ADVERTISEMENT

Most amount of NIL money someone has asked you or your staff to pay for a player?

I bet dealing with these agents is such a headache. It’s no surprise the old guard of elite coaches are mostly done.

And that, more than anything else, is what we heard from most coaches -- that nearly every player in the transfer portal worth pursuing is asking for something, often something out of line with reality. One coach told us he was informed that it would take $400,000 to get a transfer who had just averaged around five points per game at the mid-major level.

I know for sure during recruiting/portal season, a ul insider said on the radio ul paid guys 25k for only a visit. He said everyone does that but im not so sure.

The fact anyone pays 25k for only a visit is insane.

Reactions: chroix
51% of coaches surveyed said that they've been asked for at least $1 million for one player's services.

That's insane.

It’s sad.

The NCAA’s member institutions are being punished for the sins and greed of the NCAA itself. We went from the players having no power to them having all of it. Everything in this country now has to be one extreme or the other. No balance, no moderation.

I know for sure during recruiting/portal season, a ul insider said on the radio ul paid guys 25k for only a visit. He said everyone does that but im not so sure.

The fact anyone pays 25k for only a visit is insane.

Pretty sure they were referring to the big guy who went to Washington. And everyone most certainly does NOT do that lol. You have to pay kids to visit the dump that is Louisville.

It’s sad.

The NCAA’s member institutions are being punished for the sins and greed of the NCAA itself. We went from the players having no power to them having all of it. Everything in this country now has to be one extreme or the other. No balance, no moderation.
I think a solid modification would be:

- continue to allow NIL.
- No more instant transfers.
- Allow one transfer, unless a head coach leaves. In which case they'd get two transfers total, regardless of "hardship."

Hold players more accountable to their choices, while also continuing to allow them to dip their foot into the free market.

Reactions: Wonky
I think a solid modification would be:

- continue to allow NIL.
- No more instant transfers.
- Allow one transfer, unless a head coach leaves. In which case they'd get two transfers total, regardless of "hardship."

Hold players more accountable to their choices, while also continuing to allow them to dip their foot into the free market.

They can’t force any of that, they’ll be sued and lose in court. The NCAA hold no more power.

It’s sad.

I agree 100% and have said the same thing.

I don't blame the players for asking. Take what you can get. I don't blame the agents. Take what you can get. I don't blame the coaches for paying. It's the world we live in.

Ironically enough, the NCAA is to blame. They spent decades refusing to even consider tweaking the amateur model. They remained so stubborn, obstinate and holier-than-thou that lawsuits were finally triggered and the ball just picked up steam as it rolled downhill. If the NCAA had only been fair and logical, this would likely not have occurred.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT