ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Monday Notes (8/29)...

tj_walker

T.J. Walker
Gold Member
May 25, 2011
Louisville
podcasts.apple.com
Hey everyone. I hope you all had a good weekend. I'm going to vent for a second here before getting to the recruiting notes. So this past weekend was a nightmare. If you follow me on Twitter you saw pictures of my dog with huge swollen cheeks. Funny now, scary on Friday night. We're not exactly sure what happened but we noticed his cheeks and immediately took him to a 24/7 animal hospital. They guessed he ate a bee or a bug. All possible. He's a Vizsla and hunts everything.

But anyways, they give him some fluids and doggy steroids and just say we have to wait and see how his body responds. The swelling started to go down that night and in the morning it looked significantly better. Not 100 percent but progress was being shown. We gave him his medicine we received at the Vet's office and it seemed like he was getting back to 100 percent.

However, an hour later he started throwing up. A lot. Probably six or seven times in an hour. So they tell us we need to take him back. We do. We're there four hours and get several test done. They "strongly recommend" that they keep him overnight although the tests came back normal. That would be $1,300 and there's just no way I could afford that. We still end up paying an arm and a leg for just the tests but we bring him home. He's a little loopy from some of the drugs but the throwing up had stopped and he seems like he's getting better. We give him some of the medicine the doctor told us to give him and he starts spitting up again!

So I made the decision to stop giving him medicine and he's 100 percent today. Running around the house and barking at anything outside like he normally does. Long story short, my weekend was awful, I'm convinced vets just want your money and I'm excited for football season.

Except my girlfriend's sister is getting married Saturday so even this weekend will feature some obstacles.

Now, as if you all cared..... here are the recruiting notes:

Hamidou Diallo: Bossi posted in another thread that there's rumblings that he may go straight to the NBA. I've heard that, and it's a possibility, but my guess is he plays college basketball.

You have to remember he was also discussed as possibly reclassifying to 2016. When a recruit, like Wenyen Gabriel, held himself back a year you're going to hear these rumblings every time. The option is there for Diallo, and maybe he'll decide he doesn't want to play college basketball, but Kentucky will continue to recruit him and the fact this is a possibility won't slow down UK's recruitment whatsoever.

P.J. Washington: Here's what I said on Friday if you missed it: First, someone that knows his recruitment better than I do said opposing coaching staffs think Kentucky is still the leader. It may be a "let it marinate" situation with UNLV, as I still think they will be a player in this recruitment, but it seems like the Cats are still the team to beat.

To go into a bit more detailed, I feel much better about UK's chances after having a conversation this weekend. The relationship UK's staff has built with the entire Washington family is great. And Paul Washington, P.J.'s dad, will want his son to be in the best situation for him to improve as a basketball player so once he gets to the NBA, whether a year or two, he can make an impact and not float around the D League.

Now could they be convinced that another school could equally improve his son's game? Possibly. Things always change in recruiting. But a school will have to beat out UK at this point, in my opinion.

Gary Trent Jr.: I still need to find out more information on this but he transferred to Findlay Prep and was going to play with P.J. Washington. Well, it was announced over the weekend that he won't be attending Findlay Prep but will instead enroll at Prolific Prep. I don't know the details. I'm not sure why he didn't want to play for Paul Washington, but just seems bizarre.

Regardless, the Cats aren't recruiting him and he won't end up at UK.

Trae Young: Yes, he did visit Oklahoma for an alumni game but he was asked to come and was told he could shoot around. As a 17-18 year old kid why would you say no to that? I think he actually shoots around at OU from time to time. I was told not to read too much into it and I still think UK leads, but I can understand why some think the Sooners are at the top.

He's ultimately going to have to make a decision on whether he wants to leave home or stay at OU. I think he likely already knows where he wants to go but is taking his time. I will say, and this is something I've thought but was also told, if he was going to stay home wouldn't he make it official ASAP and start recruiting. Winning is the biggest factor to Young. Committing to Oklahoma early would help his chances of winning. Just something to consider as his recruitment carries on through the fall.

Petty:
I'm told his visit to Alabama went well. According to Adam Zagoria, they tried to emphasize how they will care about Petty during his time at Alabama and after. It's my opinion that Alabama feels like they're slipping a bit and trying to connect on a different level.

Again, as I've said with Petty, I think he's going to visit a school. Really know that's what he wants and you'll hear of a decision date set. So far no decision date set so that's good news for Kentucky.

Calipari:
He recently said that he's looking at eight or nine guys. That would explain why there hasn't been new offers and why recruiting has been more quiet than normal. I also take it as a good sign that Calipari feels good about landing another elite class. Here are the eight or nine guys (again, my opinion no inside source here):

Bamba
Diallo
Knox
Petty
Richards
Walker
Washington
Young

Maybe throw in Ayton or Vanderbilt. Quade Green and Tremont Waters are backup options for Young.

Reactions: jrpross
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News