ADVERTISEMENT

New Offensive Coach

canebreak

Senior
Jan 26, 2004
We are going to see real quick if this new coach has any real influence over the style of play. Will we spread the floor and let these guards operate and open things up? Or will we try to post players who cannot post and shoot last second 3's. I don't see how this coach can have any influence as long as Cal is stomping and screaming run.

Well, we know he can't force two seven footers in the game.

Can't play two big men if you have no big men...

Reactions: MbergCat
We are going to see real quick if this new coach has any real influence over the style of play. Will we spread the floor and let these guards operate and open things up? Or will we try to post players who cannot post and shoot last second 2's. I don't see how this coach can have any influence as long as Cal is stomping and screaming run.
FIFY.

Cal would rather see our guys shoot 19 footers.

Worst shot in basketball.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
We are going to see real quick if this new coach has any real influence over the style of play. Will we spread the floor and let these guards operate and open things up? Or will we try to post players who cannot post and shoot last second 3's. I don't see how this coach can have any influence as long as Cal is stomping and screaming run.

They've practiced 2 weeks. You're not going to see a clean version of what our offensive scheme will be.

They've practiced 2 weeks. You're not going to see a clean version of what our offensive scheme will be.
We haven't seen a offensive scheme in any of Cal's teams in March. He simply tries to out-talent/ out-muscle you and then throw up a prayer. And I think this new Welch hire is just to shut everyone up because he doesn't want another dose of "wasted all that talent" thrown at him.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Well, I'm just hoping that we can add a third play to our repertoire. For the past two seasons, our entire offensive arsenal consisted of two plays.

Play #1: Point guard dribbles to top of key. Oscar sets back screen on the opponent's right side.

Play #2: Point guard dribbles to top of key. Oscar sets back screen on the opponent's left side.

It sure would be nice to add a third option. You know, just to keep 'em guessing. Maybe we could run the opponent off the ol' picket fence. Just spit ballin' here.

He seems to be paying dividends. There is a noticeable difference in style of play already.

We haven't seen an offensive scheme in any of Cal's teams in March. He simply tries to out-talent/ out-muscle you and then throw up a prayer. And I think this new Welch hire is just to shut everyone up because he doesn't want another dose of "wasted all that talent" thrown at him.
BS

Reactions: Graham51
It's a shame the highest paid coach in the country needs a coach to teach and run the offense.

I doubt we'll see a lot of the new guy's stuff until the season starts. Cal said he's coaching this summer and it was clear he was during huddles when the new guy was just standing in the background.

Most likely it'll be a little here, little there and not "boom" right out of the gates in November. Good and bad plays will still have Cal's fingerprint all over them, I'm sure. Remember, Cal is known as somewhat of a control freak when it comes to his team's "style" of play.

It's a shame the highest paid coach in the country needs a coach to teach and run the offense.
The game has changed, he has to adapt or be left behind. So bring in some young bright mind. Give him a stacked roster and oversee and teach defense. He will pick it up. He is clever. If he didn't then we have a problem. I'm my opinion

I'm as hard as anybody on Cal but didn't Phil Jackson have Tex Winter coach the triangle offense for Jordan and Kobe? Phil did all right.

If Mitchell can shoot like that for most of the season, we can dribble drive our way to the final 4!? Maybe a stretch but you get what I'm saying. Our guards are explosive and can shoot.

Reactions: kyjeff1
FIFY.

Cal would rather see our guys shoot 19 footers.

Worst shot in basketball.
Depends on the team...last year, especially in the second half of the season, we were losing all the games we shot 20 plus 3s in.

Shooting and missing plenty of wide open 3s is why we lost to KSU and many other teams last year. However, in the majority of games UK won, they were very efficient shooting the mid to long range two, specifically Oscar and moreso Reeves coming off screens.

I don't disagree that shooting long twos is not a winning strategy, but when you don't have a team capable of knocking down 3s, you have to play to their strength. Whether ppl want to admit it or not, last year mid to long range twos was actually a strength of the team (Oscar, Reeves, Toppin). If they would have shot more of those against KSU, they would have advanced.

Reactions: gharding07
Depends on the team...last year, especially in the second half of the season, we were losing all the games we shot 20 plus 3s in.

Shooting and missing plenty of wide open 3s is why we lost to KSU and many other teams last year. However, in the majority of games UK won, they were very efficient shooting the mid to long range two, specifically Oscar and moreso Reeves coming off screens.

I don't disagree that shooting long twos is not a winning strategy, but when you don't have a team capable of knocking down 3s, you have to play to their strength. Whether ppl want to admit it or not, last year mid to long range twos was actually a strength of the team (Oscar, Reeves, Toppin). If they would have shot more of those against KSU, they would have advanced.
See, here's the way I see it, if you have a shooter, or multiple shooters that have hit a couple, you gotta read the room and run stuff to get those guys open shots. Cal doesn’t do that.

If you have a guy hitting 19 footers, then keep feeding him the ball on the good side of a middle ball screen.

Too many times we have seen Cal take a guy, that was scolding hot from the outside and put him on the bench. He did it with Booker, Quickly, Juzang, Baker and Reeves just last year.

That’s all I'm saying, feed the hot hand, read the room, let the hot shooter remain hot.

Last edited:
Reactions: gharding07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT