ADVERTISEMENT

My experience in business

mbc82584

Junior
Jun 11, 2006
Offer too much money guaranteed and you get a lazy person.

Offer max incentive to a hungry person to succeed and you get max result.

All the people say throw money at the problem are mistaken. You want someone who wants to come here and win, and will take less up front to get the money when they hit the spot.

As far as I can tell Bruce Pearl is the answer for us in this spot, but maybe there’s others. Who do y’all think?

This is the very reason I am strangely at peace with the prospect of Pope. Bruce Pearl is 64 years old. He’s still fiery, but how much is left in the tank? And his teams routinely lack discipline.

Get someone young and hungry. Pope or Golden. Incentivize them like you said. They’ll sink or swim. Eventually, we’ll strike gold like UConn did. But this always trying to hire a proven commodity isn’t necessarily the way to go IMO. Even if we had gotten Hurley, how hungry can the guy really be after back to back titles? We need a man who is eager to prove himself on the big stage.

This is the very reason I am strangely at peace with the prospect of Pope. Bruce Pearl is 64 years old. He’s still fiery, but how much is left in the tank? And his teams routinely lack discipline.

Get someone young and hungry. Pope or Golden. Incentivize them like you said. They’ll sink or swim. Eventually, we’ll strike gold like UConn did. But this always trying to hire a proven commodity isn’t necessarily the way to go IMO. Even if we had gotten Hurley, how hungry can the guy really be after back to back titles? We need a man who is eager to prove himself on the big stage.

Agree 100% with this. I’d add Lloyd to that same category as well.

Reactions: Wonky and NociHTTP

Pope would put together a hungry staff as well. Glad some people here aren't afraid to speak their mind and get behind Pope to counter the arrogant clowns that "can't be bothered" with Pope.

Don’t really work that way in coaching. It’s an anamoly. However, a coach should never go more than a decade without a title or he needs gone. Doesn’t really matter where, but especially here.

Lifetime contracts should never be considered by anyone

All the people say throw money at the problem are mistaken. You want someone who wants to come here and win, and will take less up front to get the money when they hit the spot.

As far as I can tell Bruce Pearl is the answer for us in this spot, but maybe there’s others. Who do y’all think?
I dunno. Patrick Mahomes keeps rocking on a max.

My man Maxx Crosby is somehow playing even harder since his extension.

James won a few titles after getting his max deals.

I totally get where you're coming from but there are no magic bullets and you cannot thumb your nose at the scale of economy and the offers the competition offers.

Don’t really work that way in coaching. It’s an anamoly. However, a coach should never go more than a decade without a title or he needs gone. Doesn’t really matter where, but especially here.

Lifetime contracts should never be considered by anyone
I'm getting soft so I'm more on the camp of a Final Four in that span.

I'm oddly at peace with Mark Pope and I don't know why. If it goes that direction, so be it. I think maybe it is the huffing I was doing earlier today, but maybe not.

P.S....totally joking...for some reason I feel the same way. Maybe it is because he loves UK. No, he isn't proven but he has a deep love for the University of Kentucky AND he does have high level experience and has performed well. The simple fact is some of this is a total crap shoot...Dan Hurley was 151-105 when he took over UConn.

Would we hire Pope if he wasn't affiliated with UK, probably not...but he was and that may matter.

Reactions: Wonky

I like your thoughts, but, Pearl is not leving AU. I have a friend who is a booster at AU and he says Pearl will stay at AU because he wants AU to hire his son as HC when he retires.

I'm oddly at peace with Mark Pope and I don't know why. If it goes that direction, so be it. I think maybe it is the huffing I was doing earlier today, but maybe not.

P.S....totally joking...for some reason I feel the same way. Maybe it is because he loves UK. No, he isn't proven but he has a deep love for the University of Kentucky AND he does have high level experience and has performed well. The simple fact is some of this is a total crap shoot...Dan Hurley was 151-105 when he took over UConn.

Would we hire Pope if he wasn't affiliated with UK, probably not...but he was and that may matter.
I say give Pope 1million raise and put some incentives in his contract. Give him a 3 year contract and let's see what he can accomplish. I really like the idea of hiring someone who would put UK first. Who is to say Pope would not be a success.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I say give Pope 1million raise and put some incentives in his contract. Give him a 3 year contract and let's see what he can accomplish. I really like the idea of hiring someone who would put UK first. Who is to say Pope would not be a success.

As long as you dump the money in NIL

Reactions: KYCAT78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT