ADVERTISEMENT

Miserable Week Awaiting

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
Having a full week between games and losing to a mid-major on your home court is going to just give us a full week to marinate in this loss, and it will be nothing but misery here. I'll be checking in but not posting much.

Merry Christmas to all of you! I suggest finding some kind of distraction this week. :D

giphy.gif

Having a full week between games and losing to a mid-major on your home court is going to just give us a full week to marinate in this loss, and it will be nothing but misery here. I'll be checking in but not posting much.

Merry Christmas to all of you! I suggest finding some kind of distraction this week. :D
Drinking helps but brings about other issues

It’s funny how sports work out. Last week we were all riding high from beating UL in football and picking up a top 10 win in basketball. We were the talk of bball for a few days, now it’s back to the hand wringing.

I still think this team can go far, but beating a top 10 team and following it up with a home loss to a mid major sums up the last several years of UK basketball. Get a little momentum, only to take a step backwards right after.

I'm reading through the Tom Clancy Jack Ryan series and also the Michael Connelly Bosch series. Both good series.

GTA 6 reveal trailer tomorrow for the gamers on here.

You can also go talk about the college football drama and bowls on the football board.

I agree the loss Saturday took all the sails out of the season. Need to beat unc and UL by double digits to get me any bit excited heading into 2024.

It’s funny how sports work out. Last week we were all riding high from beating UL in football and picking up a top 10 win in basketball. We were the talk of bball for a few days, now it’s back to the hand wringing.

I still think this team can go far, but beating a top 10 team and following it up with a home loss to a mid major sums up the last several years of UK basketball. Get a little momentum, only to take a step backwards right after.
Yeah, I completely agree with you WeWant9. I was afraid this young team might read too many headlines and begin to think too highly of themselves. Add in that Bradshaw was coming back and it was almost like the team just expected to show up and win. We lost that game in the first half. Fell behind early and let them have the first half. And when we finally did take the lead, it felt like the team half expected Wilmington to just roll over at that point, but they punched back.

I do believe this team can have a great season. The talent is there. The potential is there. Get Bradshaw ready and I believe he will become a key addition. But the maturity to be ready each time out is what is missing. That should come in time. This loss could be a positive in the end if it leads to them growing up a bit and stop taking people lightly. The defense is the key issue. If we've learned anything, it's this- teams love coming to Rupp and showing what they can do. Every single team we've played this season has played well at Rupp. Might as well get ready for it- they're coming and they're gonna hit their threes. Better defend. Better wake up. Better grow up. No excuses.

I used to get pissed about the losses and let it affect my mood. As I have grown older and priorities change, I don't get as mad over a loss. Still passionate about the program, but doesn't affect me like it used to. I'm sure starting a family has something to do with that.

No misery here
I’m headed to Vegas in less than two weeks
So busy getting Christmas done beforehand and preparing for my trip

Merry Christmas to you too

The loss probably Helped me .
after the Wisconsin loss I was depressed over a month . Nothing seemed fun. I promised myself I would never again get so emotionally involved with a UK basketball team.
After watching the Miami game I was really really about to break that promise . Already had them in the final four thinking they could win it all.
But Wilmington brought me back to reality . Thank you Wilmington . I guess ?

I used to get pissed about the losses and let it affect my mood. As I have grown older and priorities change, I don't get as mad over a loss. Still passionate about the program, but doesn't affect me like it used to. I'm sure starting a family has something to do with that.
I’m there with you, but for some reason this one really ruined my day

Reactions: MWes11
Yeah, I completely agree with you WeWant9. I was afraid this young team might read too many headlines and begin to think too highly of themselves. Add in that Bradshaw was coming back and it was almost like the team just expected to show up and win. We lost that game in the first half. Fell behind early and let them have the first half. And when we finally did take the lead, it felt like the team half expected Wilmington to just roll over at that point, but they punched back.

I do believe this team can have a great season. The talent is there. The potential is there. Get Bradshaw ready and I believe he will become a key addition. But the maturity to be ready each time out is what is missing. That should come in time. This loss could be a positive in the end if it leads to them growing up a bit and stop taking people lightly. The defense is the key issue. If we've learned anything, it's this- teams love coming to Rupp and showing what they can do. Every single team we've played this season has played well at Rupp. Might as well get ready for it- they're coming and they're gonna hit their threes. Better defend. Better wake up. Better grow up. No excuses.
The lack of effort and fight pisses me off more than anything. Yeah, Cal is not Cal anymore, etc. We've discussed that ad nauseum. But to see the lack of heart from even dudes like Shep (up until the second half)? Man that was discouraging. We were supposed to have DAWGS this year. Dudes that didn't like getting punched in the mouth and when they did get hit in the mouth, they start laughing. Frustrated the crap out of me. Thought this group, especially this group after showing fight during the KU game and the Miami beatdown, was above it.

