ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft 2018

Justin Lewis was drafted in the 12th round by the Diamondbacks and Trey Dawson was picked in the 15th round by the Astros.
Would like to see Lewis, Mach and Dawson all come back. Think they can all do better. Mach would probably be one of the weekend starters next year.

We've now reached the 30th round and as a far as I know not a single commit for next season has been drafted. Not a very good sign IMO.

9 MLB draft picks and no NCAA Tournament. It just shows how much these guys under achieved this year. The players that were picked in the latter rounds and are elgible hopefully will be hungry enough to come back and make amends for this disappointing season.

9 MLB draft picks and no NCAA Tournament. It just shows how much these guys under achieved this year. The players that were picked in the latter rounds and are elgible hopefully will be hungry enough to come back and make amends for this disappointing season.

Over the last two years UK has the most picks of any schools in R10 or better.. (12)

We've now reached the 30th round and as a far as I know not a single commit for next season has been drafted. Not a very good sign IMO.

Perfect Game has us with 0 top 100 recruits but still a top 25 recruiting class. It's, unfortunately, not the strongest of classes for us. Will Gambino was drafted.

The interesting thing is that Henderson's best class was ranked 22nd, just like this year for Ming. Still, the 2016 draft class with Pompey and Hjelle was ranked 30th. The 2015 with Becker, Lewis, Mahan, Logue, White and Pop was amazingly ranked 39th. Not sure how great these rankings are. Lol

I know Vanderbilt got some good luck with some recruits. Florida from most accounts had some underclassman slip

Would be great to get a few surprises back but don’t see it

On the contrary, very good for us with the HS commits, the JUCO guys could be 1 and done ala Ryan Streby was. Shelby could fit that catagory, but we take it a year at a time anyway !

Mach should come back. Lewis could and could probably improve his slot, but don't blame him for going.
If Lewis, Dawson and Aklinski come back, they will lose all leverage in negotiating next year. No matter where they are drafted in 2019, they'll have to accept whatever the team offers. That being said, I selfishly hope they all return. Machamer would still have leverage next year since he would still have his SR year of eligibility. But I don't think he'll return.

If Lewis, Dawson and Aklinski come back, they will lose all leverage in negotiating next year. No matter where they are drafted in 2019, they'll have to accept whatever the team offers. That being said, I selfishly hope they all return. Machamer would still have leverage next year since he would still have his SR year of eligibility. But I don't think he'll return.
I could see Aklinski returning. Dawson is probably gone.

On the contrary, very good for us with the HS commits, the JUCO guys could be 1 and done ala Ryan Streby was. Shelby could fit that catagory, but we take it a year at a time anyway !
It's also possible that some of our recruits told teams not to draft them unless they were willing to offer an insane amount of money.

All the SEC baseball programs face this same problem,and we’ll be fine!

That is very true. I just don't think Dawson can improve his stock that much. Came in as a defense guy and showed himself very well in that aspect. He then hit above .270 and showed a great eye at the plate. I think it will be hard to improve on that with UKs offense losing so much. Even if he does improve then the loss of the bargaining chip may basically even out the returns.

I think Lewis has done enough to be drafted higher, but I'm not sure why he wasn't. Maybe the lack of a third pitch, but I think many teams would risk that to get a guy with such a dominant change up. Maybe if he moved to a Friday role then he'd get more press and attention, I dunno. Just kind of weird to me that he didn't go earlier.

Something tells me that Ben is probably gone regardless. Can't say why exactly, but it's my feeling that he's going to go get paid to play and get going with the next step in his journey.

It's also possible that some of our recruits told teams not to draft them unless they were willing to offer an insane amount of money.

Yes. I know one player from the Class of 2017, he was called and they couldn't agree on numbers so they didn't draft him at all. I wouldn't say they asked for insane money, but it had to be enough to make it worth skipping college, and the most important thing was to make sure you weren't just a number and could be released easily. No money put into you, the more likely you are to be released if you don't perform. There is no PATIENT learning curve for those players.

They won't risk losing their "big money" slot values unless they know you will sign.

Day 3 money is nothing to them, and of course seniors have no leverage. It's take this offer or you are done.

That is very true. I just don't think Dawson can improve his stock that much. Came in as a defense guy and showed himself very well in that aspect. He then hit above .270 and showed a great eye at the plate. I think it will be hard to improve on that with UKs offense losing so much. Even if he does improve then the loss of the bargaining chip may basically even out the returns.

I think Lewis has done enough to be drafted higher, but I'm not sure why he wasn't. Maybe the lack of a third pitch, but I think many teams would risk that to get a guy with such a dominant change up. Maybe if he moved to a Friday role then he'd get more press and attention, I dunno. Just kind of weird to me that he didn't go earlier.

Something tells me that Ben is probably gone regardless. Can't say why exactly, but it's my feeling that he's going to go get paid to play and get going with the next step in his journey.
Lewis’ arm trouble changed his projection from rounds 5-8 to 10-14.

Ben Aklinski signed with the Phillies.

I'm pretty sure he was ready to move to the next phase. One indication of this was an interview he gave where he said he needed to stop playing for himself and start playing for the team again.

I'm pretty sure he was ready to move to the next phase. One indication of this was an interview he gave where he said he needed to stop playing for himself and start playing for the team again.

Ive heard this before. Good luck to him on his next chapter.

Many on this board dogged Zach all season, saying that he wouldn’t get drafted high and should come back for another year. He signed for a reported $300,000. If he came back he could have gotten drafted higher but would have had to settle for whatever amount they offered. Great decision by Zach.

ADVERTISEMENT