ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft 2018

Big_Blue_1018

Junior
Oct 5, 2014
I know the draft starts Monday but I figured I would start a thread to follow UK players and signees who may get drafted. But, before all that, give me your thoughts on who goes and who stays. Here's my thoughts on a couple of the eligible guys.

Hjelle: Hes gone. Top 200 in the draft will be real hard to see him on campus next year.

Pompey: Gone. But where he ends up at the next level is an interesting debate.

Cottam: I'd love to see him back for another year but I think he moves on. Big bat, good defender between the plate and played a really good first base this year.

Ryan Johnson: I'm 50/50 here. Should come back.

Justin Lewis: Gone. Already graduated. The league will be too hard to pass up.

I think Dawson should go. Guy isn't known for his bat and he still showed excellent poise and ability in the box this year. Losing Heyer, Cottam, Pompey, Becker, and Squires could hurt Dawson's ability and he might be forced to do more in the lineup which could hurt his draft stock.

Aklinski is one that could be on the fence. Had a rough patch but I'm not sure he can do a ton to improve his stock, especially with losing our best hitters.

Not real high anyway, same with Dawson.

I'm not sure, but my concern for them is that their stock may only drop instead of improve. We lose 60 percent of our hits fron a year ago and that loss of production can hurt other players who return. Maybe we replace them with equal production, but if not then someone like Dawson may see fewer fastballs and may get fewer hits and walks and then his draft stock is hurt that much more.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
I i were pitching to Cottham he gets nothing up and over the plate..if i walk him so be it...no threat on base paths...i have nothing ahainst him whatdoever but he is mot a pro baseball player
..sorry...neither is Becker

I i were pitching to Cottham he gets nothing up and over the plate..if i walk him so be it...no threat on base paths...i have nothing ahainst him whatdoever but he is mot a pro baseball player

We will see what happens with him on Monday and beyond. His speed matters absolutely none. Yadier Molina is the slowest person in existence and he is possibly a hall of famer. Cottam (which is how you actually spell his name), is a solid defender first and as a catcher. Pro teams aren't looking for speed at those positions and really, at catcher they aren't even worried about the bat as much as they are the defense. The positive for Cottam is that he has a solid bat. Yes, if he is up with no one on you can pitch around him, but when you have to pitch to him he can make you pay.

Regardless, he might not be a major leaguer but few baseball players ever make that level. Still, he will get paid to play the game and his speed will not hurt that one bit.

We will see what happens with him on Monday and beyond. His speed matters absolutely none. Yadier Molina is the slowest person in existence and he is possibly a hall of famer. Cottam (which is how you actually spell his name), is a solid defender first and as a catcher. Pro teams aren't looking for speed at those positions and really, at catcher they aren't even worried about the bat as much as they are the defense. The positive for Cottam is that he has a solid bat. Yes, if he is up with no one on you can pitch around him, but when you have to pitch to him he can make you pay.

Regardless, he might not be a major leaguer but few baseball players ever make that level. Still, he will get paid to play the game and his speed will not hurt that one bit.
Big Pop is a speed demon!! Johnny Bench was/is the greatest catcher that ever lived to this point and he certainly wasn't fast.

Still confused. Give me some catchers that are drafted to be a threat on the base path

You're either intentionally misspelling COTTAM or paying so little attention to the games that you don't even know the difference. Regardless, go away.

Reactions: law1127
So far the Cats have:

Hjelle 2nd round (45)
Pompey 3rd round (89)
Cottam 4th round (130)
Haake 6th round (182)
Heyer 8th Round (254)
Becker 9th round (261)

Reactions: parrott
Weird...….if you look on Draft tracker and search by school, "K", it brings up everyone from Kentucky that has been drafted and then list who is still left. There is no Aklinski, Shinn or Johnson on there...the Jucos? Do they not list eligible jucos??

Shows Collett, Dawson, Machamer and Miller.

Anyone know anything? Maybe I'm overlooking them??

Justin Lewis was drafted in the 12th round by the Diamondbacks and Trey Dawson was picked in the 15th round by the Astros.

ADVERTISEMENT