I'm not giving up on them by any means. But they better come out this Saturday and TORCH Penn. And I mean TORCH them.

I think the apathy is too strong towards the program now. People just don’t care so much anymore. Which is worse than hordes of angry fans.
I’ve stopped getting upset. Not sure if it’s age or just apathy, or a mix of the two. There’s no reason why this program should be losing at home like this. I think it’s a culture issue.

No misery here
I’m headed to Vegas in less than two weeks
So busy getting Christmas done beforehand and preparing for my trip

Merry Christmas to you too
Now listen young lady, don't be getting all crazy and wild out there.

But Have fun! 🙂

The team can use the week.
Agreed but Cal is going to work on perfecting that in-bound play for Bradshaw to post his man, lob it to him. reverse to the top of the key and start the weave.

And that D where the goal is to funnel the ball handler to the lane for the non-existing shot blocker resulting in either a layup or a kick out 3 when the D is forced to collapse.

Those things take time.

I don’t think this is that bad. We got a really clear picture of what is broken. Some of it is going to take some player sacrifice to fix. This offense everyone was so hyped about was a fantasy, attributable to better spacing and passing. Shooting is going to come and go. Right now, the massive gap is defense. We scored over 70. If you care for business on the defensive end, that’s enough for a W.

I think the coaching staff needs to return to the dogma, no defense, no play. That includes everyone. We do that, we win the last game and the vast majority going forward.

It's hard for a UK fan to think ahead these day's because there's no such thing as a guaranteed victory with Cal. It sucks.

I’ve stopped getting upset. Not sure if it’s age or just apathy, or a mix of the two. There’s no reason why this program should be losing at home like this. I think it’s a culture issue.
For me it’s not age it’s definitely the toll of losing games like Saturday constantly underperforming the traditional standards of our program. I love uk basketball there’s nothing like walking into rupp approaching the section your seating it and walking into see all the tradition in the rafters the players warming up to uphold that. Nothing like it. Maybe removing big Bertha was a hex on the program because there is a correlation lol

I don't think one person on this board truly knows what "MISERY" really is.

Sports don't make the list...

Things to be Miserable about:
1. Death of a loved one
2. Losing a job
3. Losing a Home
4. Serious Health Issues
5. Chronic Pain for self or loved one
6. Witnessing the Mental\Physical decline of a loved one
7. Hunger
8. Addiction
9. PTSD
10. Depression\Anxiety

I don't think one person on this board truly knows what "MISERY" really is.

Sports don't make the list...

Things to be Miserable about:
1. Death of a loved one
2. Losing a job
3. Losing a Home
4. Serious Health Issues
5. Chronic Pain for self or loved one
6. Witnessing the Mental\Physical decline of a loved one
7. Hunger
8. Addiction
9. PTSD
10. Depression\Anxiety

Wanna bet?

Check me off for Number 1 (x3), Number 5, Number 6 (x2), Number 10 for both. And Number 9 wouldn't surprise me, but it's never been official.

And I use sports, especially UK BBall as a distraction and escape.

When it's struggling like I've struggled, it's not very fun to partake in.

Is the Penn game a true road game on their court or at least somewhat neutral court (though still in Philly)?

Same. I think it was because we FINALLY saw a return to Kentucky Basketball and getting a HUGE OOC win only to have it yanked away AGAIN.
I texted my friend (he’s a Cal apologist) before the UNC Wil game that I was actually excited to watch games again, first time in years

Then we lost and honestly, I was kinda like meh, maybe I really am just apathetic to it now. I just shook it off and had some hot cocoa and went on with my life.

As far as a week without games, I would like having something to watch but this close to Christmas, I’ll be watching Christmas movies every night. I absolutely love Christmas. I’m also a big baseball card collector and enjoy the card community on YouTube so I have plenty to watch

Reactions: CGblue and Blueaz
I texted my friend (he’s a Cal apologist) before the UNC Wil game that I was actually excited to watch games again, first time in years

Then we lost and honestly, I was kinda like meh, maybe I really am just apathetic to it now. I just shook it off and had some hot cocoa and went on with my life.

As far as a week without games, I would like having something to watch but this close to Christmas, I’ll be watching Christmas movies every night. I absolutely love Christmas. I’m also a big baseball card collector and enjoy the card community on YouTube so I have plenty to watch
Yeah I love card collecting in general and spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos though I'm more into collecting trading card game cards (Pokemon and Magic) than sports cards now. I've also gone well down the YouTube rabbit hole of true crime channels and some travel channels (fun to see people explore first-hand parts of the world I'll never get to see). Fun to have these interests to fall back on and not just UK basketball outcomes which are way too unpredictable.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT