ADVERTISEMENT

My primary concern with Mark Pope

Blueworld_3.0

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2008
Is not the X's and O's or the system he will run. It's his ability to get at least a few elite level players. I think we've seen you can win with far less talent that we've had the last 5-7 years if the coach is sharp and employs a successful system.
One would think the name "Kentucky" alone should make it easier to get at least a top 10 class, right?
The reason I say all of this is that when you look around college basketball, most championship teams have at minimum two or three very high level players surrounded by role players. Usually weighted toward older guys with experience and physical maturity. Especially at the guard spots.
Of course I want Mark Pope to succeed. Heck, I wanted Calipari to succeed. Same for BCG, OTS and all that came before. I'm just not sure Pope can win big with guys that just want to play for UK. That's great and a welcome change but, you have to have some talent. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Fans have got to stop thinking about high school recruiting the way we have been the past 15 years. The game has drastically changed and the portal and guys that fit your system is where you cut your teeth. It’s going to be a hard habit to drop, but having high ranked recruiting classes is just not where it’s at anymore.

That is or has to be mostly marketing to soothe fans.

Even the ones that dreamed of playing for Kentucky as long as they can remember want to play in the NBA too and even for the ones where that is a pipe dream the name on the front of the jersey isn't the only factor.

The need to have a NIL warchest alone should make that a 'no duh' scenario if life hasn't made it clear already.

Folks are flat delusional if they don't think players came to Kentucky to play for Rupp, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, and Tubby too and they are just nutts if some aren't going to be choosing us for the bag and for Pope with time or even now (see anyone coming from BYU).

Is not the X's and O's or the system he will run. It's his ability to get at least a few elite level players. I think we've seen you can win with far less talent that we've had the last 5-7 years if the coach is sharp and employs a successful system.
One would think the name "Kentucky" alone should make it easier to get at least a top 10 class, right?
The reason I say all of this is that when you look around college basketball, most championship teams have at minimum two or three very high level players surrounded by role players. Usually weighted toward older guys with experience and physical maturity. Especially at the guard spots.
Of course I want Mark Pope to succeed. Heck, I wanted Calipari to succeed. Same for BCG, OTS and all that came before. I'm just not sure Pope can win big with guys that just want to play for UK. That's great and a welcome change but, you have to have some talent. I remain cautiously optimistic.
The name “Kentucky” means nothing to high school recruits

We’d be in a bad spot if we made this hire pre-NIL and pre-transfer portal because I agree, I’m not confident an unproven coach like Pope could reel in the talent needed. Luckily, we aren’t in that spot and Pope has enough NIL and program benefits to offer to some top transfers (with some HS talent mixed in) that I think the roster will be championship quality sooner rather than later

Reactions: chroix
Fans have got to stop thinking about high school recruiting the way we have been the past 15 years. The game has drastically changed and the portal and guys that fit your system is where you cut your teeth. It’s going to be a hard habit to drop, but having high ranked recruiting classes is just not where it’s at anymore.
Exactly

Reactions: NociHTTP
Also...

No, there is no reason to think just Kentucky defaults you to a top 10 class.

Probably the top 10 players in Kentucky but no promises, especially over time and clock is an issue.

I'm just saying Pope is going to have to have some talent on his roster. 12 role players aren't going to get it done. And he'll have to recruit at a level he's never been able to before. Yes, BYU was very limiting in who he could recruit and I don't even know if they had a NIL program. Maybe that's why he mentioned a General Manager/NIL Coordinator during his presser on Sunday?
His first team is going to almost totally made up of portal guys. Which means he'll have a full year to make in roads with a few elite high school players. Being patient with this transition of systems, styles and roster building is going to be a challenge.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
It meant something to Sheppard.
How many of them do you think are available at any given time?

Even if we can clone him, we still need other positions.

Even schools in Texas, Florida, New York, Georgia, and California don't just depend on fishing in the local pond.

We are decades past this delusion, even Joe B cast his nets around.

The talent is improving but it is hard to see our way back to the 40's and 50's.

Heres the secret.... you don't need multiple 5 stars to be successful.

You need a program built of 3-4 star players with a 5 star sprinkled in perhaps in the lower tier 5 star. These players through 2-3 years emerge as serious contenders.
I think (and hope) that is the system Pope employs at UK. We've needed roster stability for a long time.

Reactions: CatsDomain
UCONN has had 1 top 25 recruit in the past 5 years

The portal and hopefully returning some guys will be our bread and butter but I was looking at the top 100 recruits on ESPN and there's still 8 or so not committed not counting all ours that left. Some pretty far down but one guys from Utah. I wonder if Pooe can grab any for the future.

I hope Pope can replicate what Nate Oats did at Bama. Pretty sure he had to build his entire roster from scratch after losing nearly everyone from last year's team. Don't think we are looking at that every year with Pope but, maybe the '24-'25 team.

A 5 star may be better in the long run in his career with his ceiling, but pull a kid out of the Portal who's been playing college for 3 years and is stronger amd has played at this level and he will be better right now

Exactly my concern too.

He is clearly a sharp guy. No doubt. He will be dedicated. No doubt.

But can he attract enough top flight talent?

Honest question I don’t know the answer to: has he coached any future NBA players as a head coach?

Relatedly, I worry that he has developed a system geared toward not having top end talent. Will he be flexible enough to adapt it to top talent? But, my main worry is attracting the top guys. Think that’s about the coach more than the program these days.

Valid thing to wonder about.

But I hope everyone understands next years class, well 95% of it, was already committed when he took over as coach. So whether he does or doesn’t get any of the few that are left won’t show one way or the other if he can recruit a few top players.

I’m not worried about the recruiting. Coach pope has an awesome personality and the boosters have provided him with a pretty big budget to go out and get guys. Combine all that with the uk brand and I don’t see any reason he should struggle to have the kind of roster he wants to put out there.

BYU was considered the 14th ranked for next season, so Mark knows what to do to make it happen. By the way, what have we done recently with elite level talent?

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Getting the right guys (as Pope himself has said) will solve a lot of problems. But, right now we essentially have no roster and it's late in the game. I'm not expecting a lot next season. But, I also would like to be surprised.

I am the guy who thought Hubert Davis would be a massive disaster at UNCheat. So, what do i know?

BTW, a secondary concern is defense, or lack thereof that Pope's BYU teams have had a problem with. But< I think he'll get that figured out too. If not, I feel like he would be proactive and humble enough to hire a defensive guru to help.
Unlike another guy I know.

Heres the secret.... you don't need multiple 5 stars to be successful.

You need a program built of 3-4 star players with a 5 star sprinkled in perhaps in the lower tier 5 star. These players through 2-3 years emerge as serious contenders.
Agreed on four stars. Guys in the 30-80 range are all over championship rosters. But the only time we should take a three star is after he's been punching above his weight at another university for a couple years.

Getting the right guys (as Pope himself has said) will solve a lot of problems. But, right now we essentially have no roster and it's late in the game. I'm not expecting a lot next season. But, I also would like to be surprised.

I am the guy who though Hubert Davis would be a massive disaster at UNCheat. So, what do i know?

BTW, a secondary concern is defense, or lack thereof that Pope's BYU teams have had a problem with. But< I think he'll get that figured out too. If not, I feel like he would be proactive and humble enough to hire a defensive guru to help.
Unlike another guy I know.
Were you equally worried about our previous lack of defense or were you too excited by names with 5-stars to notice?

• Haha
Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Agreed on four stars. Guys in the 30-80 range are all over championship rosters. But the only time we should take a three star is after he's been punching above his weight at another university for a couple years.
As a reference, regards high school recruits, since 2009 began with Cal … only four (4) 3-stars were signed:
Hawkins
Willis
Thiero
Hart.
2002 thru 2008, eighteen (18) 3-stars (or 2-stars) were signed.
The answer will be regularly signing portal players now, it seems to me. But, there will still be turnover every season … just not going to NBA after Freshman year. There will be lots of roster changes annually … they can be fixed with Nil$$$ here like elsewhere.

Exactly my concern too.

He is clearly a sharp guy. No doubt. He will be dedicated. No doubt.

But can he attract enough top flight talent?

Honest question I don’t know the answer to: has he coached any future NBA players as a head coach?
The last 2 Final Fours since the transfer portal and NIL have become paramount to success:

UConn signed exactly 1 five star recruit over the 5 classes prior to this year.

Purdue signed exactly 0 five star recruits over the 5 classes prior to this year.

Alabama signed exactly 2 five star recruits over the 5 classes prior to this year.

NC State signed exactly 0 five star recruits over the 5 classes prior to this year

San Diego State signed exactly 0 five star recruits over the 5 classes prior to last year

FAU signed exactly 0 five star recruits over the 5 classes prior to last year

Miami signed exactly 0 five star recruits over the 5 classes prior to last year

7 teams in the Final Four over the past 2 seasons….3 five star players on those 7 teams.

He and a strong NIL will attract big time portal guys. He will most likely land a high level recruit here and there that fits into his system. He will most likely fill the remainder of the roster with 4 star guys. It’s the perfect recipe for success in today’s game.

Reactions: otis-gip
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT