ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi State OL Westmoreland dead at 19

Don't like your politics, but still🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣it's a horrible thing no parent should go thru. Thank you!

I second that. God put me through many trials but I beg him please don’t test me there. There’s no way I can do that.

Very sorry to know about your losses and I do believe he’ll only allow the most crazy strong sob’s to take something like that on.

I second that. God put me through many trials but I beg him please don’t test me there. There’s no way I can do that.

Very sorry to know about your losses and I do believe he’ll only allow the most crazy strong sob’s to take something like that on.
Agree.

BTW… I appreciate your posts on this matter. Very thought provoking. 👍

Reactions: Gromcat
I’d say this country absolutely talks about mental health, then does nothing about it at all.

Can't stress this enough. In 2017, we had a retiree picnic. A guy that retired a couple of years before me was there. I'd worked with him for probably 20 years, been fishing with him a few times and traveled with him on a work trip once. Nice, calm, slow talking Tennessee country boy. He was pretty OCD about his vehicles, home and personal appearance, but nothing too extreme. He had been divorced for several years but was still friends with his ex. He was well liked by all of us. He showed up at this picnic and was completely off the rails, talking 90 MPH about the bible, all the terrible things that were going to happen to us and what we all needed to be doing for the future. We were all like WTF? and some were laughing about it, but none of us tried to contact him or engage him to find out that was going on with him.

A couple of weeks later, he was on the front page of the local paper when he got arrested for aggravated stalking the day before. It turned out he had been arrested earlier in the year for stalking and ordered to undergo counseling. Still, none of us tried to reach out to him. A month or so later, he gets into an argument with his neighbor. His neighbor calls the cops. When the cops roll up and are coming to his door, he steps out with a 12 gauge and pumps 3-4 rounds into them, dinging one, but seriously wounding the other. He retreats and barricades himself in his home, and after a couple of hours standoff, shoots and kills himself.

At the funeral home, his brother told me that family had tried to talk him into getting help but couldn't get him to understand that he needed help. While I personally feel terrible that I didn't at least reach out to him (maybe take him fishing or something), how do you go about helping someone in that shape?

Well this might be a little long but I don’t have anything to do. It’s all my opinion from working in the field and utilizing psychotherapy and EBP’s.

Suicide is the answer to a life without a pathway out of personal conflict. It’s essentially when the mind has nowhere else to go and the trauma experienced cannot settle at a resolution. You find the trauma, you create a pathway, you end a lot of suicide in this culture. This is purely my opinion from experience, education, and understanding these issues from my own past mental disorder and weighing the outcomes between psychology and psychotherapy.

The problem is the ways to do that begin in the home, in the community, and in local mental health clinics which nobody notices on the way to McDonald’s. These places are under funded to the point where they only operate because people are willing to keep it open without the pay to do so. In a normal business setting these clinics would close. I am a right wing type of thinker in a left wing type of field. And being truthful, my side is terrible at this issue and we only want to discuss it at all when our guns are used in crimes and politicians want to strip the right. I love my guns, but we’ve got to expand further than just talking about it when someone wants to ignore the problem and look at our gun.

HE SHOT UP A SCHOOL!!

“It’s mental health!!”

-He doesn’t work, is 35 and drinks and uses coke-

“lock that lazy bum up and teach him an American lesson. Be a man and quit your stupid shit.”

We aren’t even trying to tackle mental health. Shockingly, people are still going to nurse practitioners for mental health. Totally untrained medical people who are administering psycho medications that they’re not trained to do. We don’t allow clinical mental health practitioners to write for mental health medicine, but allow nurse practitioners the ability. It’s just proof we are completely off on this issue. We would never do such a thing with any other organ, but we do with maybe the most important organ we have to flourish in life, the brain. I’m sorry it’s just nuts

For these reasons (that nothing is being done at all) Ithink the best way for everyone to combat a mental health issue with their kids, friends, or family, or to offset issues that could lead to a potential self harm or suicide pathway, is to tackle trauma instead of just asking if someone is okay and listening. Have a strategy when you notice someone you care about struggling. The notion that just asking someone if they’re okay, or telling them you’re there to talk, that somehow this is going to help someone with extreme trauma, is so short sighted. Learn to talk effectively, learn to communicate with a road map for help.

So while you might not be a psychologist or clinical therapist - there are things you can do as a strategy to help those you notice are struggling.

So for example, Many forms of depression, and there are many, are the result not of a chemical imbalance (my opinion) but of trauma left untreated. I do not believe there’s a medication for everything, and don’t recommend some be medicated until they’ve undergone forms of psychotherapy at least.

We’re discovering more about what’s called ACE’s or adverse childhood experiences. To boil this down to a scary understanding, the majority of people that suffer heart disease, use substances (drugs, alcohol, tobacco), and other issues such as eating disorders (too much too little), might w really be suffering from forms of ACE’s. research is finding that these people many times over have a high ACE score. So really what this means is we are locking up tons of people, and overlooking others as stupid and lazy, who are mentally sick from childhood traumas. Society needs to understand more about this and learn what it means.

Back tracking a bit here. If you know someone who seems to be off, struggling, using substances. Drinking too much, is depressed etc there are forms of conversing that might really help if there’s nothing else you can do. Learn how to communicate using an EBP such as CBT. It’s very easy to understand with some research, it’s used for effectiveness and time, and it can really change the thinking pattern that is regressive. It utilizes simple open ended questions that work to dispel these regressive thoughts in someone’s mind and it can help to turn their thinking away from what they’ve told themselves to be true over time.

Things like this are more effective than just saying I’m here to talk or “why” are you doing that or “dude you gotta stop” lol. I recommend people reach out and study the topic more, be involved, donate to your mental health clinics, push your politicians, but most of all utilize the research and help someone you know in a meaningful way. I’m not telling everyone to spend 10 minutes researching and go out and practice psychotherapy. I am saying however that there are EBP’s that can be easily understood by average people and you can use it in ways the person you’re talking to doesn’t even know is happening, but it helps. You’ll notice if you’re able to have the time with someone who reciprocates the conversation, they’ll want to talk to you more than most.

This is really, really well done. Thank you for posting this.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT