion and analysis to me. 🤷‍♂️

When you picture a post-up, who has the ball? Probably a big man. This video is about a recent trend of team's posting their guards, including Nova's historically efficient, title-winning offense in 2018. If this relatively uncommon strategy was the key to a title, and the strategy is becoming more common, it seems worthy of further discussion and analysis to me. 🤷‍♂️
Go watch some film of 80s and 90s big point guards like Magic Johnson, Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd. Or even further back with guys like Oscar Robertson. They were ALL booty ball masters.

Guards doing this ain’t anything new either. They’ve been doing it forever. This is just a case of a guy whose income depends on producing innovative online basketball content …who’s currently plum out of fresh ideas …so he’s just conning younger folk into thinking something old is something new.

I don't really get the whole negative reaction thing. Nobody that I knew (UK fan or not) was saying "OMG Pope was a bad hire". Not one of them. Pretty much the reaction "Thank God Calipari is away from the program, they needed a new direction".

I don't really get the whole negative reaction thing. Nobody that I knew (UK fan or not) was saying "OMG Pope was a bad hire". Not one of them. Pretty much the reaction "Thank God Calipari is away from the program, they needed a new direction".
You must have been offline that Thursday night

You must have been offline that Thursday night
I was online, you must not have read my comment. Let me rephrase. Nobody that I know, IRL, was expressing regret, anger, sadness, any of that about Pope. That's why so many people showed up to Mark's press conference. People here tend to think we represent the pulse of BBN. We don't. There may be more knowledge about players in general, but certainly not the history.

I was online, you must not have read my comment. Let me rephrase. Nobody that I know, IRL, was expressing regret, anger, sadness, any of that about Pope. That's why so many people showed up to Mark's press conference. People here tend to think we represent the pulse of BBN. We don't. There may be more knowledge about players in general, but certainly not the history.
There were a lot of disappointed people(including me) and a few who were downright angry. I think he has just about won everybody over by now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT