ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts after some sleep and a few hours of work

AGEE11

Junior
Jan 10, 2014
Point 1 - Cal got absolutely outcoached by Izzo.

I was on a group call with my family (brother in law is MSU grad so it was fun). We were up 4 with 2 to go in regulation and I said we'd lose then. We ran that stupidity where Wheeler wastes five seconds dribbling, passes to one wing who dribbles to the top of the key and gives to other wing who dribbles right then kicks back to Wheeler who ran through the paint for some odd reason. We have 7- seconds to try a play and we turn it over (reviewed call on Toppin hitting it out). I knew then Cal was stalling out. Why??

Out of bounds under the basket, Cal always plays man ad always switches since he's been here. Izzo drew it up perfect

OT I think, we got into that our only game plan is to post Oscar every time down the court. 22 jumps the obvious pass.

Point 2 - How do you have a 20ppg scorer (Reeves) and hardly play him especially at the end

Point 3 - Refs deserve to be fired over Oscar, his last 3 calls were complete jokes. Especially calling a moving screen when 22 hadn't been set all night and set a much more blatant one the VERY NEXT PLAY. I read the Tim Donaghy book and he said this is a way to tell refs are financially invested. Get tick-tack fouls on a star in a very physical game.

Point 4 - Collins shouldn't have played, he was lost and understandably so. Cal sat him for most of half 2, but he hurt us bad on D. Think he gave up 4 of Doogie Howsers 3s by being out of place.

Point 5 - Should probably higher, but why go to Lance Ware over Ugonna??? What has he proved? NOTHING. The lobs do not happen on Ugonna in OT 2

Point 6 - We have to have more offense than just give the ball to Oscar in the post.

TLDR - yep, I'm still ticked

I'm an optomist and we will still be ok in the long run, but it felt like we were 10-15 points better than MSU

EDIT: Bonus Point - practice FREE THROWS!!!!!!! Going 1-2 on 3 straight possessions cost us the game as much as anything else.

Double Bonus - why do we set screens for our shooters running sideline to sideline in the paint where the defense has plenty of time to catch up? Doogie Howser had screens set where he turned and shot, why can't we do that?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT