ADVERTISEMENT

Miss the days when college basketball was not about money

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
Venting.

I hate that every college basketball decision seems to be based on money. Coaches way overpaid making multi millions to coach ball after getting their free degree in physical education. AD ‘s much the same. Many of these guys pale in skill to some HS coaches I know.

Players shopping for pay to play. Agents representing teen age HS players. Multi portal transfers. Everybody with their hand out. Multi million recruiting budgets.

Money diverted from academics to fund the athletic arms race. Tuition rising making it so difficult for families and kids who truly want a degree. Yet players who can’t put 2 sentences together are making life money. I’m sure big money that was once earmarked to help regular students is now diverted to nil collectives to help an entitled few.

Million dollar buyouts to switch jobs or worse yet to get dismissed after failure in the job.

Don’t like the constant barrage of the terms physicality, toughness and fight describing college basketball. It was a skill oriented finesse game when I started watching. Not bumping guys off their routes, a wrestling match down low and a bull rush to the basket.

It wasn’t a game of basketball mercenaries. Miss those days when I watched UK knowing that we were building a solid long term foundation. Watching them mature and develop over years. Recruiting a couple freshmen to replace the 4 year graduating seniors.

It’s just changed. I realize many might like the change. I’m a live and let live guy so it is what it is but in my post season UK depression I’m still sulking. It just doesn’t seem as much fun and pure.

Like that Purdue has 10 home grown Indiana players representing their state. Couple redshirt kids. Who does that anymore? Hell looking at that I wish all teams had to play with over 50% of their in state players.

Back in those days, you could actually remember the names of players years after they left. I can hardly remember any of them anymore. They are only here a year and gone and most never heard from again unless they come back to get a free education. I also miss the real college basketball.

Back in those days, you could actually remember the names of players years after they left. I can hardly remember any of them anymore. They are only here a year and gone and most never heard from again unless they come back to get a free education. I also miss the real college basketball.
I hate to say it, but sometimes people on here post about a player from a few seasons ago, and I don't even remember him.

The money was still there lol.. we just didn't see it as much.

I don't really care about NIL and paying players. What I want to see is getting rid of this ability for players to transfer unlimited times and have no setbacks for it. Really wish they would reinstitute the rule that you have to sit out a year, or make it so you can only transfer once. They have to start allowing coaches to create a roster better. This era where the player holds all the cards in the matter, is not good.

Last edited:
Venting.

I hate that every college basketball decision seems to be based on money. Coaches way overpaid making multi millions to coach ball after getting their free degree in physical education. AD ‘s much the same. Many of these guys pale in skill to some HS coaches I know.

Players shopping for pay to play. Agents representing teen age HS players. Multi portal transfers. Everybody with their hand out. Multi million recruiting budgets.

Money diverted from academics to fund the athletic arms race. Tuition rising making it so difficult for families and kids who truly want a degree. Yet players who can’t put 2 sentences together are making life money. I’m sure big money that was once earmarked to help regular students is now diverted to nil collectives to help an entitled few.

Million dollar buyouts to switch jobs or worse yet to get dismissed after failure in the job.

Don’t like the constant barrage of the terms physicality, toughness and fight describing college basketball. It was a skill oriented finesse game when I started watching. Not bumping guys off their routes, a wrestling match down low and a bull rush to the basket.

It wasn’t a game of basketball mercenaries. Miss those days when I watched UK knowing that we were building a solid long term foundation. Watching them mature and develop over years. Recruiting a couple freshmen to replace the 4 year graduating seniors.

It’s just changed. I realize many might like the change. I’m a live and let live guy so it is what it is but in my post season UK depression I’m still sulking. It just doesn’t seem as much fun and pure.

Like that Purdue has 10 home grown Indiana players representing their state. Couple redshirt kids. Who does that anymore? Hell looking at that I wish all teams had to play with over 50% of their in state players.
Money under or on the table has always been an influencer.
It like gambling , is no longer having to lurk in the shadows.

I hate to say it, but sometimes people on here post about a player from a few seasons ago, and I don't even remember him.
Glad to hear that, thought I was becoming senile as I have that similar problem from time to time. The players and names seem to be a blur to me any longer as they are here for just a blip of time and gone. I don't watch much of any NBA other than an occasional playoff game so I lose track of some of our former players that people mention on this board. I guess we will never see a return to the multi year player rosters but those were much more fun times for following college basketball.

I don't really care about NIL and paying players. What I want to see is getting rid of this ability for players to transfer unlimited times and have no setbacks for it. Really wish they would reinstitute the rule that you have to sit put a year, or make it so you can only transfer once. They have to start allowing coaches to create a roster better. This era where the player holds all the cards in the matter, is not good.

Was going to say the movie Blue Chips came out over 30 years ago now, and that was after two solid decades of players getting paid under the table.

It’s always been about money. Everything is about money. This will take some getting used to seeing the money out in the open. But at the end of the day, this is America. I support capitalism and I don’t agree with any entity telling an adult American that they cannot earn a living. Especially while said entity lines their pockets off the backs of the athletes they forbid to earn a wage.

I don't really care about NIL and paying players. What I want to see is getting rid of this ability for players to transfer unlimited times and have no setbacks for it. Really wish they would reinstitute the rule that you have to sit put a year, or make it so you can only transfer once. They have to start allowing coaches to create a roster better. This era where the player holds all the cards in the matter, is not good.
Going to have to tell coaches they can't leave unless they get fired then.

Going to have to tell coaches they can't leave unless they get fired then.

I don't understand this fascination of making the coaches follow the same rules as the players. Why? In your work place, do you get all the same liberties and freedom that your CEO gets? Is Patrick Mahomes able to just transfer to Buffalo tomorrow if he wants?

Look at how it works in the pro sports (which college basketball might as well be now, anyways). Players don't get to just walk away lol. You're on a contract, and coaches can still leave or get fired, at will. And no one seems to have a problem with that.

We have to create some level of roster consistency in the college game, or else the product will suffer and coaches are going to call it quits. And no one is saying that a player CAN'T transfer. That was never the case before, anyways. They just need to have some skin in the game, so running to your 4th team in 4 years, all because you didn't get 34mpg, doesn't happen anymore.

A sports show guy, forget who, had a great point about all this.

The players are getting a ton of things in their favor lately. They're getting paid, they can transfer at will, etc. But that comes with a price. The players are now becoming employees, and you're going to see some instances in due time, where an under-performing player gets "fired" (losses their NIL money), for someone else who is better. It's a double edged sword.

You wanted to create a system where you get paid? Fine. Welcome to the real world.

It’s always been about money. Everything is about money. This will take some getting used to seeing the money out in the open. But at the end of the day, this is America. I support capitalism and I don’t agree with any entity telling an adult American that they cannot earn a living. Especially while said entity lines their pockets off the backs of the athletes they forbid to earn a wage.
While I agree with you in supporting the players getting their fair share of the money, I can still pine for the basketball that I grew up watching. Guys like Patrick Ewing, Michael Jordan, Chris Mullen, Kenny Walker, David Robinson, Shaq, Alonzo Mourning, Grant Hill, Jamal Mashburn, Penny Hardaway, Glenn Robinson etc. playing for one team and becoming all-Americans their junior and/or senior years.

A sports show guy, forget who, had a great point about all this.

The players are getting a ton of things in their favor lately. They're getting paid, they can transfer at will, etc. But that comes with a price. The players are now becoming employees, and you're going to see some instances in due time, where an under-performing player gets "fired" (losses their NIL money), for someone else who is better. It's a double edged sword.

You wanted to create a system where you get paid? Fine. Welcome to the real world.
Interesting. Heard the suggestion to charge them for tuition room and board?

Glad to hear that, thought I was becoming senile as I have that similar problem from time to time. The players and names seem to be a blur to me any longer as they are here for just a blip of time and gone. I don't watch much of any NBA other than an occasional playoff game so I lose track of some of our former players that people mention on this board. I guess we will never see a return to the multi year player rosters but those were much more fun times for following college basketball.
My problem is time is FLYING as I get older. Someone will mention a name and I'm thinking there is no way that was 7-10 years.

Reactions: ORCAT
Money has ruined all sports
Feels like money ruins everything because when I was growing up it never seemed like money dictated almost every decision. Now it seems like companies and corporations only look out for their stockholders and high level management.

Reactions: sefleming
Money has always been there from the UK point shaving scandal in the 1950s through $100 handshakes as recently as the early 2010s. It’s just out in the open today.

I miss the days when everyone but immensely talented players stayed all 4 years as well.

But that ship has long since sailed and the way I see it, I can either adapt to the new college basketball landscape or yell into the void for a bygone era that’s gone forever.

Now it seems like companies and corporations only look out for their stockholders and high level management.
Welcome to capitalism. It's always about chasing the short term money to keep the stockholders happy because if you don't keep them happy they'll fire you.

Reactions: Tubbyfan78
415db8a3-cace-4fa8-aad8-21b327106ab4_text.gif

Those days are gone and never coming back. There was also plenty of money going to athletes under the table before NIL.

I have no issues remembering most of the players whether 1 year or 4. If you win a lot in one year I'll remember you. If you didn't do nothing in 3 or 4 years I wish I couldn't remember you but I do.

Reactions: chroix
John Wall will have arrived on campus 15 years ago this upcoming season. That is insane!
It really doesn't seem possible for us older folk. I turn 52 in May :(. My husband and I will have 104 years between us.

Well, it’s always been about money to some extent.

But now it’s just SO totally, in your face, blatant that it’s all about money that fans can no longer hide their eyes from that stuff and pretend it’s about other things like we used to do.

But’ yeah, I also miss those days. Not sure I would’ve ever become an avid college sports fan if it had been this way in my formative years.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Purdue is a dinosaur. A roster constructed based on the old system where players stayed four years, players redshirt for development, they don’t rely on one-year rentals (only one transfer), and a local in-state recruiting focus.

This Purdue team may be the last time we’ll see a roster constructed that way contend for a national title. Even Painter will have to change his ways after Edey leaves if he wants to stay competitive in this new NIL/transfer portal era.

Money also ruined what little integrity the NCAA had. Used to be if you break the rules you were scared and would be begging the NCAA to not give you severe punishment.

The FBI pay for play long before it was legal resulted in basically nothing. Imagine how much would have actually came of that if the NCAA investigated and tried to get to the bottom of it instead of some doofus that said we know your plays better come confess like the FBI did.

When you make $3 billion in three weeks or whatever ridiculous money it is, the organization as a whole cannot treat teams equally any longer apparently.

Money always corrupted things but even now the system still is awful. Beg fans for money to pay your players while the schools take in record money. Spend hundreds if not thousands to go to a game with your family and then hey we need more or we can’t afford a good team next time you are here.

Wild times.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Well, it’s always been about money to some extent.

But now it’s just SO totally, in your face, blatant that it’s all about money that fans can no longer hide their eyes from that stuff and pretend it’s about other things like we used to do.

But’ yeah, I also miss those days. Not sure I would’ve ever become an avid college sports fan if it had been this way in my formative years.
Exactly.

I find myself more and more watching and supporting HS sports. Football, basketball and baseball - everything- all very good. Enjoy it. Pretty high level of play. Lots of good teams, players and coaches.

Supporting my old HS and their teams has been very enjoyable.

Last edited:
I miss the underhand shot, no 3 point line and actually dribbling with hand on top of ball instead of carrying the ball every single dribble.

I don’t have much sympathy for these college athletes. Even before NIL they got a lot of perks, top medical care, meals, and clothing. While my kids worked 2-3 jobs while in school and still had student loan debt. When the college I graduated from gave my daughter a ticket while she was unloading her car at her dorm instead of having to walk a half a mile with her stuff I stopped right then giving my donations to them. When the regular kids stop going and the fans quit going to see inferior play then maybe they can go broke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT