ADVERTISEMENT

My frustration can’t take anymore.

I’ve never seen a more heartbreaking game than that SB. Man that one had to hurt.
I’m in a group chat with about 10 other guys . Me and another falcons fans still get teased about that night . Screenshots from us talking junk to the chat as we headed to the 4th quarter .

Eveyone talks about that but we also blew a 21-3 halftime lead at home against San Francisco the year before that in the NFC Championship game .

what’s the question?

Do we care about winning anymore or is this just something to do and as long as teenage Zions get some starter cash in college we don’t give a sht.

Because sports are barely recognizable anymore and I don’t want to waste my time if I’m gonna be looked at like an asshole for looking at scoreboards and wondering about seeding.

There’s just an absurd amount of money involved in sports, it’s never going to go back to any old way. With NIL, we’re seeing everything out in the open as opposed to back door dealings for college athletes. Hell, we got some hs kids getting top dollar now.

I don’t follow pro sports, a very casual viewer of them. All the various lock outs turned me off as a kid. I’m pretty sure if I didn’t have a life long connection to UK, I wouldn’t follow college sports either. But I love the Cats, so here I am with all the other crazies!

Analytics suck and these “young” NFL coaches do too. Case in point, yesterday in the Chargers-Browns game, both teams were deep inside opponents territory facing a 4th and 1. Instead of punting the ball which common sense tells you to do , both head coaches went with the “analytics” and went for it amd both failed miserably giving the other team the ball with great field position.

In the Chargers case, they literally gave the ball to the Browns in FG position and the rookie kicker missed the FG that would have won the game with the clock running out.

Reactions: Gromcat
Do we care about winning anymore or is this just something to do and as long as teenage Zions get some starter cash in college we don’t give a sht.

Because sports are barely recognizable anymore and I don’t want to waste my time if I’m gonna be looked at like an asshole for looking at scoreboards and wondering about seeding.
let’s say i do. you say you don’t. how can “we” be judged? maybe a poll and the simple question would have gotten clearer results.

I don’t understand why Zion is being used as an example of taking advantage of the system/not caring about winning or losing/maximizing NIL.

Yes I know the rumors about the house his family lived in in Durham, there is no doubt in my mind that Zions family was paid to play basketball at Duke. However, Zion is the reason Zion got the massive shoe contract. That kid played so hard in college, he was heartbroken not to win the tournament (can’t say that about many college stars anymore) he even came back after a foot injury when he already had the #1 pick locked up.

There are many star basketball players from many schools (UK Duke included) who use the 1 year of college as strictly a marketing tool, which isn’t fair at all to the fans and has definitely led to the decrease in college basketball popularity. However it wasn’t Zion.

Reactions: RunninRichie
So this analytical crap in baseball has killed the sport. I’m so disgusted I’ve never seen such nonsense in my life. Allowing playoff games to be lost simply because you HAVE TO GO with stupid analytics regardless of outcome is driving everyone away.

Then losing the football season to help a quarterbacks draft stock.

Teams like Tennessee football that can’t find their dick for over a decade suddenly burst on the scene because of NIL and collective payouts.

Shady Sharpe being allowed to use and abuse this program.

Sports are dying from multiple angles and I can’t get back to 1995. The worst part? Fans that love sports have contributed to the demise. Falling for the nonsense that the grievance lobby fed them.

So, are we gonna ****ing play this year and does anyone care if we win? Or should I just stick to preschool baseball where little kids are smart enough to care about the damn scoreboard? Look at where we are. It’s awful, and getting worse.

Seriously does anyone care at all if we win or lose? Or is this now just a fixed event for gamblers and something to tell our kids about?

Ya know we like to blame the NCAA for everything, but we are in large part the reason they won’t protect the sport or enforce the rules. We clipped their nuts and wonder why they can’t produce. Are we more worried about the sport- the program, or are we more concerned with Zion making 10 million before his 100 million dollar contract? Someone tell me?

I’m so pissed off. Bash me if you must, just know I don’t give a damn.
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

Cal isn’t going to stop it, we know that much. And Mitch has no Oompa Loompas to do anything about it. College sports died a while back. I’ve accepted it. I don’t live and die with every game like I once did. I’ll watch for entertainment.
This.

Do I care if we win? For sure! Do I care if we lose? Absolutely!

Will it affect my life more than a day? No. And it shouldn’t. Life is bigger than that. UK sports are a part of my life. Granted a big part. But still just a part. It’s not my whole life. It’s something I enjoy from August to April. And then suffer through the summer.

But this yearning for the return to the 90s while understandable is not good in the long run. We have to move forward in life, even if that means going through crap. Sure, we can try to bring some of the good stuff with us and should. But turning around is not an option.

We just have to enjoy what we have in the moment. When we win celebrate. When we lose commiserate. But you can’t let it permeate your other aspects of life.

The Cards loss really hurt ya didn’t it lol. Sorry man, I’m a Braves fan. I’ve had so many years of pain with great teams. I’m just hopeful this nucleus keeps it up and wins another WS in the next few years. I agree that analytics suck and they are starting to realize it a bit with limiting shifts coming up I believe. Pitchers being aces and only going 4 1/3 is what really hurts my soul. That was a warm up for Maddux, Johnson, Martinez, Wainwright(back in his prime), Glavine, Smoltz, Schilling. You couldn’t pull those guys off the mound if they were on.
Infield fly. I’ll never be so disgruntled. That was an absolute jobbing.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I hate analytics. Let’s try to take the human factor out of sports as much as possible. What could go wrong?

My own conspiracy theory: computers cost us the title in 2015.

The top four teams that year without a doubt were UK, Wisconsin, Duke, and Zona.

The computers said Nova was better than Wisconsin, Duke, and Zona, so Nova gets a 1 seed and Zona a 2 seed. Should have been the other way around. Zona should have been the 1 in the West and Nova should have been the 2.

So it should have been UK vs. Zona in the first game of the Final Four. The other game should have been Wisconsin vs. Duke. UK beats Zona and sits back and watches Wisconsin and Duke beat up on each other. UK beats an exhausted Wisconsin-Duke winner and finishes 40-0 with #9 in hand.

Anyone who watched the season unfold could have told you Nova was not in the same league as the other 4. But the computers said they were and you can’t argue with computer data. LOL!

Pro tip. You can never go back to the good old days. Pining for that is an exercise in futility.

Adapt and adjust is all you can do.

Examples of things from the good ole days that I want back but aren’t coming back:
Lottery picks staying in school 3-4 years
Baseball without shifts
Football where defenses can play defense without getting flagged
Mid range jumpers

Pro tip. You can never go back to the good old days. Pining for that is an exercise in futility.

Adapt and adjust is all you can do.

Examples of things from the good ole days that I want back but aren’t coming back:
Lottery picks staying in school 3-4 years
Baseball without shifts
Football where defenses can play defense without getting flagged
Mid range jumpers

Wait. I thought they were doing away with the shift.

Infield fly. I’ll never be so disgruntled. That was an absolute jobbing.
Sidenote on that call. The umpire who made that call was Sam Holbrook from Morehead, Ky. He was a bat boy on my American Legion baseball team. I think he went on to play baseball at EKU. He also was the ump who ejected Mark McGwire for arguing balls and strikes during the chase for the home run record in 1998. It was late in the season and McGwire hadn't yet broke the record but Sammy rung him up anyway. McGwire said after the game that he deserved to be ejected.

So this analytical crap in baseball has killed the sport. I’m so disgusted I’ve never seen such nonsense in my life. Allowing playoff games to be lost simply because you HAVE TO GO with stupid analytics regardless of outcome is driving everyone away.

Teams like Tennessee football that can’t find their dick for over a decade suddenly burst on the scene because of NIL and collective payouts.

Sports are dying from multiple angles and I can’t get back to 1995. The worst part? Fans that love sports have contributed to the demise. Falling for the nonsense that the grievance lobby fed them.

So, are we gonna ****ing play this year and does anyone care if we win? Or should I just stick to preschool baseball where little kids are smart enough to care about the damn scoreboard? Look at where we are. It’s awful, and getting worse.

Seriously does anyone care at all if we win or lose? Or is this now just a fixed event for gamblers and something to tell our kids about?

Ya know we like to blame the NCAA for everything, but we are in large part the reason they won’t protect the sport or enforce the rules. We clipped their nuts and wonder why they can’t produce. Are we more worried about the sport- the program, or are we more concerned with Zion making 10 million before his 100 million dollar contract? Someone tell me?

I used to love baseball. There was strategy. Hit and run, moving the man over, base stealing, bunting. Now it's swing for the fences in every situation. Hit a home or strike out. All that is important is launch angle. Bunting is a lost art. I don't think it's taught anymore. Most of the attempts I saw this year were pathetic and rarely worked. On the pitching side if a starter goes 5 or 6 innings he is considered top of the line. As for the relievers all that is required is throwing 100 MPH. Throwing strikes is optional. And they have had to outlaw the shift because hitters could not be taught to go the other way.

ZXIuanBn

Reactions: dakid_0812

Yeah your Cardinals blew it and over thought the situation. Not allowing Wainwright and Flairity to pitch because they wanted to set a rotation for a series they are now not playing in is ridiculous. Giving up that many runs in 9th and then second game making horrible pitch decisions will haunt them all winter.

Reactions: Gromcat
This.

Do I care if we win? For sure! Do I care if we lose? Absolutely!

Will it affect my life more than a day? No. And it shouldn’t. Life is bigger than that. UK sports are a part of my life. Granted a big part. But still just a part. It’s not my whole life. It’s something I enjoy from August to April. And then suffer through the summer.

But this yearning for the return to the 90s while understandable is not good in the long run. We have to move forward in life, even if that means going through crap. Sure, we can try to bring some of the good stuff with us and should. But turning around is not an option.

We just have to enjoy what we have in the moment. When we win celebrate. When we lose commiserate. But you can’t let it permeate your other aspects of life.
Well said my friend, it's fun all season luv winning and we watch with friends and family and cheer like kids. GameDay menus and shots after a touchdown is how we do it around my bar. It's just a game but we all know that it's way better when u win.

Reactions: bbncal02
Well said my friend, it's fun all season luv winning and we watch with friends and family and cheer like kids. GameDay menus and shots after a touchdown is how we do it around my bar. It's just a game but we all know that it's way better when u win.
U haz bar? Sounds like fun.

Wait. I thought they were doing away with the shift.

They are. Gone next year I believe. Pitchers also moving to a pitch clock IIRC. Believe there is also a change to how many times you can throw to first base. They are doing some stuff that is needed tbh.

It is all relative. Change is part of life. I care about winning as much now as I did when I was a grasshopper 25 years ago, just have priorities now and sports have their own place.

I've had it with last second FG's to beat the Bengals though...

You have proved many times you don't give a damn. What's next?

I hate analytics. Let’s try to take the human factor out of sports as much as possible. What could go wrong?

The top four teams that year without a doubt were UK, Wisconsin, Duke, and Zona.

The computers said Nova was better than Wisconsin, Duke, and Zona, so Nova gets a 1 seed and Zona a 2 seed. Should have been the other way around. Zona should have been the 1 in the West and Nova should have been the 2.

So it should have been UK vs. Zona in the first game of the Final Four. The other game should have been Wisconsin vs. Duke. UK beats Zona and sits back and watches Wisconsin and Duke beat up on each other. UK beats an exhausted Wisconsin-Duke winner and finishes 40-0 with #9 in hand.

Anyone who watched the season unfold could have told you Nova was not in the same league as the other 4. But the computers said they were and you can’t argue with computer data. LOL!

My opinion on analytics on sports especially baseball.

Management top to bottom has convinced ownership that the math works to stick to analytics. If you’re going to use the math you have to do it every time to play the probability game. So what does this mean?

There’s no need to fire anyone who finishes top 15 in baseball. It’s not the coaches or the GM’s / presidents fault. The math probability just didn’t work out that time. They went by the math like they were supposed to. The player just didn’t play to the numbers.

I think it’s a sham to protect management’s jobs. Because it clearly doesn’t make sense to do it.

There’s just an absurd amount of money involved in sports, it’s never going to go back to any old way. With NIL, we’re seeing everything out in the open as opposed to back door dealings for college athletes. Hell, we got some hs kids getting top dollar now.

I don’t follow pro sports, a very casual viewer of them. All the various lock outs turned me off as a kid. I’m pretty sure if I didn’t have a life long connection to UK, I wouldn’t follow college sports either. But I love the Cats, so here I am with all the other crazies!
That sums me up perfectly.

I feel so sorry for you. I think you need medication.

Naw his team just done some of the worst management of a opening series in MLB history. He's pissed and all St Louis fans should have been. Wainwright will definitely leave and rightfully so.. Things like that make u wanna give up on sports, then u take what happened to UK Saturday and he's not happy with his sports and I understand completely.

Nothing personal, but I doubt most care about what you think.
You're like the little teapot that needs to blow off steam and it's all good.
You'll regroup and put life in perspective and sports will seem trivial once you compare it to life in general.
If you're healthy, your family is good, your bills are paid and you have a roof above your head you are blessed.

Reactions: kl40504

What does me potentially needing medication have to do with a theory of analytics that actually makes sense and has an element of reason?

I think what you need to do is quit creating user names and find out why your weirdness permeates into everything you do, including diagnosing without a license to do so, when it’s not necessary, and always having issues with people - which is a sign of narcissism. And I would know, I actually can diagnose.

Cardinals collapse, Yadi goes out in a whimper. Suddenly, analytics has killed the sport

gotta love Cardinals fans
Hard to tell if Yadi was sad or happy. That tooth of his always looks like he is smiling.
Love how roid holes magically didn't have foot problems like he did before returning to STL.

Ultimately it was HUMANS that made the decision. There's a committee. Yeah sure they look at numbers but ultimately the whole seeding in college basketball was done by humans.

Reactions: chroix
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT