ADVERTISEMENT

Need advice on sons first UK football game

Nov 3, 2003
I am being my son to his first game this Saturday. He is 18 and he actually bought the tickets for us as a Fathers Day present. I want to make the most of this day for the both of us.

I’m driving up from Tennessee, close to Chattanooga, and it is roughly 3 hour 40 minute drive. I75 N pretty much the whole way. My question is should we come up tonight and get a hotel room or would it be better to leave around 5 AM in the morning?

Also, what should we do when we get there? I want to have a game plan and an idea of where we need to go and what we should do before kickoff.

Thanks for the help BBN, we are excited to see us get a big win this weekend.

For a drive of that length, I'd come up tonight. Unfortunately I know Lexington hotels are full and any remaining rooms are pretty outrageous.

Still I'd at least do something halfway if possible. Because you can't have any real expectations of showing up anytime near kickoff and 1) quickly dealing with traffic and 2) finding anywhere to park (unless you have a parking pass). It will be gridlock. So if you don't do at least part of the trip tonight, you should plan to leave way earlier tomorrow.

Jmo

Reactions: maroon79
For a drive of that length, I'd come up tonight. Unfortunately I know Lexington hotels are full and any remaining rooms are pretty outrageous.

Still I'd at least do something halfway if possible. Because you can't have any real expectations of showing up anytime near kickoff and 1) quickly dealing with traffic and 2) finding anywhere to park (unless you have a parking pass). It will be gridlock. So if you don't do at least part of the trip tonight, you should plan to leave way earlier tomorrow.

Jmo
I could drive half way and drive the 90 minute drive in the morning. Just need a decent place to get some sleep tonight.

I still need some advice on best place to go for parking and some direction on what we should do once we get there? I know it sounds rudimentary, but this is our first game.

I still need some advice on best place to go for parking and some direction on what we should do once we get there? I know it sounds rudimentary, but this is our first game.

Without a pass, parking is wherever you can find it in someone's yard. Otherwise you can park downtown and get a shuttle back and forth.

Given the timing and unfamiliarity with the process, you probably won't have any spare time to fill so I wouldn't worry to much about that

There are doctors offices on Nicholasville Drive that provide parking. This parking is directly across the street in front of where the entrance to Commonwealth Stadium is I believe pricing is about $20-$30 per car but convenient to the stadium and a short walk to where you can tailgate around the stadium before the game. I did this for years prior to me getting a parking pass.

There are doctors offices on Nicholasville Drive that provide parking. This parking is directly across the street in front of where the entrance to Commonwealth Stadium is I believe pricing is about $20-$30 per car but convenient to the stadium and a short walk to where you can tailgate around the stadium before the game. I did this for years prior to me getting a parking pass.
Thank you!

We drive 3.5hrs to the games. We park at KSRBar and ride the trolley to the stadium. The price is $1 per person to the stadium and $1 per person back to the parking lot. They start running like 2 or 3 hrs before the games and like 1 hour after the games.
Noon games we get rooms on Friday night. 3 o'clock games we drive it, do not stay all night. 4 o'clock or after games we stay Saturday nights.

I've driven that route from Chattanooga many times and I find it more like 4 1/2 hours and I drive at a pretty fast clip. We've done it both ways and driving up and back the same day factoring in game day traffic coming and going is a very long and tiring day. I recommend getting a hotel room either night before or game day.

Reactions: catfan621
I've driven that route from Chattanooga many times and I find it more like 4 1/2 hours and I drive at a pretty fast clip. We've done it both ways and driving up and back the same day factoring in game day traffic coming and going is a very long and tiring day. I recommend getting a hotel room either night before or game day.
We live in Cleveland, TN so it is a little bit closer.

Come in early around 7 (tailgate opens at 7), take exit 110 (US60) go towards downtown, stop across the street from Jif Peanut butter plant. Spaldings doughnuts. Get a couple. Then head towards KS Bar and Park and ride the shuttle. At Commonwealth (Grocery Store)(Kroger Field) look for Wildcat Nation tailgait (tell them PoBilly sent you) and enjoy the time with the crew over there before going in. If you want dinner before heading back you have many places to go (just depends you tastes and how much you want to spend).

I would pad whatever your travel time is tomorrow morning. Game day traffic can be frustrating. Getting from the interstate to Nicholasville Road can be frustrating sometimes.

He’s 18 lol That could be problematic. I’ve raised him right though. I couldn’t believe he used his own money for these tickets. That is why I want to do everything I can to make this day special for him.
I would still buy him beers, he won’t forget going to a SEC game with dad and having beers. You’ll never be able to top that imo 🍺

Do this. Get there early! Tailgate at KSR. You’ll have a place to eat and drink with other UK fans. Ride over and back for post game celebrations

We park at KSRBar and ride the trolley to the stadium. The price is $1 per person to the stadium and $1 per person back to the parking lot. They start running like 2 or 3 hrs before the games and like 1 hour after the games.

Do we have to buy a ticket to get in? I didn't want to sit down anyways. I jys want to get in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT