ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota 5-7 bowl bid

Does anyone dispute there's too many bowl games when there aren't enough mediocre (6-6) teams to fill all the slots? Depending on the location, maybe a few MN fans will travel just to leave the frozen tundra. But, there can't be any excitement about a bowl game for a 5-7 team. And the opponent has to be pissed off that they're saddled with playing a below-.500 team in their bowl game.

Does anyone dispute there's too many bowl games when there aren't enough mediocre (6-6) teams to fill all the slots? Depending on the location, maybe a few MN fans will travel just to leave the frozen tundra. But, there can't be any excitement about a bowl game for a 5-7 team. And the opponent has to be pissed off that they're saddled with playing a below-.500 team in their bowl game.
I will never complain about more football.

strong academics let’s five win teams qualify.
Okay I know during covid this happened with teams due to playing in conference teams which included uk but man if I was a Minnesota fan this would be embarrassing thanks academics okay

Minn's PJ Fleck was a red hot coach a few years ago but he's struggled of late. Have to think '24 has to be better for him to survive.
Nah. Like Kentucky I think Minnesota has perspective on what they are and can achieve. Unless they bomb to 2 or 3 wins he is safe because the risk of replacing him with someone not as good is high.
This game will get far better ratings for ESPN than any college basketball game they televise this week. Seems like a good crowd. Personally I'm loving it, no other sport or show I'd watch now at 3 pm on Tues afternoon.

People are gonna watch terrible football just because they don't have anything better to do. It's also the last chance to watch college football until September so even crap bowls are better than nothing.

There are definitely way too many bowl games but if they bring ratings they aren't ever gonna decrease the total.

Minnesota is still probably a better team than many of the other teams in Bowls who have better records.

Reactions: BigTyrone
There are too many bowls but this one is a decent one not cause of the teams which play in it but it is inside at the Lions field (who actually support the bowl well) and gives a quick/close trip for Big 10/MAC teams at the end of the year. It is down on the list of big ten bowl games so I don’t foresee it ever being a big game but it works.

Or works much better than a lot of the other bowls.

I'm not saying I don't understand why Minnesota would take it. That is obvious to anyone who really follows football. The practice time is crucial when you want to improve your team for the long term. Playing indoors... even better. Paycheck. Yes, thank you.

I'm sure the B1G pushed them to go as well for the conference paycheck and TV money. If you love football, you'd play bowl games any day up until spring practice started

I can remember where there was like 12 bowl games. You had to have a pretty darn good season to get an invite.

If sponsors are willing to foot the bill it’s not changing any time soon.
prior to ESPN and fox sports and CBS sports right

Reactions: Girthang
I can remember when I loved football more than I do now, and would've be thrilled to see this many bowl games. Never missed one growing up and was PISSED when they were scheduled at the same time.

prior to ESPN and fox sports and CBS sports right
Bowl games in the 70's were on ABC, NBC and CBS. New Years Day bowls were Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, Orange. Other non New Year Day Bowls from memory were Peach, Tangerine, Liberty, Independence, Gator and some I have forgotten. To make a Bowl was a big deal and every Stadium was full.

How does the Big Ten get these automatic bowl wins vs. the MAC and PAC 12 every year also while the 4-5 Ole Misses get the 8-1 Indianas of their conference. Stuff is a joke, how do those clowns end up with their TV deal(s)?

Big Ten
6 bowl games against the SEC
1 bowl game against the ACC
1 bowl game against the PAC 12
1 bowl game against the MAC

SEC
6 bowl games against the Big 10
1 bowl game against the Big 12
2 bowl games against the ACC

The head to head games are:
9 Mizzou vs 7 OSU
11 Ole Miss vs 10 Penn State
(6-6) Auburn vs (7-5) Maryland
13 LSU vs Wisconsin
21 UT vs 17 Iowa
4 Alabama vs 1 Michigan

Some pretty even match-ups. Will be interesting to see who comes out with the head to head.

Big Ten
6 bowl games against the SEC
1 bowl game against the ACC
1 bowl game against the PAC 12
1 bowl game against the MAC

SEC
6 bowl games against the Big 10
1 bowl game against the Big 12
2 bowl games against the ACC

The head to head games are:
9 Mizzou vs 7 OSU
11 Ole Miss vs 10 Penn State
(6-6) Auburn vs (7-5) Maryland
13 LSU vs Wisconsin
21 UT vs 17 Iowa
4 Alabama vs 1 Michigan

Some pretty even match-ups. Will be interesting to see who comes out with the head to head.
Usually just the three SEC/B1G tie-ins, with a matchup in CFP. Of course Ohio State draws Missouri…they start 3-0 before any SEC game is played.

Reactions: bthaunert
Yeah, I don’t get the. “Too many” bowl crap. There are only 3 games that mean anything really. Do you all want to cancel all the other bowls? The lessor bowls are a reward for teams and fans. No one is forced to watch them. Plus, you get the extra practice. It means something!
I've said many times....watch the reaction of the players that win the Whatever Bowl and tell me it doesn't mean anything.

Bowl games in the 70's were on ABC, NBC and CBS. New Years Day bowls were Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, Orange. Other non New Year Day Bowls from memory were Peach, Tangerine, Liberty, Independence, Gator and some I have forgotten. To make a Bowl was a big deal and every Stadium was full.
When I was a kid there were the four main bowls plus the Gator and maybe the Sun Bowl. All I remember from the early to mid ‘50s

I cut them some slack compared to some other teams. They at least play 9 conference games and played UNC in ooc.

The MAC and Sun Belt teams they played in the other two games both made bowls for whatever that means.

Last edited:
A few thoughts:

1. I love college football…the more games the better.
2. That game today had 29,000 fans. That’s a pretty good crowd.
3. The extra practice means nothing for the following year. People often talk about that. 2 weeks of practice 9 months before the following season when 1/4 of your roster turns over is very overrated.

A few thoughts:

3. The extra practice means nothing for the following year. People often talk about that. 2 weeks of practice 9 months before the following season when 1/4 of your roster turns over is very overrated.
Yeah, I can understand Gopher fans being upset that their losing record team is expected to have fans travel and pay for a bowl, and be called Gophers, but college football fans should just be happy they have games to watch.

Reactions: JDHoss
A few thoughts:

That practice/workout time is still important, since not having it is a big reason people transfer. Practicing while others can't is always important for development.

Reactions: JDHoss
Way too many. It’s ridiculous honestly. Nobody watches these crap bowls.

That’s simply not true.

1. UCLA and Boise St drew the same amount of viewers as the UK - UNC game last week.

2. The Miami (OH) - App State game last week drew almost 2 million viewers….more than the KU - IU basketball game last week. Heck, it had more viewers than the UK - KU game from last year.

So many states having legalized betting is one of the only reasons these game have “good” ratings, IMO. No normal human being turns on Miami(OH) and App State, etc. just to watch.

The other Saturday more watched UCLA-Boise mediocre bowl than top 10 CBB historic North Carolina-Kentucky matchup

If they didn't get good ratings ESPN would kill some. Because they own and show virtually all bowl games. But they are watched, even replays, so they ain't going away.

That practice/workout time is still important, since not having it is a big reason people transfer. Practicing while others can't is always important for development.
I don’t think there is any correlation between getting extra practices and number of transfers.

We will disagree on the extra 10ish days of practice. Between guys leaving (Leary, Davis, Phillips, Wallace, etc.) getting a lot of reps to prepare for the game and a lot of guys not here yet (Dumas-Johnson, Trayanum, Vandagriff, Cottrell, etc), I just believe it’s an often overstated importance of playing in a bowl game.

People are gonna watch terrible football just because they don't have anything better to do. It's also the last chance to watch college football until September so even crap bowls are better than nothing.

There are definitely way too many bowl games but if they bring ratings they aren't ever gonna decrease the total.
The host cities and bowl sponsors are definitely part of the equation as well. As long as people / corporations / quasi-government entities are willing and able to shell out the cash to put on a bowl game, expect the current system to continue.

One bowl that actually bit the dust was the Bluebonnet Bowl which I believe was played in Houston. Back then there maybe 14-15 bowl games; now I believe it’s 41 (?) (!).

So many states having legalized betting is one of the only reasons these game have “good” ratings, IMO. No normal human being turns on Miami(OH) and App State, etc. just to watch.
That’s just isn’tcorrect. It shows the popularity of college football. Online sports gambling became legal in 2018. I looked up the TV ratings for the 2015 college bowl season. There were 39 bowl games on national TV.

All 39 had over 1 million viewers
35 had over 1.5 million viewers
29 had over 2 million viewers
22 had over 3 million viewers

I watch any game that’s on TV. I don’t bet. It’s just a fact that college football is insanely popular and people will watch even the worst of the bowl games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT