ADVERTISEMENT

Missing Out On Jasper and Moreno

There are now strong rumblings that Kentucky may miss-out on both Jasper Johnson and Malachi Moreno, with Alabama and UNC now looking like leaders for Jasper and Moreno possibly leaning towards Indiana. What's everyone thoughts on possibly missing out on two, high-profile in-state kids to our rivals? It's very rare that the state of Kentucky produces two top-30 highschool prospects, and even more rare that neither may not be suiting up in Kentucky blue.

EDIT: Just seen the similar post about this topic, however, cannot read the OP's message to due having white font lol.
I believe when it's all said & done that we get both Moreno & Jasper Johnson. Just can't believe that a kid with as many ties to UK as Jasper Johnson has that he won't come here. And the fact that fellow Kentuckian Malachi Moreno just committed to UK will only help Mark Pope with the recruitment of Johnson.

I'm way more worried about success in the transfer portal than I am recruiting 5 star 17 year old's now.
It seems like those who keep talking about Cal's recruiting success thinks recruiting success has replaced winning championships when evaluating a coach's success. Those who keep celebrating Cal's recruiting success only reminds the fans that he wasn't able to do very much with his embarrassment of riches.

I would rather have Mullins if I had to chose between he and Jasper Johnson. Best shooter in high school basketball, does more than that, rebounds very well (over 6 per game), 3.2 assist, 3.2 steals per game. A total package. While Jasper is very good, his is not a great shooter, and turns it over a ton. Very streaky, when he gets hot, look out, but when he is cold, he presses and takes bad shots and turns it over,,, a bunch. A poor mans D"Angelo Russell. Both 6-4, Mullins the better overall prospect and will fit Pope's system better. Jasper will want to "get his" and will demand a ton of shots per game. Shooting over 8 3's a game at a 26% clip is not idea for team unity.

I would rather have Mullins if I had to chose between he and Jasper Johnson. Best shooter in high school basketball, does more than that, rebounds very well (over 6 per game), 3.2 assist, 3.2 steals per game. A total package. While Jasper is very good, his is not a great shooter, and turns it over a ton. Very streaky, when he gets hot, look out, but when he is cold, he presses and takes bad shots and turns it over,,, a bunch. A poor mans D"Angelo Russell. Both 6-4, Mullins the better overall prospect and will fit Pope's system better. Jasper will want to "get his" and will demand a ton of shots per game. Shooting over 8 3's a game at a 26% clip is not idea for team unity.
They play 2 different positions

Reactions: Blueblood4life2024
It seems like those who keep talking about Cal's recruiting success thinks recruiting success has replaced winning championships when evaluating a coach's success. Those who keep celebrating Cal's recruiting success only reminds the fans that he wasn't able to do very much with his embarrassment of riches.

Spot on...

No one is saying it's not nice to get good freshman players but in the world of NIL you need a great mix of young and veteran players.

But most of all you need a great X and O guy and I believe Pope is that dude.

Lesson 101

@Butters' Dad's opinion doesn't age like fine wine.

It ages like that crust mustard-colored piss that gets stuck in the area of the toilet bowl just below the rim.

As a long time fan of South Park, the character of Butter’s dad on the show is a closeted homosexual and frequent bath house attendee with a complete lack of self awareness. A true hypocrite in every sense. If that’s what @Butters' Dad is trying to channel, then I’d say he’s done a masterful job.

As a long time fan of South Park, the character of Butter’s dad on the show is a closeted homosexual and frequent bath house attendee with a complete lack of self awareness. A true hypocrite in every sense. If that’s what @Butters' Dad is trying to channel, then I’d say he’s done a masterful job.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/xTdy8mVMn6qJqOjjOg" width="480" height="271" style="" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: CELTICAT
They play 2 different positions
Nope. Both are shooting / scoring guards. The difference is, one can shoot, the other can't. Jasper is NOT a PG, even if he was, Mullins still averages more assist than he does. You might want to learn a little before spouting off and calling people out. Jasper is more of a combo guard / scoring guard than a point guard.

Jasper Johnson is a southpaw scoring guard who has spurts of extreme tough shot-making when he gets hot. He has a super soft natural touch and is very crafty around the lane with a deep bag of runners, floaters, and other types of finishes, in addition to the jumpers and step-backs he’s capable of making from the perimeter. Physically, Johnson is lean, but he’s very long with a recorded +5 wingspan. In addition to building up his body, he also needs to learn to impact the game more when the ball isn’t in his hands, or more specifically, when he’s not on one of his scoring sprees.

H.S. Athletic Background​

Jasper Johnson is a 6-4, 170-pound Combo Guard from Versailles, KY.

sper Johnson​

Default Avatar

Join Elite
Class2025
  • PositionSG
  • HT6-4
  • WT170
  • High SchoolOvertime Elite
  • HometownLexington, KY
Player search

As a Recruit​

Industry98.39
Ranking
Natl.11SG4GA3
Class2025
Committed-
On3 DB / Jasper Johnson
As a College Recruit
Jasper Johnson is a lefty with nice size and good length. What he does is shoot the ball. Johnson has deep range that extends well beyond the three-point arc, and he is at he’s best in catch and shoot or with one/two dribble pull-ups. Would like to see Johnson tighten the handle, can struggle once he is in the paint, especially going right. Lacks blow by burst off the bounce at this point but he is a good straight line athlete with a head of steam.. Has a crafty lay-up package around the basket, especially with the left hand. Solid explosion with a running start. Can get beat off the bounce in

per Johnson is an athletic wing with unlimited shooting range who is a top 10 player in the 2025 recruiting class. (Bill Caine/Woodford Sun)
Link (Mo.) Academy coach Bill Armstrong has 21 years of college coaching experience and has helped recruit three McDonald’s All-Americans, 24 all-Southeastern Conference selections and 10 NBA players.

Armstrong understands how special junior guard Jasper Johnson can be. The 6-5 guard transferred from Woodford County High School this season to play for Link and had a spectacular 37-point performance in his homecoming game at Woodford against Huntington Prep.

I keep forgetting things will change this season. My list of new things are:

- We are going to play zone!
- We will have actual plays ran.
- Our coach will make in-game adjustments.
- We have upperclass players now! Actual seniors on senior night.
- Mid-major schools won’t actually have a chance.

Amazing how stuck some of us can get with the mentality that the above isn’t possible. It will take some time to change. Change is always good.

Last edited:
Reactions: LmdCat
Nope. Both are shooting / scoring guards. The difference is, one can shoot, the other can't. Jasper is NOT a PG, even if he was, Mullins still averages more assist than he does. You might want to learn a little before spouting off and calling people out. Jasper is more of a combo guard / scoring guard than a point guard.

He brings the ball up court. ESPN has him as a PG as well as the title of the attached link. kid has awesome handles. He is a PG. I have seen him play PG in HS and AAU. I wasn’t calling you out.

We already got Moreno and I think it just a matter of time before Johnson follows because I think his uncle played FB at Ky and Moreno has been in his ear so has has Shep.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT