ADVERTISEMENT

Most viewed CBB team webpages by state

No way a women's basketball player won this for 50/50 states. This appears to be another case of, 'women's basketball is so awesome, if you ain't watching, you're missing out' manufactured BS. I don't buy it. They are trying pretty hard to make fetch happen. I've seen the product. Fetch is never gonna happen. I don't care enough to dig, but I question where/how these 'results' were derived.

No way a women's basketball player won this for 50/50 states. This appears to be another case of, 'women's basketball is so awesome, if you ain't watching, you're missing out' manufactured BS. I don't buy it. They are trying pretty hard to make fetch happen. I've seen the product. Fetch is never gonna happen. I don't care enough to dig, but I question where/how these 'results' were derived.
She’s a man baby

I’d rather not watch sports than watch women’s basketball, it’s terrible

Also, I’m sorry, but she’s not even cute, I really doubt this graphic is accurate. If I’m wrong, yall are nasty
And what exactly does being cute have to do with one's ability to shoot the lights out? She's a generationally good basketball player.

Don't believe that graphic for a second...unless I'm misunderstanding something.
When I posted the graphic, it was supposed to be specific to the most searched teams. For some reason the most viewed women’s basketball player comes up also. I can’t get it to post alone.

The top graphic is the most viewed women’s player in each state

The bottom graphic is the most viewed men’s team page in each state

It gives keen insight into two things:
1. There are Kentucky basketball fans everywhere
2. Nobody cares about college basketball, it’s a niche sport, and we are an odd bunch that follow it.
The tournament is such a cultural touchstone it elevates the sport over “niche” status. However, 90% of those people don’t tune in until March.

That graphic (which I didn't mean to post but don't know how to post the men's team graphic without it showing up) is the most viewed women's player in each state. The men's player graphic is different. I was just posting for the bottom graphic but can't get rid of the top.

The data is probably derived from their specific site (sports-reference.com)

2. Nobody cares about college basketball, it’s a niche sport, and we are an odd bunch that follow it.
I don't understand why it's so niche, or as I've heard it called, geeky. People watch the NBA, do they think players just, grow on trees?

I like to watch all three levels of the two main sports, not nearly as much HS anymore, but still do occasionally. You never know where a great player will come from

Speaking of the women's game.. does anyone else get Brenda Bunson vibes from the movie Sausage Party when they see Angel Reese?

LSU-Angel-Reese.jpg

ha65nfb9n4371.jpg

RE: Caitlyn Clark:

Do some of yall not remember her dust up with one of the LSU players in last year’s title game and a war of words leading up to it? It was national news and somehow took on a political bent? Clark was also WNPOY.

I don’t watch much women’s basketball at all, but was acutely aware of the Clark stuff because of the coverage it got on social media and sports media in general.

Illinois and miami????
Love the UK attention, but what the hell is Illinois doing focusing on Miami? Weird.
That has to be a mistake. Just ain’t no way that could be true.

I’m curious how reliable the methodology behind that chart actually is. Just one obvious error like that can make one question the whole thing.

RE: Caitlyn Clark:

Do some of yall not remember her dust up with one of the LSU players in last year’s title game and a war of words leading up to it? It was national news and somehow took on a political bent? Clark was also WNPOY.

I don’t watch much women’s basketball at all, but was acutely aware of the Clark stuff because of the coverage it got on social media and sports media in general.
Lands, yes. They both did the can't see me thing, but the LSU player caught more flak for it than Clark did (mainly because she got up in people's personal space doing it) and it devolved into a whole race/political debate. Thanks for the reminder, now I'm going to go bleach my brain for that.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Without knowing the methodology (which isn't provided), it doesn't give any insight.
If you look and many of the other associated lists and graphs, the whole thing is quite dubious.

I've always wondered why it's never really caught on. I've watched a few good women's games and they're decent enough. I think it's just gotta be quality of competition top to bottom right? There's only a handful of good women's teams.

That has to be a mistake. Just ain’t no way that could be true.

I’m curious how reliable the methodology behind that chart actually is. Just one obvious error like that can make one question the whole thing.
I spent over 20 years in Illinois. It may have been Kentucky but is likely UI. Someone may have picked wrong logo. Miami is impossible.

Obv fake. Why would Wyoming and Arizona or Maine be searching Kentucky. The Arizona one esp screams bullshit
Could be fake but not obviously. I’d believe it.

Because no one in Maine or Wyoming is researching college basketball… except UK fans.

Is likely a reflection of Google searches for UK / college basketball statistics

Reactions: grevey35 and UK90
Obv fake. Why would Wyoming and Arizona or Maine be searching Kentucky. The Arizona one esp screams bullshit
I can easily see the Wyoming and Maine ones being true. UK has by far the largest, most avid, and widespread national fan base, and UK fans who live in far away states keep up through our web sites/message boards.

And, honestly, who the hell in a state like Maine is gonna follow the CBB board of any Maine school (presuming such boards even exist).

But I’ll concede the Arizona one strikes me as very hard to believe. And the Illinois/Miami one is clearly bullshit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT