ADVERTISEMENT

New Name "Big" Big Man, Graduate Transfer

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Ben Roberts þ@NextCats 17s18 seconds ago

Ben Roberts retweeted Evan Daniels

6-11, 270-pound player averaged 10.1 points and 7.3 rebounds at Charlotte this season ... https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/586525411229638656 …

Ben Roberts added,

Evan Daniels[/B] @EvanDaniels

Graduate transfer Mike Thorne is visiting Pittsburgh this weekend. Kansas, Illinois to get visits. Also now has new interest from Kentucky.

hmm solid numbers. He is a hoss that's for sure. 270 pounds damnz. Charlotte is conf usa I believe. Looking him up on youtube

Saw Charlotte a few times this year, and it seemed like they played a lot of guys, so I bet those numbers are better on a per-minute basis.

Didn't seem to be much of a defensive force, but he did play well against a good Miami squad (probably had 20), and if not for being TERRIBLY coached, they might have won that game.

He was solid against Western in Bowling Green too, but Fant outplayed him. Obviously not sure what his numbers were for that game because I couldn't have forseen a reason to remember to care, but I do remember no one seemed to shoot besides Dorn and Ogbueze.

Seems to move pretty well for being so big. And he is a big, big man. I'd love to get him just to teach the new kids what it's like to play against a grown ass man.

Charlotte's roster shows Mike Thorne as 6' 9" and 250. Maybe he has grown. He averaged 53.4% from the field, and 53.5% from the line.

This could be an insurance policy in case Skal is declared ineligible, a la Eloy Vargas in Kanter's class.

Originally posted by gossie21:
This could be an insurance policy in case Skal is declared ineligible, a la Eloy Vargas in Kanter's class.
No WAY they pull a 'Kanter' on us again with UNC cheating their asses off

Originally posted by Blueathletics:
Ultimately I think Skal will be fine, but we are dealing with the NCAA here. They are the very definition of arbitrary and capricious. So I wouldn't put anything past them.

Also, it wouldn't technically be a Kanter because I don't think there is a pro team involved here. But there may be some damning fact out there that we are not aware of. You just never know in these cases.

The possibility behind Kanter's ineligibility was because he played professionally in Turkey. How are they going to make Skal ineligible? He has a sh*tty guardian, okay. He also makes terrific grades in high school and plays AAU ball like every other top recruit in the country. Plus, I can't even remember the last time that the #1 player in the country coming out of high school was declared ineligible. (And Skal is very well on his way to that ranking.)
On top of all that, I mean, UNC.

Originally posted by Rhavicc:
The possibility behind Kanter's ineligibility was because he played professionally in Turkey. How are they going to make Skal ineligible? He has a sh*tty guardian, okay. He also makes terrific grades in high school and plays AAU ball like every other top recruit in the country. Plus, I can't even remember the last time that the #1 player in the country coming out of high school was declared ineligible. (And Skal is very well on his way to that ranking.)
So you are saying you trust the NCAA to make a fair and logical decision?

I don't think it will matter, Cal should get one of these three: Zimmerman, Diallo, or Maker.

If Labissiere is ineligible (which should not happen), then we still have one of those guys at the 5, Poythress at the 4, and Lee off the bench.

Originally posted by Blueathletics:

Ultimately I think Skal will be fine, but we are dealing with the NCAA here. They are the very definition of arbitrary and capricious. So I wouldn't put anything past them.

Also, it wouldn't technically be a Kanter because I don't think there is a pro team involved here. But there may be some damning fact out there that we are not aware of. You just never know in these cases.
Skal's situation is similar to Noel's, in that the people around him are a tad bit shady.

If Skal never took money, or even if his guardian didn't, he's in the clear. It's as simple as that. Asking for money and receiving money are two entirely different things, most notably because asking for cash leaves no paper trail whereas taking cash does. Plus, if you think ruling a Haitian earthquake victim ineligible is something the NCAA is interested in, you are probably mistaken.

On a side note, Boatright, Selby, and Muhammed were all in far worse situations, and each of them played.
This post was edited on 4/10 5:20 PM by Son_Of_Saul

Originally posted by Rhavicc:
So you are saying you trust the NCAA to make a fair and logical decision?
Recently, they've been doing better.

Plus, on what grounds would you rule him ineligible and do you honestly think the Kentucky coaching staff hasn't covered every single base with Skal and his guardian?

Originally posted by bucsrule8872:
I don't think it will matter, Cal should get one of these three: Zimmerman, Diallo, or Maker.

If Labissiere is ineligible (which should not happen), then we still have one of those guys at the 5, Poythress at the 4, and Lee off the bench.
Losing Big Skal would be a huge deal.

He's expected to be top 3 pick in NBA draft. Not sure it's so easy to replace someone like him. Also if Cheik Diallo or Zimmerman were already joining with Big Skal here, you aren't really replacing him.

Originally posted by WildMoon:

He's expected to be top 3 pick in NBA draft. Not sure it's so easy to replace someone like him. Also if Cheik Diallo or Zimmerman were already joining with Big Skal here, you aren't really replacing him.
I'm still waiting for anyone to articulate an plausible reason to deny Skal eligibility at Kentucky.

If anyone can actually provide a reasonable explanation outside of the typical "The NCAA is out to get us" paranoia, I'm all ears...

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:

I'm still waiting for anyone to articulate an plausible reason to deny Skal eligibility at Kentucky.

If anyone can actually provide a reasonable explanation outside of the typical "The NCAA is out to get us" paranoia, I'm all ears...
I'll tell you this,....Skal would be better off playing like crap at the hoop summit. If he dominates the game the chances of ineligible become increased! Kanter proved that lol

Originally posted by Bluegrass79:

I'll tell you this,....Skal would be better off playing like crap at the hoop summit. If he dominates the game the chances of ineligible become increased! Kanter proved that lol
Far more smoke with Nerlens Noel, Muhammed, Selby, and Boatright, and all of them played.

Thorne will visit KU, UI and UK per Jeff Goidman today. Has already visited Pitt.

Originally posted by Bluegrass79:

Finally, you make a reasonable post I can get on board with!
wink.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT