ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix, Prime, other streaming recs......

UK_Dallas

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2015
Dallas
Since it seems most are going to be stuck indoors or around the house for the next month or so I imagine there will be some streaming binging.

What are some new or off the radar recommendations you have? Series, documentaries or movies.

ZeroZeroZero - excellent Narcos type season. 8 episodes. Prime.
The Five - same writer and producer that gave us The Stranger if you've seen that. It's better IMO. 10 episodes. Netflix.

Let's hear them!!

Last edited:
First, I’d watch “Patriot” on Amazon. I think it’s the best show ever.

I don’t know if these are streaming, but British stuff:

Funny:
Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret
Peep Show (tons of seasons to binge)
Pulling
Spaced
Saxondale

Dark Crime Stuff:
Luther
Marcella
Broadchurch
Happy Valley
The Fall
Wallander

McMillions- HBO
Goliath- prime

just started Jack Ryan. 3 episodes in and good so far

Cheer- last chance u like

Reactions: Mossip
I just started watching Containment on Netflix.

It's about a deadly virus outbreak in Atlanta and it only has 1 season.

It doesn't have the best acting or production value but I like it through 2 episodes.

I'm going to start this off by saying I mostly like and watch superhero ,fantasy, and sci-fi shows.

The Boys- Prime

Another vote for Patriot on Amazon. Amazing.

Jack Ryan season 1 and 2 on Prime

Prime

Another vote for The Boys. It's like Justice League meets Hancock in a TV show. A dark, comical look at superheroes that do good deeds but don't really give a f***.

The Expanse - Pretty good sci-fi show about humans that live on different worlds in a war with each other.

The Tick - Another corny superhero comedy type show but entertaining if you like that kind of thing.

Hulu

Future Man - A cheesy and raunchy time travel comedy about an average Joe that gets pulled into a war to save humanity.

11.22.63 - This one's been out for a while and is only like 8 episodes I think about a guy who finds a portal/wormhole where he can travel back in time to a specific day. He has the chance to stop the Kennedy assassination and see what effects it causes.

Netflix

Lost In Space - Pretty good remake of the old TV show about the Robinson family traveling through space and trying to find a new home for humanity.

The Witcher - Very good fantasy type show based off of the books/video games of the same name. Kind of has a Game of Thrones type of feel to it.

Stranger Things - I'm sure everyone knows about this one and likely has seen it already.

Raising Dion - Pretty good family superhero type show.

Altered Carbon - Haven't really watched this one yet but looks interesting.

Just a handful from off the top of my head that I've seen and one I might start here soon.

Mr. Robot- You can watch it several times and not experience the same context as the first time you watch it. Great time to watch when you are quarantined up with not much else to watch.

Two Documentaries I highly recommend:

Break Down the House (warning, it features Democratic women, which is sure to offend some posters) - four women who ran for Congress or Senate in 2018 are profiled. As someone that ran for public office recently, I found it not only fascinating, but also inspiring, democracy really does work. No matter what your political persuasion, you will find the show thought provoking. A real grass roots level look at how campaigns, especially ones without a lot of money, are mounted.

Hillbilly - filmed by a woman who grew up in a holler in Kimper, KY (Pike County), went to UK, then moved to LA where she became an independent filmaker. It is a very powerful show about how the stereotypes of Eastern Kentucky are so detrimental to the people living there, very sympathetic view of why so many from where she came from voted for Trump in 2016, but a much wider view of the region is presented than just the 2016 election. One factoid I learned is that the little kid who played the banjo in "Deliverance" was chosen from an Eastern Kentucky 4th grade class, got paid $500 for his role in the movie, and 40 years later gathers shopping carts at the local Walmart.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Broadchurch
Goliath

Watch those two before wasting time on anything else.

Season 3 Ozark!! March 27
Broadchurch is good although I had to watch with subtitles. That thick Irish/Scottish brogue was indecipherable.
Bad Blood on Netflix is a good 2-season show. Wrapped up pretty nicely

Last edited:
Two Documentaries I highly recommend:

Break Down the House (warning, it features Democratic women, which is sure to offend some posters) - four women who ran for Congress or Senate in 2018 are profiled. As someone that ran for public office recently, I found it not only fascinating, but also inspiring, democracy really does work. No matter what your political persuasion, you will find the show thought provoking. A real grass roots level look at how campaigns, especially ones without a lot of money, are mounted.

Hillbilly - filmed by a woman who grew up in a holler in Kimper, KY (Pike County), went to UK, then moved to LA where she became an independent filmaker. It is a very powerful show about how the stereotypes of Eastern Kentucky are so detrimental to the people living there, very sympathetic view of why so many from where she came from voted for Trump in 2016, but a much wider view of the region is presented than just the 2016 election. One factoid I learned is that the little kid who played the banjo in "Deliverance" was chosen from an Eastern Kentucky 4th grade class, got paid $500 for his role in the movie, and 40 years later gathers shopping carts at the local Walmart.
What is hillbilly on?

Netflix - Derry Girls.

You’ll definitely need subtitles. Heavy Irish accents and slang.

The entire run of Battlestar Galactica is streaming on the SyFy app for free

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT