ADVERTISEMENT

Murray prediction

More visits, but still time to go here. Doesn't sound like his reclassifying has been completed.

Currently ranked in 2016 by DraftExpress at #21, so there's a bunch of room for improvement.
He's not Exum, yet.

Reactions: brianpoe
I'm starting to get a Dante Exum vibe from Murray. Had a great hoop summit and hid away until the draft. Players are starting to get on campus and he's still planning on making more visits? He'll be behind wherever he goes and less chance to make huge impact immediately. His stock might be as high as it will ever get and he can answer doubts about his competitiveness with being rushed to reclassify and guard heavy teams recruiting him as reasons why he went to prep school. That would be my thinking if I was a 'handler'. If he is really looking to go to school this year, I think we are the team to beat.

Dante Exum was a million times the prospect Murray is! Some calling him the next Kobe Bryant....

The reclassification makes UK favorite. ..he wasn't even thinking 2015 until UK came calling....food for thought

That's false. He was considering reclassing before he blew up at the Hoops Summit. I saw an article where he mentioned about 5-6 schools with Oregon the top dog in reference to where he would end up if he did in fact decide to go that route. That article was from January. He's old for his grade already being 18. So that's where all the stuff got steam since he could technically stay in high school this season and turn pro because he doesn't have the American requirement.

Dante Exum was a million times the prospect Murray is! Some calling him the next Kobe Bryant....

That's kind of what I'm saying. Exum was considered a really good athlete with good size coming out of high school, visited schools and told everybody he was planning to go to college. I don't think Murray can get to an Exum level of NBA hype because he will never be that type of athlete, but he's already considered a near lotto pick. He could come in and be Devin Booker, but he also could come in late and have an Andrew Harrison kind of season. Where he played good, but it becomes obvious what his weaknesses are (struggles to stay in front of quicker PGs, doesn't finish in the lane well). Or he could dominate a bunch of high school kids and be good with guaranteed money in a weak draft where a lot of the top picks will become Rashad Vaughns and fall while Murray would stay consistent and likely only rise. You think NBA teams are going to like the 32% on 25 shots Malik Newman shoots next year? Lots of complex issues at play and why I never fault a player or family for the choices they make.

Reactions: kyups01
This is crazy thinking.

1 - Murray doesn't love attention at all, probably the opposite. He keeps everything super close to the vest and rarely does interviews, didn't have a twitter until someone made a fake account using his name, etc.

2 - He is not dragging it out...he is still not reclassified so no decision until that happens. These things take time. Also, his recruitment totally changed after the NHS so he didn't have his ducks (jk) in a row and is behind.

If anything, you're acting like a drama queen with your "I want you, fine I hate you" attitude.

Not being a drama queen about anything, just stated a FACT - I'm effing tired of his recruitment already. Whether you like that or not is your own business and won't affect my feelings on the matter whatsoever, and if you don't think he likes the attention, then you haven't been paying attention. Not having a "I want you/I Hate you" attitude, I just want the kid to be straight with people. If he's going to try and reclassify, then frigging say it, don't dance around it this long. If he is truly trying to reclassify then he has to know that by now. Surely they are at the end of the school year up in Canada (or close). Whether he plans on picking UK or Oregon is immaterial at this point because he's still acting like he may or may not reclassify. This is the kind of crap you hear about in February/March, not in mid-June! He's not saying whether he is going to reclassify or not to keep the mystery going, i.e. he likes the attention. If he says he's reclassifying, then it is pretty much a statement that he's not likely going to Oregon (I think they are at their scholly limit right now). He wants to keep everyone on the hook for as long as possible in my opinion.

Not being a drama queen about anything, just stated a FACT - I'm effing tired of his recruitment already. Whether you like that or not is your own business and won't affect my feelings on the matter whatsoever, and if you don't think he likes the attention, then you haven't been paying attention. Not having a "I want you/I Hate you" attitude, I just want the kid to be straight with people. If he's going to try and reclassify, then frigging say it, don't dance around it this long. If he is truly trying to reclassify then he has to know that by now. Surely they are at the end of the school year up in Canada (or close). Whether he plans on picking UK or Oregon is immaterial at this point because he's still acting like he may or may not reclassify. This is the kind of crap you hear about in February/March, not in mid-June! He's not saying whether he is going to reclassify or not to keep the mystery going, i.e. he likes the attention. If he says he's reclassifying, then it is pretty much a statement that he's not likely going to Oregon (I think they are at their scholly limit right now). He wants to keep everyone on the hook for as long as possible in my opinion.
He's obviously trying to reclassify but he wants to make sure everything works out before he tells the world "yep, I'm reclassifying". Did you ever think that perhaps the notion of reclassifying just came to him later than it did to other people? And he doesn't want to announce for a school yet because if he is not able to reclassify he probably just wants to go pro. Sorry if you're emotional instability gets in the way of his life plans.

Reactions: anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
Dumb post. Kid never had any intention on reclassifying until he blew up at the Nike Summitt. You don't wave a magic wand and complete your grades in order to be eligible to reclassify. You have to actually do the course work. Just because he's doing his due diligence in picking a school doesn't make him a drama queen. I commend the young man. He's doing this the smart way, not the way you want him to do it to satisfy you.

Now looking at Michigan. He might want to be the man.

Michigan's situation is no better than ours for him when it comes to being "the man." If he wants to be their main PG, they have Walton, so it's not going to happen. If he wants to be their top scorer, they have Levert and Irvin, both of whom averaged over 14ppg, so that's not going to happen .

Murray would start with those guys and get plenty of shots, and have the ball in his hands a lot, but his situation would be no better than it would at UK, IMHO.

Would thin the NBA draft occurring in a couple of weeks will help UK. Towns is likely to be the number 1 pick and all three UK freshmen will go in the first round. Folks grew really frustrated with John Wall in 2009 but he ultimately picked UK. Hopefully the same occurs here. It's a good sign to me that he's still taking visits. I would be more worried if he announced he's deciding right after visiting Oregon.

I'm starting to get a Dante Exum vibe from Murray. Had a great hoop summit and hid away until the draft. Players are starting to get on campus and he's still planning on making more visits? He'll be behind wherever he goes and less chance to make huge impact immediately. His stock might be as high as it will ever get and he can answer doubts about his competitiveness with being rushed to reclassify and guard heavy teams recruiting him as reasons why he went to prep school. That would be my thinking if I was a 'handler'. If he is really looking to go to school this year, I think we are the team to beat.

He couldn't enroll for summer school anyway. Your point in irrelevant.

Sure. But there is also the chance it drops at UK while the chance of that happening in prep school is little. He's not a center and doesn't possess elite athleticism. If he has a bad shooting month he could drop.

I'm sorry but I'm sure he is not scared that he won't play well. He could also shoot really well for 1 month and see his stock soar ala Devin Booker. Of course his stock could slip if he plays poorly but that's just the life of any player. I'm sure he isn't scared of not performing in college. If these top recruits had your attitude of being scared and just hiding for a year so that nobody sees you play, none of the top 25 players would even come to play in college. They would all just go to China or prep school to hide for a year. If Murray has that attitude, which I'm sure he does not, then he wouldn't want to come here, that's for sure. Good thing he looks like a baller and wants the rock in his hands when his team needs a bucket. That's the kind of player that I want, not someone who wants to hide for a year so nobody sees his weakness.

Sure. But there is also the chance it drops at UK while the chance of that happening in prep school is little. He's not a center and doesn't possess elite athleticism. If he has a bad shooting month he could drop.

[roll]

Booker shot poorly the entire last month of his season and he never dropped, hell he might have even risen in the mock drafts.

I think Michigan would prefer him for 2016. The "catch" is he probably reclassifies. At least that is how I interpreted it,
I agree with that.I also think Oregon would prefer him for 2016 because they are out of ships but it seems obvious now he's going to reclassify and I think that really favors us.

I'm sorry but I'm sure he is not scared that he won't play well. He could also shoot really well for 1 month and see his stock soar ala Devin Booker. Of course his stock could slip if he plays poorly but that's just the life of any player. I'm sure he isn't scared of not performing in college. If these top recruits had your attitude of being scared and just hiding for a year so that nobody sees you play, none of the top 25 players would even come to play in college. They would all just go to China or prep school to hide for a year. If Murray has that attitude, which I'm sure he does not, then he wouldn't want to come here, that's for sure. Good thing he looks like a baller and wants the rock in his hands when his team needs a bucket. That's the kind of player that I want, not someone who wants to hide for a year so nobody sees his weakness.

It's being smartly looked at as a business decision by the whole family and he seems to look to his dad for guidance in making decisions. There are about 5-6 guys in the class that he likely won't rise ahead of no matter what because they have good bodies and athleticism for the NBA game along with the skill (Skal, Simmons, etc.). So if he goes to college and can only rise to a mid lottery pick, will it be worth the risk of possibly getting his stock hit and having to go to school another year for only a bump up of a couple of draft spots? Mudiay went to China and played 11 games and his stock has soared. Exum showing promise in the league shows a kid drafted without an extensive resume working out. These are relative new developments and things kids will consider from now on. Murray's situation is unique in how he fast and far he has risen and he has built-in excuses on why he would avoid college. I don't think many would call out Murray's competitiveness if he did decide to go to prep school another year. Now if he's serious about going to college, then he probably should start making some of these visits his dad has talked about. I still think its UK but I'm hoping it doesn't get dragged on to the point where the most comfortable and logical decision would be to go back to prep school.

It's being smartly looked at as a business decision by the whole family and he seems to look to his dad for guidance in making decisions. There are about 5-6 guys in the class that he likely won't rise ahead of no matter what because they have good bodies and athleticism for the NBA game along with the skill (Skal, Simmons, etc.). So if he goes to college and can only rise to a mid lottery pick, will it be worth the risk of possibly getting his stock hit and having to go to school another year for only a bump up of a couple of draft spots? Mudiay went to China and played 11 games and his stock has soared. Exum showing promise in the league shows a kid drafted without an extensive resume working out. These are relative new developments and things kids will consider from now on. Murray's situation is unique in how he fast and far he has risen and he has built-in excuses on why he would avoid college. I don't think many would call out Murray's competitiveness if he did decide to go to prep school another year. Now if he's serious about going to college, then he probably should start making some of these visits his dad has talked about. I still think its UK but I'm hoping it doesn't get dragged on to the point where the most comfortable and logical decision would be to go back to prep school.

I don't see why you compare him to Mudiay? He has always been the number PG in his class and a built like a bull.

Exum is taller, a 6'6 point guard, who is "lightning quick" according to draft profiles.

Murray is a combo guard who has never been ranked in the Top 10 of his class and is still a 4 star with many services.

Kind of tough to tuck away and hide your weaknesses at a prep school when you have such little clout. He most likely needs to play real competition and prove he is a quality draft pick.

Reactions: Poetax
I don't see why you compare him to Mudiay? He has always been the number PG in his class and a built like a bull.

Exum is taller, a 6'6 point guard, who is "lightning quick" according to draft profiles.

Murray is a combo guard who has never been ranked in the Top 10 of his class and is still a 4 star with many services.

Kind of tough to tuck away and hide your weaknesses at a prep school when you have such little clout. He most likely needs to play real competition and prove he is a quality draft pick.

Mudiay was only brought up because China was brought up. Exum was only being recruited by mid-majors until he blew up at Hoop Summit, so Murray's HS rating have no relevance. What matters is Murray already projected to be a first round pick next year and I see a lot of the guys slotted ahead of him to fall. They have that Ukrainian kid from KU going lottery. Ellenson and Diamond Stone I'm not a big fan of as NBA prospects. Lots of room to rise by not risking it. Wouldn't look good if he came to college and struggled to guard 2s and 3s.

Mudiay was only brought up because China was brought up. Exum was only being recruited by mid-majors until he blew up at Hoop Summit, so Murray's HS rating have no relevance. What matters is Murray already projected to be a first round pick next year and I see a lot of the guys slotted ahead of him to fall. They have that Ukrainian kid from KU going lottery. Ellenson and Diamond Stone I'm not a big fan of as NBA prospects. Lots of room to rise by not risking it. Wouldn't look good if he came to college and struggled to guard 2s and 3s.

Do you think there is a chance he would struggle in college?

The difference between Murray and Mudiay and Exum is that Mudiay and Exum were projected as top picks while Murray is projected as a late 1st round pick.

If Murray stays in prep school, his stock isn't likely to improve. If his goal is to be the top overall pick, then the only way to get close to that would be to play in college and have a great season.

Now, there is nothing wrong with him shooting to be number one, though his chances of becoming the top overall pick is very slim given the competition (Labissiere, Simmons), he should still work toward that goal. Being a lottery pick is very realistic for him, if he goes to college, especially at UK given Cal's track record.

There is always a chance his stock could drop as well. So, the safe play might be to stay in prep school, but college is the higher risk but higher reward route. If he is serious about improving and moving up, then college is the gamble to make.

The difference between Murray and Mudiay and Exum is that Mudiay and Exum were projected as top picks while Murray is projected as a late 1st round pick.

If Murray stays in prep school, his stock isn't likely to improve. If his goal is to be the top overall pick, then the only way to get close to that would be to play in college and have a great season.

Now, there is nothing wrong with him shooting to be number one, though his chances of becoming the top overall pick is very slim given the competition (Labissiere, Simmons), he should still work toward that goal. Being a lottery pick is very realistic for him, if he goes to college, especially at UK given Cal's track record.

There is always a chance his stock could drop as well. So, the safe play might be to stay in prep school, but college is the higher risk but higher reward route. If he is serious about improving and moving up, then college is the gamble to make.

Good points all the way around. My view is if we message board gurus think there is a decent chance he would struggle in college, why would the NBA risk a 1st round pick?

As you stated, he needs to play college ball to be drafted lottery, again, he doesn't come with the previous accolades, and it really doesn't matter what early draft mocks say.

He is a 5 star on Rivals and Scouthoops, and ESPN doesn't rank foreign players. Other than 247, who has him as a 4 star?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT