ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA making reclassing easier for 2020

Somebody find Eric Manuel! Tell Sean Sutton to stand down!

tenor.gif

Get the one-year horse farm mansion ready for Kuminga's family. He's worth it.

Guaranteed, those of you who are officially against it ethically will suddenly forget your "conviction" when Kuminga goes for something like 23 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks against Louisville.

Guaranteed, those of you who are officially against it ethically will suddenly forget your "conviction" when Kuminga goes for something like 23 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks against Louisville.
If one doesn't have convictions then what does one have? I'm sorry, but we shouldn't cheat to win, we look at Duke and UNC a certain way because of their misdeeds and we don't need to be in that light.

If one doesn't have convictions then what does one have? I'm sorry, but we shouldn't cheat to win, we look at Duke and UNC a certain way because of their misdeeds and we don't need to be in that light.

Convictions are the things you would die for, right?

So you would die over the principle of making sure kids don't get a fair piece of the pie? Denying a kid a mansion to live in for a year is worthy of dying over? Really?

Are you consistent enough to apply that standard to the 1996, 1997 years when guys like Anderson and Mercer were given the usage of brand-new cars while they were living in Lexington?

Also, it seems that so many of our fans can't have this discussion without using UNC, Duke, or others as the crux of their argument; as if the principle of "benefits" itself isn't really the issue, but rather, maintaining a mark of ethical superiority over the teams we hate.

Convictions are the things you would die for, right?

So you would die over the principle of making sure kids don't get a fair piece of the pie? Denying a kid a mansion to live in for a year is worthy of dying over? Really?

Are you consistent enough to apply that standard to the 1996, 1997 years when guys like Anderson and Mercer were given the usage of brand-new cars while they were living in Lexington?

Also, it seems that so many of our fans can't have this discussion without using UNC, Duke, or others as the crux of their argument; as if the principle of "benefits" itself isn't really the issue, but rather, maintaining a mark of ethical superiority over the teams we hate.
What is this nonsensical stream of garbage you just wrote?

The definition of a conviction you're looking for is: a firmly held belief or opinion.

I firmly hold we shouldn't cheat because its not right. We shouldn't have given money in the 80s and we shouldn't have had our equivalent of wheels-for-heels.

What is this nonsensical stream of garbage you just wrote?

The definition of a conviction you're looking for is: a firmly held belief or opinion.

I firmly hold we shouldn't cheat because its not right. We shouldn't have given money in the 80s and we shouldn't have had our equivalent of wheels-for-heels.

It's "garbage" because you don't believe the same view. That doesn't make it garbage; it just makes it something you don't share in. I'm okay with you disagreeing, but I don't think your view is "garbage."

A "firmly held belief" that you aren't willing to die for is no real conviction. You were more correct to call it an "opinion." And let me suggest something here: if your opinion is malleable enough to change simply because of a rules change (i.e., the coming shifting in amateurism laws on statewide levels), that's not the stuff of conviction. It is, however, the stuff of convenient argument juxtaposing when we want to take a swing at our recruiting rivals.

Lastly, if we follow your argumentative reasoning, would you should support a revoking of the 1996 title on ethical grounds? You said "we shouldn't have" had that system of providing cars of stars. So is this a conviction, or more appropriately, a malleable opinion?

Catspaw just happens to find out kuminga’s Venmo account. Catspawsers just happen to slide kuminga 20 that he lent us....

It's "garbage" because you don't believe the same view. That doesn't make it garbage; it just makes it something you don't share in. I'm okay with you disagreeing, but I don't think your view is "garbage."

A "firmly held belief" that you aren't willing to die for is no real conviction. You were more correct to call it an "opinion." And let me suggest something here: if your opinion is malleable enough to change simply because of a rules change (i.e., the coming shifting in amateurism laws on statewide levels), that's not the stuff of conviction. It is, however, the stuff of convenient argument juxtaposing when we want to take a swing at our recruiting rivals.

Lastly, if we follow your argumentative reasoning, would you should support a revoking of the 1996 title on ethical grounds? You said "we shouldn't have" had that system of providing cars of stars. So is this a conviction, or more appropriately, a malleable opinion?
That definition is straight outta the dictionary, sorry you're trying to bend words to your own meanings. And yes if they decide to change the rules, then I will be fine with us following those. The idea is to create a level playing field and that is where the conviction lies. If they alter the rules, it is still a level playing field. You build an advantage through tradition, staff, facilities, and those types of things. You don't do it by skirting or straight breaking the rules.

I'd be fine w/ the title being stripped if that was proven and all other schools that have done the same or similar also faced the same punishment. The level playing field is the important part. I don't really care if we ditch amateurism, that's not my stance.

That definition is straight outta the dictionary, sorry you're trying to bend words to your own meanings. And yes if they decide to change the rules, then I will be fine with us following those. The idea is to create a level playing field and that is where the conviction lies. If they alter the rules, it is still a level playing field. You build an advantage through tradition, staff, facilities, and those types of things. You don't do it by skirting or straight breaking the rules.

I'd be fine w/ the title being stripped if that was proven and all other schools that have done the same or similar also faced the same punishment. The level playing field is the important part. I don't really care if we ditch amateurism, that's not my stance.

Thank you for the kind response.

I respect your view because it is consistent. In fact, your position on the Cars for Stars is one that actually strengthens your overall case.

Well done, sir. I'll look forward to discussing this issue with you in the future. Thank you for your respectful response.

Question...Could someone like Kuminga reclass, then go to the G League? Ultimately skipping a year of HS and bypassing college to go right to G League?

Question...Could someone like Kuminga reclass, then go to the G League? Ultimately skipping a year of HS and bypassing college to go right to G League?

Yes, he (or any others) could do exactly this.

I'm with you on endorsement money. I can't go as far as what you suggest here - just backing up the money truck. Allowing a kid to make money off his image makes all the sense in the world - it's both fair, and fairly easy to implement without everything going to hell in a handbasket. It's how John Wall or Anthony Davis get fairly compensated, without worry about what the payroll should be for the 7th man on the team, or the 13th man on the team, or the star of the women's team, or the guy on the rifle team. My hope would be we could figure out a way to compensate kids for what they are worth, and it would in the end discourage cheating - not facilitate it....

Sean Sutton should have been kicked off the team for not keeping his mouth shut and letting Shawn Kemp pawn his chains..We would have won a title
Chapman
Manuel
Mills
Ellis
Kemp
Sean Sutton should have been kicked off the team for not keeping his mouth shut and letting Shawn Kemp pawn his chains..We would have won a title
Chapman
Manuel
Mills
Ellis
Kemp

I've always thought this. Kemp would have been the face of the program. He would have been our best pro until Davis came here.

That's what I was going to say. Just waiting for some juniors to skip reclassifying and just jumping to the G League. [eyeroll]

I've always thought this. Kemp would have been the face of the program. He would have been our best pro until Davis came here.
Really interesting piece in The Athletic this week about that very episode (they really are struggling for topics). Here's the money quote:

“I’ve never talked about this,” Sean Sutton told The Athletic recently. “In the past, I just said, ‘That’s not something I care to revisit.’ But I think everybody probably deserves to know the real truth. I want Kentucky fans to realize that Shawn Kemp was a good guy. It got so out of control, became such a big story, and it’s really, really unfortunate how it all played out. He was gone before any of us really understood what was happening. If I could go back 32 years, I’d probably do things differently. Because in my mind, and I would know as well as anybody, he didn’t take that stuff.”

And apparently it was well known and agreed to on the team - Kemp didn't take his chains. The impression is it was known who did it, and who gave them to Kemp to pawn, but they wouldn't name names. The decision that Kemp had to go came from over Sutton's head (trying to remember the timeline here - would that have been after the Emory story broke? If so, makes sense that Roselle would have been exercising great oversight).

Other good quote is from Kenny Walker, thinking about a team with Chapman, Mills, Kemp, Ellis and Manual if things had gone differently that spring and fall: “They would’ve been on par with the ’96 team at Kentucky” had they all stayed together, Walker says. “Eddie Sutton is a brilliant basketball coach and he could’ve controlled that talent and those egos. If he’d just had an opportunity to coach a team with that much talent …”

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Really interesting piece in The Athletic this week about that very episode (they really are struggling for topics). Here's the money quote:

“I’ve never talked about this,” Sean Sutton told The Athletic recently. “In the past, I just said, ‘That’s not something I care to revisit.’ But I think everybody probably deserves to know the real truth. I want Kentucky fans to realize that Shawn Kemp was a good guy. It got so out of control, became such a big story, and it’s really, really unfortunate how it all played out. He was gone before any of us really understood what was happening. If I could go back 32 years, I’d probably do things differently. Because in my mind, and I would know as well as anybody, he didn’t take that stuff.”

And apparently it was well known and agreed to on the team - Kemp didn't take his chains. The impression is it was known who did it, and who gave them to Kemp to pawn, but they wouldn't name names. The decision that Kemp had to go came from over Sutton's head (trying to remember the timeline here - would that have been after the Emory story broke? If so, makes sense that Roselle would have been exercising great oversight).

Other good quote is from Kenny Walker, thinking about a team with Chapman, Mills, Kemp, Ellis and Manual if things had gone differently that spring and fall: “They would’ve been on par with the ’96 team at Kentucky” had they all stayed together, Walker says. “Eddie Sutton is a brilliant basketball coach and he could’ve controlled that talent and those egos. If he’d just had an opportunity to coach a team with that much talent …”

Good find. UK was so close on multiple guys. Kemp. McGrady. Ray Allen. Dirk. Bird.

I often imagine what would have happened to the '95 team if we had Ray on it. Might have cost us the Anderson transfer, but I would have taken it if it meant a title in 1995 as well as 1996. Allen was a super stud both years and his presence on that 1995 team would have changed the complexion completely in a UNC game that was determined from the three point line.

Reactions: Mojocat
The two guys on the right were inches from being Wildcats. If there was a OAD rule in place with McGrady, he would have been our 6'9" gazelle and Kevin Durant-like all-American. This picture is fascinating when one considers the "what ifs" involved with T-Mac, Kemp, and even Grant Hill's impact on the Kentucky program.

If we had Kemp - perhaps we win a title.
If we had T-Mac- perhaps Pitino stays.
If Hill's pass is off by a few inches, perhaps UK wins the '92 title.

images

Come on, Cal. All you have to do is get either Banchero or Kuminga, and we're a title contender next season.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT