ADVERTISEMENT

Mounjaro/Ozempic weight loss

Going to plug keto again before some of you go all-in on the pharmaceutical fix.

You could do zero exercise and lose all the weight you want on keto. But, you won't do zero exercise because when you realize how shitty your diet was and you start eating right, you start to get insane energy back to the point you want to just get up and do something.

Generally I would say if you're obese then do what it takes to become healthy again. Hopefully that isn't by way of making it harder for someone to survive - such as using a multi-purpose pill.

I haven't been on strict keto in almost 2 years now, have let my diet go back to a lot of crap again and it's still tough for me to keep weight on. Still fast a lot and even this long after the diet, it's easy.

Btw, committing to keto is hard AF and you will need to put about 6 weeks into it. If not that, then something but it's going to take a commitment and it's not going to be as simple as popping a pill.

Old PTI showing his true colors again. Being an ass and making leaps like Africans Americans are fat and Africans aren't so genetics aren't a part of it. Which is obviously nonsense. Genetics, environment and behavior all have a role in obesity. We all know people that can eat like a horse and stay rail thin. Then people, like me, that vigorously exercise 6x a week that still struggle to maintain a consistent weight. I can put on 5lbs in a week without even trying. There are 3 people I routinely workout with, all similar diets, and we all add, retain, or shed weight completely different. So if you gave Africans 50+ years of the environmental and behavioral habits that has wrecked the American diet you'd probably see similar results. The mental aspect of obesity and binge eating is also proven. You're talking similar or greater dependency than other deadly vices like drugs, cigarettes and alcohol. Screaming "you must diet and exercise!!" isn't different than "don't stick a needle in your arm" or "stop smoking 3 packs per day."

Where he's right is trusting Big Pharma and relying on them for a solution that cures obesity. What are the short/long term side effects? Personally, I'm not settling for a pharmaceutical solution to a problem I know I can change with behavior. If you're to the point you need an appetite suppressant then you probably also need to figure out a long term diet that works for you and be consulting with physical therapist or certified personal trainer to help you with a fitness routine. You'd probably be surprised how fast you can cut weight with just a few minimal changes

Not eating is a TERRIBLE diet btw. As are sub 2000 calorie diets. They're not sustainable, trust me, I've tried them all. You'll inevitably fall off the wagon and be back to square one. At 2000 with 30+ minutes of exercise per day you shouldn't have an issue maintaining or losing weight.

BTW, the research on extreme ultra endurance sports and effects on health isn't flattering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
I don't find Keto as sustainable.

AVOID THESE FOODS AT ALL COSTS. LOL. So I can have bacon and cheese for breakfast but not an apple or banana? Come on. That's dumb.

• Almost all fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, watermelon, peaches, melon, pineapple, cherries, pears, lemons, limes, grapefruits, plums, mango, and more.

My diet does restrict carbs and starches. Mainly because they are always paired with other shitty foods or deep fried. Basically unlimited fruit, veggies, and lean protein. Granted I'm intensely working out 6-7 hours per week.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Intermittent fasting AKA skip breakfast and just eat a regular lunch and dinner is very easy to follow and will prevent obesity. You won’t get cut or shredded or more energetic or any of that shit but it’s an easy way to just eat moderately and requires virtually no will power and little effort after about 3 weeks

Intermittent fasting AKA skip breakfast and just eat a regular lunch and dinner is very easy to follow and will prevent obesity. You won’t get cut or shredded or more energetic or any of that shit but it’s an easy way to just eat moderately and requires virtually no will power and little effort after about 3 weeks
I do it, and I don't know that it's help me lose weight, but it definitely helps with energy in the morning. Another trick I've recently found helpful, drink a large glass of water when I wake up, and wait 1 hour to start my coffee. Keeps my hunger at bay longer and seems to prevent that 2p sluggishness. Water in general is actually a hell of an appetitive suppressant. Switching to only water/coffee only would be the absolute first step for someone to start losing weight.

I think most people fail because they try to do too much fixing all at once. If you can work on the eating habits and get then under control, a lot of the rest becomes easier. But to go diet/strict workout regiment seems to fail most. Taking the baby steps isn't all that bad because it's still better than what you're doing if you're just eating shit all day with no regard for your health.

In 50 years, the obesity rate in America has TRIPLED.

So to all you genetic experts, how has the genetic makeup of the human body evolved America over the past 50 years to cause this?

(note: it hasn't)

I'm not 100% against using prescriptions and medicine, but I am 100% against a f'ing Harvard "medical expert" telling the world that proper nutrition and exercise are mostly a waste of time, and instead you should just take a $1200 a month medicine. If it makes me an asshole to tell people the truth about how to be healthy, then so be it. I really wish this nice young lady whose business paid tens of millions of dollars for a 60 Minutes infomercial would do the same.

I do it, and I don't know that it's help me lose weight, but it definitely helps with energy in the morning. Another trick I've recently found helpful, drink a large glass of water when I wake up, and wait 1 hour to start my coffee. Keeps my hunger at bay longer and seems to prevent that 2p sluggishness. Water in general is actually a hell of an appetitive suppressant. Switching to only water/coffee only would be the absolute first step for someone to start losing weight.

“Drinking calories” is 100% one of the worst things you can do, agree completely. Drinking almost exclusively water for most of the population would probably cut the obesity rate by 50%.

Reactions: anthonys735
Sidenote: one of my favorite books is Blue Zones (Dan Buettner). He researches the healthiest, longest living communities in the world. It's very interesting how simple the solution is in most of these cases.

- eating fruits/veggies/lean meat
- walking/biking to work (maintaining an active lifestyle)
- strong personal connections

It's very American to wreck our bodies, then work our asses of to fix it. That's mostly what I do. But his research shows that most healthy people don't go to the gym 2 hours a day -- they just stay active and eat well.

Because there are other factors. Mainly the ease of which we can get our fat hands on really shitty processed foods.

There's not a one size fits all solution but shaming people certainly isn't it. In fact, it's probably the exact opposite of how to help.

Sure, 20lbs or 10% body weight. I’m not talking about a naturally scrawny dude with chicken legs versus a bigger dude, where they are both in shape but built different. The whole convo was talking about taking a weight loss injection medicine. If two guys eat, exercise, sleep the same one won’t need to be on a weight loss medicine and the other thin. I completely disagree with you, and the 60 mins “doctor”, there. People have different body types, sure. But I don’t think 2 people that have the same exact habits but different body types will result in one guy being thin and healthy and another obese, with diabetes, and needing his health insurance to prescribe him a regular injection to lose weight. I find that ridiculous, frankly. And that’s what they were trying to push on that segment.
Not one guy thin, and one guy obese. That is going to the extremes, we are not talking (Chris Farley vs David Spade). But I do think you could have 1 guy thin and the other guy "normal", or one guy "normal" and the other guy obese (but not morbidly obese).

Because there are other factors. Mainly the ease of which we can get our fat hands on really shitty processed foods.

There's not a one size fits all solution but shaming people certainly isn't it. In fact, it's probably the exact opposite of how to help.

Sorry to be mean, my friend.

It's just infuriating when "medical experts" refuse to acknowledge the importance of diet, exercise, and lifestyle, and instead try to enrich themselves by selling you tens of billions of dollars worth of drugs. Look around the world. This is THE WORST way to make a population healthier.

Drugs all have side effects and unintended consequences
Diet, exercise, and lifestyle = the unanimous, undefeated champs

This is what makes dieting tougher. Almost every option on the road is shit food so you have to plan ahead and make some probably unusual requests at restaurants to stick to a plan. And on that note, most any sit down place will happily serve you a meal less a bunch of unnecessary, unhealthy shit. You just have to ask.

I’ve read in multiple places that it’s best to delay your caffeine intake in the morning up to an hour and a half in order to get the best results.

Wanted to point out that when I started dropping weight, which we're talking from 195ish to mid 170's to settle around 180 today, I got the most criticism for doing something about my diet and habits from fat people.

No one has to take that. You need to not just think a drug and no work will do it though. You have to put work in, sorry that’s not what you want to hear but you eating fast food or takeout every day isn’t going to work.
Sorry bud, life doesn’t work that way when you get older. My wife since hitting menopause has tried every single diet, starved herself to death, tried working out and could not lose a pound. She has been on monjouro for about 4 months now and has lost 20 pounds. I’m probably getting on myself here soon as my A1C has been between 6.5-7 for two years now and metformin wasn’t really working and I recently read where it destroys your kidneys so stopped taking it recently and now just take berberine.

Sorry bud, life doesn’t work that way when you get older. My wife since hitting menopause has tried every single diet, starved herself to death, tried working out and could not lose a pound. She has been on monjouro for about 4 months now and has lost 20 pounds. I’m probably getting on myself here soon as my A1C has been between 6.5-7 for two years now and metformin wasn’t really working and I recently read where it destroys your kidneys so stopped taking it recently and now just take berberine.

I don't want this to come off as rude or insensitive but that's bullshit. This is what I hear from my wife as she goes for 5 mins then quits on herself.

It's impossible to not lose weight if you burn more calories than you ingest. If your wife literally starved herself for weeks, while she would probably die, she would 100% without a shadow of a doubt lose weight.

Keto, for example, takes about 6 weeks in most cases for people to see results. And, those won't be an easy 6 weeks if you like breads and other high carb foods. MOF, it actually sucks pretty bad to get through it but then your body becomes fat-adapted. That's when it starts to pay off. You actually change how your entire body process foods to where it starts burning fat by default. It also comes with tremendous energy gains, more mental clarity and in some cases, it's a pretty cheap diet.

Like I said prior, most people fail because they set themselves up for it by trying to change too much all at once. It won't come easy and the results won't come as fast as the lbs did.

Aside from my rant, happy to hear she's trending downward. If you enable her then she will follow that lead. Don't let her quit on herself and positively reinforce her good habits. It's going to be a grind for you, too.

Reactions: roguemocha
Your wife didn’t starve herself and not lose weight. She just poorly tracked and was still eating at maintenance or surplus. The medicine suppresses appetite. It is literally a cheat for CICO, but you previously stated that didn't work for her. So which is it?

Accountability goes a long way and most people have no clue how many calories they are consuming throughout the day.

Always find it interesting, more so during the pandemic, that companies like McDonald's or Coke don't ever seem to get the blowback on their negative contributions to society's health that they should.

Then again, telling some of these people that Diet Coke is still liquid shit and they can't have it would start a civil war.

McDonalds, Coke, Big Pharma = spend massive amounts of money on advertising. Whose gonna step out of line and call them out??

To reiterate — that 60 Minutes piece was literally paid for by Novo Nordisk.

Reactions: catlanta33
McDonalds, Coke, Big Pharma = spend massive amounts of money on advertising. Whose gonna step out of line and call them out??

To reiterate — that 60 Minutes piece was literally paid for by Novo Nordisk.

Not only that, few have the money to go against that even if they wanted to call them out.

It's definitely harder to drop weight as you get older but if you're dieting and working out with no success then you're doing something wrong. You just are, probably something simple. So much shit is marketed as healthy when it reality it's shoved full of sugar and calorie dense foods. Cliff Bars for instance.

For anyone struggling to lose weight, when trying, just plug your actual food consumed for a day or two in myfitnesspal. Make sure to count the 1 or 2 peanut butter cups, hand full of nuts, 3 cokes, snack cheese, etc.

Big problem for me is 2 kids with leftovers. Easy to throw down a few fish sticks, nuggets, or half a PBnJ without even considering it a meal.

I don't want this to come off as rude or insensitive but that's bullshit. This is what I hear from my wife as she goes for 5 mins then quits on herself.

It's impossible to not lose weight if you burn more calories than you ingest. If your wife literally starved herself for weeks, while she would probably die, she would 100% without a shadow of a doubt lose weight.

Keto, for example, takes about 6 weeks in most cases for people to see results. And, those won't be an easy 6 weeks if you like breads and other high carb foods. MOF, it actually sucks pretty bad to get through it but then your body becomes fat-adapted. That's when it starts to pay off. You actually change how your entire body process foods to where it starts burning fat by default. It also comes with tremendous energy gains, more mental clarity and in some cases, it's a pretty cheap diet.

Like I said prior, most people fail because they set themselves up for it by trying to change too much all at once. It won't come easy and the results won't come as fast as the lbs did.

Aside from my rant, happy to hear she's trending downward. If you enable her then she will follow that lead. Don't let her quit on herself and positively reinforce her good habits. It's going to be a grind for you, too.
Sorry but you are incorrect. It is very possible to not lose weight while doing all the correct things. My wife is very conscious about her weight and have watched her with my own eyes for the past 6-7 years try everything under the sun. She stuck with Keto for about 6 months and got no results and routinely checked to make sure she was in ketosis.

Sorry but you are incorrect. It is very possible to not lose weight while doing all the correct things. My wife is very conscious about her weight and have watched her with my own eyes for the past 6-7 years try everything under the sun. She stuck with Keto for about 6 months and got no results and routinely checked to make sure she was in ketosis.

It is my understanding (please correct me if I’m wrong) that the primary way this drug causes weight loss is by acting as an appetite suppressant. So hopefully you can understand the confusion when you said your wife starved herself to death and didn’t lose weight but lost weight immediately when she was put on an appetite suppressant.

Not it's not. True ketosis means your body is starting to burn your fat reserves. Impossible to not lean out and lose weight if you're in ketosis. It's also impossible to stay there long term. Only way I could see that is if she was packing on equivalent muscle at the same time which wouldn't happen if she's not eating. I can't imagine eating enough fat to outweigh ketosis. Body builders literally drink olive oil to try and get enough in.

Weight isn't end all be all for health.

Reactions: roguemocha
It is my understanding (please correct me if I’m wrong) that the primary way this drug causes weight loss is by acting as an appetite suppressant. So hopefully you can understand the confusion when you said your wife starved herself to death and didn’t lose weight but lost weight immediately when she was put on an appetite suppressant.
For my wife it is not the appetite suppressant part that is doing the trick because she really doesn’t overeat rather it is the metabolism and insulin resistance that the medication is addressing that is allowing her to finally lose weight.

Not it's not. True ketosis means your body is starting to burn your fat reserves. Impossible to not lean out and lose weight if you're in ketosis. It's also impossible to stay there long term. Only way I could see that is if she was packing on equivalent muscle at the same time which wouldn't happen if she's not eating. I can't imagine eating enough fat to outweigh ketosis. Body builders literally drink olive oil to try and get enough in.

Weight isn't end all be all for health.
Sorry but my wife did it for a year, and did not get results (thought it was 6 months but she just told me a year). I have no reason to mislead here, it benefits me none but my wife did not lose weight on keto, any other diet, or weight loss pill she has tried. She has lost 20 pounds now but has hit a wall of sorts. She isn’t morbidly obese but heavier than she would like to be. Her goal is another 20 lbs but she is very pleased with the 20 thus far.

I don’t know, man. Cats2010’s wife probably should have continued on a cycle of trying and failing to lose weight, rather than relying on a drug to help kick start the process, and likely get her to a mental spot where drug free weight loss is more attainable.

I know I filled my body with various unregulated supplements throughout late high school and college to attain the energy and strength/mass gains I wanted and felt I couldn’t achieve through diet alone. None of that shit went through any FDA review (which we’ve seen is bullshit anyway). I’d do it again.

At this point in my life, I’m past the point I’m going to use most supplements, FDA regulated or otherwise, to try and achieve physical fitness goals, but if it works for some people, so be it.

How many of you have taken preworkout supplements, hormones (melatonin, testosterone, etc.) and are now claiming some guys wife just eats too much to attain the results you attain with your body naturally?

Asian countries like China, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, etc = obesity rates in the low single digits.
Asian Americans, however, are over 25% obese.

Maybe they just shipped over all their weak, genetically pre-disposed fellow Asian over to America? Very strange.

It's diet, exercise, activity level, lifestyle. Taking drugs may work in the short term, and there certainly are extreme examples where a little kick start or boost can help, but nothing will work better in the long term than controlling your own health. Nothing. It's why the long term effects of gastric bypass and the like are extremely poor. You have to change the behavior.

Somebody is in here trying to convince us that his wife breaks the laws of thermodynamics lol.

Your wife was eating in a caloric surplus whether you saw it or not. Also lol at “I watched her diet with my own eyes, but I may be off on the time by half a year!”

I don't know enough about the drugs to really comment, but if FDA approved, and used to get you to a point where exercise and diet can maintain a health life... then good for the drug. I can't imagine thinking this is a long term solution. I just see it, as most drugs are now, as a crutch if used long term. You can't exercise, eat healthy, in ketosis even, and not lose weight over a full year. I'm sorry, that's just not true. Not that you're a liar, but you need to educate yourself on your diet further. I had to. You can work out, and gain weight, if your diet isn't in check. I know that for a fact as I do it every winter. My guess is they need to get with a dietician or health coach and really track their caloric intake/output. tons of resources for this. They'll be shocked. I was and I've been through all this. Fad diets that don't work. Losing and gaining weight seasonally. Gaining weight while working out harder than I ever had. It's quite literally an every day battle for me, which is frustrating as f*ck when I have friends that have the same diet and exercise program that can't put on weight.

Reactions: catlanta33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT