ADVERTISEMENT

New Assistant Coach Thoughts

Nov 18, 2011
Couple a things: MB rejected Cal's wanting an OC. Cal as been advised heavily to stay away from his lineage friends.

I'ld like to see someone in the cut of Robic. Someone that Cal trusts with the offense. We know Cal can coach defense and there's not a better recruiter. Also the players are always in great condition. I believe he knows he needs to change the offense.

And I'm thinking he's looking for a really good offensive mind.

Cal used to run the motion, then switched to DD. I think the later is difficult for one and dones and transfers. It needs time to master it and it needs superior athletes. Especially at the front and back courts.

I liked how PJ was utilized against a zone def and Edwards, or even Bradshaw may be pretty good playing that role. I wouldn't mind us going to a 4 1 motion like Jay Wright ran. I think it fits this team very well. I like the passing abilities of the freshman. Quick, hard cuts and good passing works well in that offense. I think we can put up more numbers on the score board.

And the team coming in is built for transition offense.

I'm holding my breath on the new assistant's role. I believe that's all we're lacking. Fix the offense and we're back.

Couple a things: MB rejected Cal's wanting an OC. Cal as been advised heavily to stay away from his lineage friends.

I'ld like to see someone in the cut of Robic. Someone that Cal trusts with the offense. We know Cal can coach defense and there's not a better recruiter. Also the players are always in great condition. I believe he knows he needs to change the offense.

Cal used to run the motion, then switched to DD. I think the later is difficult for one and dones and transfers. It needs time to master it and it needs superior athletes. Especially at the front and back courts.

I liked how PJ was utilized against a zone def and Edwards, or even Bradshaw may be pretty good playing that role. I wouldn't mind us going to a 4 1 motion like Jay Wright ran. I think it fits this team very well. I like the passing abilities of the freshman. Quick, hard cuts and good passing works well in that offense. I think we can put up more numbers on the score board.

I'm holding my breath on the new assistant's role. I believe that's all we're lacking. Fix the offense and we're back.
God bless you. Once you get out of high school and realize what is really going on you will temper your expectations. Hang in there buddy.

MB rejected Cal getting an OC because he already has the NCAA allotted assistant coaches. Anymore and we break an NCAA rule. So if Cal wants an OC he has to fire or demote an assistant and hire one on.

Or, in the event where one of his assistants leaves for another job (ex: right now) he will have the opportunity to hire an OC without having to fire or demote anyone.

Cal loves to place or imply blame on everyone but himself.

MB rejected Cal getting an OC because he already has the NCAA allotted assistant coaches. Anymore and we break an NCAA rule. So if Cal wants an OC he has to fire or demote an assistant and hire one on.

Or, in the event where one of his assistants leaves for another job (ex: right now) he will have the opportunity to hire an OC without having to fire or demote anyone.

Cal loves to place or imply blame on everyone but himself.
No we had non recruiter spots available that we didn't fill due to barny. Welch fwiw is a offensive guy and shooting coach

Reactions: john19
Odd that its taking so long. Turner has been "gone" for 4-5 weeks now. They posted the job last week, which I figured it meant, they had their coach.

The Welch guy people are talking about is the dad of UK walk on Riley Welch... I looked him up.. Been at several college and NBA teams. Rumor was he was considered for the Celtics job a few months back, when Ime Udoku was fired.

Odd that its taking so long. Turner has been "gone" for 4-5 weeks now. They posted the job last week, which I figured it meant, they had their coach.

The Welch guy people are talking about is the dad of UK walk on Riley Welch... I looked him up.. Been at several college and NBA teams. Rumor was he was considered for the Celtics job a few months back, when Ime Udoku was fired.
Another old friend yes man.Exactly what Cal doesn't need.

Um, DD...."M"...."O".... is the motionest offense Cal ever ran. Then he switched -out- of that here because he was kind of Big Man U for a good while. Claimed to run versions of it all along, and in truth he has here and there, on and off. But if you want motion, DD is not what you want less of. Play an even more open, ultra-modern motion offense? I wouldn't mind seeing that at all. But let me see Cal crawl again before I start thinking he's going to run.

Last edited:
No we had non recruiter spots available that we didn't fill due to barny. Welch fwiw is a offensive guy and shooting coach
Like what? A grad assistant position? What other position could you put an OC in where he still gets to travel with the team? In any event if Cal really wanted an OC he’d stopped filling his assistant positions with recruiters (which is weird he does that since that’s supposed to be his calling card) and fill one with an OC.

Why hire Flint? Why hire LT Turner? Defend those hires please, while considering we needed an OC and not more recruiters.

Welch is not an old friend, yes man of Calipari by the way. No idea if he's going to be on the staff but if he is, it's a home run hire by Calipari. Welch is one of the most respected coaches in the NBA
Welch would be a strong hire. He'd be the Robic replacement everyone has wanted. The issue is you don't keep Bruiser Flint in a recruiting role then. Dump his ass immediately and see if any other program in the country would hire him to fold towels. I'd bet strongly the answer would be NO.

If Flint is the KT Turner replacement, that's awful.

Y’all are still spreading the Mitch Barnhart reject an offensive coordinator in basketball lie. How pathetic. Dude has the highest paid staff in the land and hand picked every assistant on his staff and people still spread this BS lie. Unbelievable.

Like what? A grad assistant position? What other position could you put an OC in where he still gets to travel with the team? In any event if Cal really wanted an OC he’d stopped filling his assistant positions with recruiters (which is weird he does that since that’s supposed to be his calling card) and fill one with an OC.

Why hire Flint? Why hire LT Turner? Defend those hires please, while considering we needed an OC and not more recruiters.
You can have special non recruiting positions. We were short minimum 2ish by all of the power schools. Kt wasn't a recruiter as much as he was for player development. A non recruiting assistant can fly just as much as bruiser. The point is they could of hired someone but uk wouldn't pay.

Y’all are still spreading the Mitch Barnhart reject an offensive coordinator in basketball lie. How pathetic. Dude has the highest paid staff in the land and hand picked every assistant on his staff and people still spread this BS lie. Unbelievable.
Point is we had room and they refused the name he wanted to hire over 200k

You can have special non recruiting positions. We were short minimum 2ish by all of the power schools. Kt wasn't a recruiter as much as he was for player development. A non recruiting assistant can fly just as much as bruiser. The point is they could have hired someone but uk wouldn't pay.
Sorry man, not buying what you’re selling. Cal makes $9 mil a year and gets to pick his own assistants and grad assistants. Anybody he wants. And he puts Bruiser Flint and KT Turner on his staff. Turner was the better of the two just because he had ties to Texas recruits.

The point is Cal can have anyone he wants on his staff. Why would Barney give Cal more money to hire an OC when he gave one of his 6 figure assistant coaching jobs to his buddy Flint? If he used up all his slots on a dynamic, and division 1 leading staff then you might have an argument. But when he wastes these high profile jobs on his old buddies you can’t expect his boss to give him $200k for an OC when he can’t even get past the first weekend in March.

Sorry man, not buying what you’re selling. Cal makes $9 mil a year and gets to pick his own assistants and grad assistants. Anybody he wants. And he puts Bruiser Flint and KT Turner on his staff. Turner was the better of the two just because he had ties to Texas recruits.

The point is Cal can have anyone he wants on his staff. Why would Barney give Cal more money to hire an OC when he gave one of his 6 figure assistant coaching jobs to his buddy Flint? If he used up all his slots on a dynamic, and division 1 leading staff then you might have an argument. But when he wastes these high profile jobs on his old buddies you can’t expect his boss to give him $200k for an OC when he can’t even get past the first weekend in March.
Bingo. Cal bringing in retirment age friends to run out the clock and cash checks was a sign he's acting in bad faith. Even Mitch, a man who made his bones at UT while Jimmy Sexton was fleecing horrible contracts from that athletic department and has spent 2 decades carrying that legacy to lexington, can see it.

Point is we had room and they refused the name he wanted to hire over 200k
We have the highest paid coach in basketball. We have the highest paid staff in basketball with 4 assistant coaches making over $500K each. We have the highest recruiting budget in basketball. Despite all of this y’all expect us to believe MB said no to an “offensive coordinator” for a position y’all can’t explain has an opening because of $200k? I’m not buying it. New coaching staff rules don’t go into effect until July so where exactly is this staff opening?

Last edited:
Welch would be a strong hire. He'd be the Robic replacement everyone has wanted. The issue is you don't keep Bruiser Flint in a recruiting role then. Dump his ass immediately and see if any other program in the country would hire him to fold towels. I'd bet strongly the answer would be NO.

This. Sounds like a fantastic hire IMO. Was actually very curious of your opinion on this. Good to see it was brought up here.

Last edited:

Hopefully this works out and this dude is in fact coming if he’s gonna be like Robic. I think that is the reason we have stunk for awhile honestly.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
John Beilein is the guy I have always hoped for. And at 70yo he would be content in that role of advisor.

It's a shame I live 2+ hours away from Lexington. I'd like to attend practices, sit in on athletic department meeting, and go on recruiting visits too. It's really not fair when so many of you that live closer get to do that. You all are getting way better behind-the-scenes intel than I can get. At least you post it here for me to read about later.

• Love
Reactions: shodaman
Lol, it doesn’t matter who Calipari brings in. They will be there to look the part and collect an easy check. Cal isn’t listening to anyone!

And the notion that Cal wants an offensive coordinator is beyond ridiculous! The guy makes millions and still can’t coordinate the offense for 5 guys on the basketball floor? Mr. HOF? Some of y’all don’t think beyond your own forehead 😂

John Beilein is the guy I have always hoped for. And at 70yo he would be content in that role of advisor.
You do realize that John Beilein is an outlier in the fact he's never been an Assistant Coach in his coaching career. Respect your knowledge for recognizing his talent as a coach, but it's just never taking place.

Also and sadly may I add, do you honestly think if someone like Beilein did want to help out and be an Assistant at Kentucky, that Cal would ever hire him? Things turn around..you know who is going to get credited and we know the ego that comes into play. It's not just Cal either-most guys have egos like this.

You do realize that John Beilein is an outlier in the fact he's never been an Assistant Coach in his coaching career. Respect your knowledge for recognizing his talent as a coach, but it's just never taking place.

Also and sadly may I add, do you honestly think if someone like Beilein did want to help out and be an Assistant at Kentucky, that Cal would ever hire him? Things turn around..you know who is going to get credited and we know the ego that comes into play. It's not just Cal either-most guys have egos like this.
More wishful thinking than anything on my part. I just think he is one of best offensive minds in CBB over the past couple of decades. And he has a pretty low key role now. I definitely agree with the 2nd paragraph and it not happening and how Cal's ego is a big factor. I don't think anyone is going to steal Bruiser from us unfortunately regardless so any opening will be as a recruiter.

People don't understand how good Welch would be. Basically was a oc his entire nba career

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan

Welch might not be the guy but if it is him, you’re right. Outstanding Robic replacement.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan

Apparently no one wants him as he was supposed to get some head coaching position but guess that fell thru

Last edited:
You can have special non recruiting positions. We were short minimum 2ish by all of the power schools. Kt wasn't a recruiter as much as he was for player development. A non recruiting assistant can fly just as much as bruiser. The point is they could of hired someone but uk wouldn't pay.
Apparently kt wasn't much force as I saw no improvement

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT