ADVERTISEMENT

NBA reaches $76 Billion Dollar Media Rights Deal

Outrage coming in 3… 2… 1…
About what? This is great.
Tesla make more than this. But how many millionaires work there. Work. For Tesla. Not douchebag stock brokers. Fifty, maybe.
NBA. 500. 600. And there's a churn. Players and coaches get the money and move on over 11 years.
Lot of people making lots of money that brings joy and civic pride.

Reactions: chroix
About what? This is great.
Tesla make more than this. But how many millionaires work there. Work. For Tesla. Not douchebag stock brokers. Fifty, maybe.
NBA. 500. 600. And there's a churn. Players and coaches get the money and move on over 11 years.
Lot of people making lots of money that brings joy and civic pride.
Naw

Reactions: NociHTTP
Will be curious to see the details. I expect a nice chunk of that is social media related. From what i read, the nba kills it on social media but struggles on love viewership.

Same if that tnt show indeed goes away. By far the best sports commentary show out there.

Reactions: Fox2monk
This is all about content. Streaming, cable networks, need content. The fact you can deliver games every day for 6-9 months is worth it when they can up subscription fees and ad revenue.
The money makes no sense from a tv ratings standpoint but that is not a significant factor.

Reactions: JDHoss and Fox2monk
I don’t watch it much but the TNT crew is by far the best and most entertaining. Charles even said they approached him to stay on a different network but he’s done. It was TNT or nothing.
This stinks for Ernie. That show really developed. I rememeber when Charles used to treat Ernie like a nobody but after Ernie's health stuff he not only stopped doing that, he won't let anybody else mess with Ernie. Petty cool.

Reactions: Fox2monk
yeah, double thumbs down with no TNT.
The Office Thumbs Down GIF

This stinks for Ernie. That show really developed. I rememeber when Charles used to treat Ernie like a nobody but after Ernie's health stuff he not only stopped doing that, he won't let anybody else mess with Ernie. Petty cool.
I know, I miss Craig Sager too. Sucks he died from Cacer or whatever. I remember him on the Jimmy V broadcast giving a speech that was good.

If some of our former players started donating money back to UK's NIL funds, then our program would be in great shape on the chase of that $76 billion. We might even be able to easily cover that speculative $2.5m that AJ Dybantsa is seeking to help him on his journey toward $100m/year, which is where these salaries are headed.

I haven't heard of any of our former guys who are making the big bucks now making any major gift back to the program though. Creating an alumni base that wants to donate back is the hope of every university these days, even more so than actually educating students.

Last edited:
I miss TNT already. I’m not a big fan of the NBA but TNT is the best version of the NBA.
I don’t keep up with no NBA crap but I was reading the article about the new deal. The article said that TNT would have something like 5 days to match one of the deals on the table. I guess they are giving them a shot at least coming back if they pony up!

Reactions: NociHTTP
I don’t keep up with no NBA crap but I was reading the article about the new deal. The article said that TNT would have something like 5 days to match one of the deals on the table. I guess they are giving them a shot at least coming back if they pony up!

I know a little bit about this actually but if you think Zaslav is going to put an offer to exceed Amazon’s deal i think you’ll be disappointed.

His whole mandate has been to gut the company as much as possible and bring down debt.

If some of our former players started donating money back to UK's NIL funds, then our program would be in great shape on the chase of that $76 billion. We might even be able to easily cover that speculative $2.5m that AJ Dybantsa is seeking to help him on his journey toward $100m/year, which is where these salaries are headed.

I haven't heard of any of our former guys who are making the big bucks now making any major gift back to the program though. Creating an alumni base that wants donate back is the hope of every university these days, even more so than actually educating students.

We’re just now seeing the first wave of Cals big money guys exiting their basketball careers. Wall is reestablishing a connection with UK, cousins might get more active as well. The next few year should see more and more coming back into the fold. I expect they’ll hold at least some fondness for UK - Cal isn’t here but at the end of they day, their college experience was HERE.

I don’t see active players paying into NIL as much, because why fund the guy vying for your roster spot. But once we start seeing a wave or retirements, I bet we’ll see more come on board.

I don’t see active players paying into NIL as much, because why fund the guy vying for your roster spot. But once we start seeing a wave or retirements, I bet we’ll see more come on board.
That's a fair perspective; but even if they don't want to fund it for that reasoning, then somebody somewhere else will. And then the younger player will still come for that roster spot except being connected with a Rival school like Duke.

That's a fair perspective; but even if they don't want to fund it for that reasoning, then somebody somewhere else will. And then the younger player will still come for that roster spot except being connected with a Rival school like Duke.
But someone currently playing in the NBA isn't going to care about where the guy wanting his spot is coming from. People are just going to protect their money. My concern is will these former players act similarly to how Kyle Wiltjer did, or will their first reaction be to rep their alma mater UK?

But someone currently playing in the NBA isn't going to care about where the guy wanting his spot is coming from. People are just going to protect their money. My concern is will these former players act similarly to how Kyle Wiltjer did, or will their first reaction be to rep their alma mater UK?
These players are dead to you when they leave, my concern is they will act similarly to you.

Same here. When they leave here, they're dead to me.

It does continue to amaze me the amount of money in the NBA as a whole. I am clearly in the minority, but I find NBA basketball to be boring and mundane. Literally never watch it.

Games get pirated. How do you think I watch them with no cable? I'm saying the NBA just paid 76B. Just for people to watch them on a stream somewhere.

You’ve got it backwards. The NBA didn’t pay anything. They got paid. And it’ll be well worth it to NBC. The games popularity globally is an all time high. This will look like a steal in 5 years.

It does continue to amaze me the amount of money in the NBA as a whole. I am clearly in the minority, but I find NBA basketball to be boring and mundane. Literally never watch it.

Man, the college game is like watching paint dry nowadays. I only watch UK games and only because I have a rooting interest. I can turn on any NBA game and be entertained.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT