ADVERTISEMENT

Give your best UK starting 5 (& 2 bench) - only 1 player per coach

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Updated rule, changing "Player had to have his last season for UK under that coach" to:
For players who played for multiple coaches, YOU CHOOSE whether you take the coach that the player FIRST played for or LAST played for. But that rule you choose applies to ALL the guys you pick
Because of their short duration, the 2 bench spots have to come from Sutton & BCG.
You get 1 at each position, based on where they played for UK (e.g. Mashburn is a 4, Davis is a 5, Bowie is a 5, so you can't have both Davis and Bowie).
This way we don't have everyone picking the same teams.

Mine:
5/C = Davis (Cal)
4/PF = Mashburn (Pitino)
3/SF = Givens (Hall)
2/SG = Bogans (Tubby)
1/PG = Dampier (Rupp)

Walker (Sutton) backing up the 3-5
Meeks (BCG) backing up the 1-3

(I admit I stayed away from Groza, Jones, Beard, Ramsey, Nash not knowing what positions to put them at and not wanting to research it.)
My last 2 were Givens and Bogans, I considered instead going Prince and Grevey (I think Grevey was a SG). I also considered Issel & Ulis instead of Davis and Dampier.

Last edited:
C Bill Spivey (Rupp)
PF Rick Robey (Hall)
SF Antoine Walker (Pitino)
SG Keith Bogans (Smith)
PG John Wall (Calipari)

Jared Carter backing up the C/F spot (Gillespie)
Rex Chapman backup guard (Sutton)

The combination of requirements that (a) the named players must be associated with the coach of their final season (b) the backups must come from Sutton/Gillispie is a real pickle. No significant forward/center finished under Gillispie, so what do you do if you want Chapman (or Davender) from Sutton!?

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
C Bill Spivey (Rupp)
PF Rick Robey (Hall)
SG Keith Bogans (Smith)
PG John Wall (Calipari)

The combination of requirements that (a) the named players must be associated with the coach of their final season (b) the backups must come from Sutton/Gillispie is a real pickle. No significant forward/center finished under Gillispie, so what do you do if you want Chapman (or Davender) from Sutton!?
What about Patterson?

C Bill Spivey (Rupp)
PF Rick Robey (Hall)
SG Keith Bogans (Smith)
PG John Wall (Calipari)

A.Walker did not play SF.
I think Robey played more C than PF (but not sure).
If this were easy, it wouldn’t be fun.

I think you’re right about Robey but Jon Scott’s Big Blue History site had him listed as C/F so I took advantage of that!

I remember Walker and McCarty on the floor a lot together and I’d have regarded McCarty as the PF of that pair.

It is hard, and fun, and there’s plenty of good answers, although I stand by my assertion that the OP’s requirement that the two backups have to come from Sutton and Gillispie is very restrictive

Issel - Rupp
Davis - Cal
Mashburn - Pitino
Chapman - Sutton
Macy - Hall

Patterson - BCG
Bogans - Smith

I took a different approach. I’m playing Mashburn at 3. I took Bogans over Rondo and Prince to have a combo guard off the bench for Tubby. Patterson is an all purpose reserve big.

C- Davis- (Cal)
F- Issel- (Rupp)
F- Mashburn- (Pitino)
G- Chapman- (Sutton)
G- Rondo- (Smith)

Meeks (BCG) backs up guards
Givens (Hall) backs up forwards

AD plays the whole game 😂

Mashburn was a SF at UK btw

Issel - Rupp
Davis - Cal
Mashburn - Pitino
Chapman - Sutton
Macy - Hall

Patterson - BCG
Bogans - Smith

I took a different approach. I’m playing Mashburn at 3. I took Bogans over Rondo and Prince to have a combo guard off the bench for Tubby. Patterson is an all purpose reserve big.
Except per the OP, the reserve players HAVE to come from Sutton/Gillispie and you can only have one player per coach, so Chapman can’t be a starter

Rupp - Issel
Hall - Minniefield
Sutton - Chapman
Pitino - Delk
Smith - Prince
Gillispie - Meeks
Calipari - AD

Starters - AD, Issel, Minniefield, Delk, Prince

Bench - Chapman, Meeks

The parameters of this really suck. OP, you forced us to take Meeks.

Last edited:
phillips played C. robey played pf. if Phillips was in foul trouble, which was each game, Robey would play C or chuck Alexenius (SP) would come or scott. All were big strong players.

I think you’re right about Robey but Jon Scott’s Big Blue History site had him listed as C/F so I took advantage of that!

I remember Walker and McCarty on the floor a lot together and I’d have regarded McCarty as the PF of that pair.

It is hard, and fun, and there’s plenty of good answers, although I stand by my assertion that the OP’s requirement that the two backups have to come from Sutton and Gillispie is very restrictive
You areright about McCarty and Walker. So PF, not SF

Issel - Rupp
Davis - Cal
Mashburn - Pitino
Chapman - Sutton
Macy - Hall

Patterson - BCG
Bogans - Smith

You broke 2 rules. Mashburn very rarely played SF. And Issel and Davis both played C. So you have 2,C’s and no SF.

Rupp - Issel
Hall - Minniefield
Sutton - Chapman
Pitino - Delk
Smith - Prince
Gillispie - Meeks
Calipari - AD

Starters - AD, Issel, Minniefield, Delk, Prince

Bench - Chapman, Meeks

The parameters of this really suck. OP, you forced us to take Meeks.
lol. Wouldn’t be fun if was too easy. Would be nice if Patterson was also option for BCG, so choose between him and Meeks. So Meeks is the easy one.

What about Patterson?
Patterson finished under Calipari, so per the OPs criteria he can’t be the Gillispie pick. That’s what I originally had in mind, picking Chapman/Patterson. I suppose the smart pick - made by at least one other responder who stuck by the OPs rather restrictive rules, is Kenny Walker/Jody Meeks. But I didn’t want to give up on Rex so the only other Gillispie option is Carter. Crazy, but it’s JonathanW’s thread, not mine 🙂

Reactions: true blue1
Patterson finished under Calipari, so per the OPs criteria he can’t be the Gillispie pick. That’s what I originally had in mind, picking Chapman/Patterson. I suppose the smart pick - made by at least one other responder who stuck by the OPs rather restrictive rules, is Kenny Walker/Jody Meeks. But I didn’t want to give up on Rex so the only other Gillispie option is Carter. Crazy, but it’s JonathanW’s thread, not mine 🙂
You have to have a fixed rule, that applies to all, otherwise it's too easy and we all end up with the same guys basically.
I suppose the 3 options on which a player applies to would be:
1) the coach he finished for
2) the coach he started under
3) the coach he played the most games under

The players this affects (who might be considered) are:
Jim Andrews (Rupp-Hall)
K.Walker, Davender (Hall-Sutton)
Derrick Miller, Hanson, Pelphrey (Sutton-Pitino)
Jeff Sheppard, Mohammad, Padgett, Turner, Magloire (Pitino-Tubby)
Meeks, Crawford, Bradley (Tubby-BCG)
Patterson, Darius Miller (BCG-Cal)
And of those, really I think only K.Walker and Meeks and Patterson would be picked by someone.

How about I relax the rule, to
"For players who played for multiple coaches, YOU CHOOSE whether you take the coach that the player FIRST played for or LAST played for. But that rule you choose applies to ALL the guys you pick."
So that means, if you take Patterson with BCG, then you can't take K.Walker with Sutton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT