ADVERTISEMENT

Miss the days when college basketball was not about money

You like watching games in real time or do you also prefer watching a tape delay at 11:30pm? I know what you are saying OP, and I don't disagree with most of it, but everyone should have seen this train coming.

There is a difference between Capitalism and what most of this country operates under right now. Greed and corruption are bad for everyone, even Capitalists.

The current situation is what happens when safeguards aren't put into place, and when the safeguards that are in place aren't enforced. Everyone knew there was a corrupt culture going on behind the curtain of sports that involved everyone from boosters to the refs. The thing about corruption is that it only gets worse, never better.

The money was still there lol.. we just didn't see it as much.

I don't really care about NIL and paying players. What I want to see is getting rid of this ability for players to transfer unlimited times and have no setbacks for it. Really wish they would reinstitute the rule that you have to sit out a year, or make it so you can only transfer once. They have to start allowing coaches to create a roster better. This era where the player holds all the cards in the matter, is not good.
Exactly money isn’t the biggest issue . It’s guys transferring after every season when things don’t go their way . Hell guys been hitting the portal after being in a good situation .

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Me too. College hoops just not as fun anymore. It’s whoever can throw together new teams each year and win. I was courtside for the loss to UNC in Birmingham in ‘95. That loss really hurt. However, I knew the dudes were coming back and ‘96 was coming. That helped me cope. I was a student at Uk at the time. All teams were like that during those years. You knew who was going to be good, bc guys stayed at schools and built something.

Reactions: Kybluedude and UK90
I don’t know that it’s always been about money. There used to be gambling. Now there still is, but there is also:
TV/Cable networks/ shoe deals / and a host of other endorsements.
NBA players used to have to carry regular jobs in the offseason just to make a living. They played for the game. College kids did too, then as a means to pay for college and the perks of being a BMOC.
As more revenue was generated, it’s only right that the players get a taste.
It’s just kind of wild that we live in such wild prosperity that people get crazy rich playing, coaching, broadcasting a game.
The same can be said about other forms of entertainment.
As a society, we REALLY value being entertained. I don’t know if that’s really cool or really pathetic. I know that I’m as guilty as anyone.

Reactions: entropy13
Right or wrong, the OP is one of my favorites that I've read here in a long time. What I wouldn't give to hear Cawood telling me that the "Cats are moving left to right on your radio dial."

If you're not old enough to remember it, good on ya. But, it was the way I fell in love with my Cats.

GBB

Me too. College hoops just not as fun anymore. It’s whoever can throw together new teams each year and win. I was courtside for the loss to UNC in Birmingham in ‘95. That loss really hurt. However, I knew the dudes were coming back and ‘96 was coming. That helped me cope. I was a student at Uk at the time. All teams were like that during those years. You knew who was going to be good, bc guys stayed at schools and built something.
Yep, I recall that from the very beginning of the 94-95 season people were already projecting that 96 would be the really big year. And sure enough, that’s exactly how it played out.

Back then you always had a pretty good idea what next year’s team would look like. But now you have no idea until around mid-summer. We could have nearly an entirely different roster in just a couple months. Who will be on it? Who knows. Depends upon who our NIL money buys in the transfer portal.

Reactions: Kybluedude
It’s always been about money. Everything is about money. This will take some getting used to seeing the money out in the open. But at the end of the day, this is America. I support capitalism and I don’t agree with any entity telling an adult American that they cannot earn a living. Especially while said entity lines their pockets off the backs of the athletes they forbid to earn a wage.
It’s called amateur sports for a reason. While I don’t think anyone thought student athletes didn’t deserve a stipend of some kind due to schedules and inability to get a job like other students, it’s gone the complete opposite. From no money to unlimited money. For those who don’t play professionally they will be taking a huge pay cut when they leave college. Meanwhile non athletic students are leaving with 6 figure student loan debts that most will never be able to repay and ultimately written off for our taxes to cover.

I agree with the OP on all fronts. Specifically on how the game has changed from the quick first step (traveling in my day), the cross over (carrying in my day), and the ability for inside guys to just bump their way as deep as they can get and any defensive resistance is awarded with a foul. It’s just not a fluid game any longer.

It’s called amateur sports for a reason. While I don’t think anyone thought student athletes didn’t deserve a stipend of some kind due to schedules and inability to get a job like other students, it’s gone the complete opposite. From no money to unlimited money. For those who don’t play professionally they will be taking a huge pay cut when they leave college. Meanwhile non athletic students are leaving with 6 figure student loan debts that most will never be able to repay and ultimately written off for our taxes to cover.

I agree with the OP on all fronts. Specifically on how the game has changed from the quick first step (traveling in my day), the cross over (carrying in my day), and the ability for inside guys to just bump their way as deep as they can get and any defensive resistance is awarded with a foul. It’s just not a fluid game any longer.
well "technically" they are still playing as amateurs since they aren't getting paid to play per say. But we all know, it's semantics. For me they were never truly amateurs because they get a free ride play (some of them) and that degree is worth something. But I did always take issue with the name and likeness restrictions. You can play a sport as an amateur you should still be allowed to get paid to do a commercial in my opinion. Now the NCAA has done a poor job regulating how money is allowed to be dispersed but I still think overall its the right thing to do to allow them to earn a wage now.

All things change and I am surprised it took them this long.

It’s always been about money. Everything is about money. This will take some getting used to seeing the money out in the open. But at the end of the day, this is America. I support capitalism and I don’t agree with any entity telling an adult American that they cannot earn a living. Especially while said entity lines their pockets off the backs of the athletes they forbid to earn a wage.
Excellent post…reasonable…”things” change.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Hate to tell yah but it's always been about the money, now the kids actually doing the work and the playing are getting their part. What a load of crap that is. Who's with me? Basketball amateurs didn't pave the way for this, Olympians did. Well deserved in my book Nancy

Go Cats!

Venting.

I hate that every college basketball decision seems to be based on money. Coaches way overpaid making multi millions to coach ball after getting their free degree in physical education. AD ‘s much the same. Many of these guys pale in skill to some HS coaches I know.

Players shopping for pay to play. Agents representing teen age HS players. Multi portal transfers. Everybody with their hand out. Multi million recruiting budgets.

Money diverted from academics to fund the athletic arms race. Tuition rising making it so difficult for families and kids who truly want a degree. Yet players who can’t put 2 sentences together are making life money. I’m sure big money that was once earmarked to help regular students is now diverted to nil collectives to help an entitled few.

Million dollar buyouts to switch jobs or worse yet to get dismissed after failure in the job.

Don’t like the constant barrage of the terms physicality, toughness and fight describing college basketball. It was a skill oriented finesse game when I started watching. Not bumping guys off their routes, a wrestling match down low and a bull rush to the basket.

It wasn’t a game of basketball mercenaries. Miss those days when I watched UK knowing that we were building a solid long term foundation. Watching them mature and develop over years. Recruiting a couple freshmen to replace the 4 year graduating seniors.

It’s just changed. I realize many might like the change. I’m a live and let live guy so it is what it is but in my post season UK depression I’m still sulking. It just doesn’t seem as much fun and pure.

Like that Purdue has 10 home grown Indiana players representing their state. Couple redshirt kids. Who does that anymore? Hell looking at that I wish all teams had to play with over 50% of their in state players.
It has been about money for along time. You just didn’t hear about it.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
Venting.

I hate that every college basketball decision seems to be based on money. Coaches way overpaid making multi millions to coach ball after getting their free degree in physical education. AD ‘s much the same. Many of these guys pale in skill to some HS coaches I know.

Players shopping for pay to play. Agents representing teen age HS players. Multi portal transfers. Everybody with their hand out. Multi million recruiting budgets.

Money diverted from academics to fund the athletic arms race. Tuition rising making it so difficult for families and kids who truly want a degree. Yet players who can’t put 2 sentences together are making life money. I’m sure big money that was once earmarked to help regular students is now diverted to nil collectives to help an entitled few.

Million dollar buyouts to switch jobs or worse yet to get dismissed after failure in the job.

Don’t like the constant barrage of the terms physicality, toughness and fight describing college basketball. It was a skill oriented finesse game when I started watching. Not bumping guys off their routes, a wrestling match down low and a bull rush to the basket.

It wasn’t a game of basketball mercenaries. Miss those days when I watched UK knowing that we were building a solid long term foundation. Watching them mature and develop over years. Recruiting a couple freshmen to replace the 4 year graduating seniors.

It’s just changed. I realize many might like the change. I’m a live and let live guy so it is what it is but in my post season UK depression I’m still sulking. It just doesn’t seem as much fun and pure.

Like that Purdue has 10 home grown Indiana players representing their state. Couple redshirt kids. Who does that anymore? Hell looking at that I wish all teams had to play with over 50% of their in state players.
What universe have you been in it's always been about money now its legal

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
Recruiting is now an absolute bitch. Coaches can no longer just recruit a player who is the right for for the program, they now have to be negotiators and deal with money hungry handlers. I agree with a previous post, they must bring back that players must sit out a year. This is ridiculous.

Reactions: littlecreek
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT