ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Rutherford on KP

UL has completely pissed away everything that Denny Crum built there. They had a nice little thing going for quite a few years, but their envy of Big Brother led them to cheat and started the downward spiral. They couldn’t just be happy with what they had.

UL has completely pissed away everything that Denny Crum built there. They had a nice little thing going for quite a few years, but their envy of Big Brother led them to cheat and started the downward spiral. They couldn’t just be happy with what they had.
Crum did build UL into a relevant program and maintain that relevance for a number of years. Pitino had enough tricks up his sleeve and rabbits in his hat to give UL a decent run. In the end even Pitino had to resort to open and blatant cheating in order to try and maintain a competitive program.

They are now a bottom feeder in the ACC. If you take away Duke and UNC the ACC is no better than a half dozen other conferences with respect to putting a quality basketball product on the floor.

UL is on par with WKU and Murray St within the confines of the state of Kentucky. WKU may well be on the cusp of becoming the 2nd best basketball program in the state(if this new coach stays around for 3 or so years)

Kenny Payne isn't at fault, he is more of a victim of what UL really is as opposed to being a contributing factor. UL can't attract enough(or maybe any) of the type of players who can move the needle in a positive direction.

NIL does them no favors and the transfer portal is not their friend either. Payne had little chance of success when he got there and he has even less of a chance now.

So, you're going to ***k a guy over by putting him in one of the worst situations you could have initially put him in and then expect to get another guy to come in and have to start from the same place the guy you just fired stared from?

Makes sense.... to a moron.

The problem is UofL could draw a pretty big name coach if they wanted. Like it or not they are a Top 10-15 program historically. and with the Portal, the right coach with the right connections recruiting and a history of success elsewhere could turn them around rather quickly. Kenny had none of that and he was a couple of years removed from any sort of recruiting, so I have to think whatever connections he had, moved on to working with other programs and coaches. Just a disaster hire from Louisville all around.

Both of our Trojan horses did exactly what we had hoped . Took the first one a while but he finally got it done !

The problem is UofL could draw a pretty big name coach if they wanted. Like it or not they are a Top 10-15 program historically. and with the Portal, the right coach with the right connections recruiting and a history of success elsewhere could turn them around rather quickly. Kenny had none of that and he was a couple of years removed from any sort of recruiting, so I have to think whatever connections he had, moved on to working with other programs and coaches. Just a disaster hire from Louisville all around.
Pearl would be the perfect fit there . imo

I've always liked Kenny, but he's the enemy now and I am greatly enjoying the downfall of Louisville basketball. I'd say he's welcome back here as an assistant any time.

Reactions: ukfan041
The UL dumpster firs is so much fun to watch. It never ends and brings so much joy to so many people.
It has burned for a long time. It's kinda interesting how much gasoline former UK coaches have thrown on the flames.
Pop Tv Thank You GIF by Schitt's Creek

Some huge donors threatened to pull their money if Payne wasn`t hired to start with. Their fans can get as upset as they want too, but they are already paying coaches and AD`s who were fired, firing Payne would add to that expensive list. They just need to give him one more year and enjoy it.

Both of our Trojan horses did exactly what we had hoped . Took the first one a while but he finally got it done !
I’ve often wondered about that. Makes for good chatter with a louisville fan. Drive them even further over the edge. Pitino gave that conspiracy theory its legs by pointing out it was UK folks demanding his and Jurich firing. Like the folks down there couldn’t figure that out on their own????

A quote attributed to no one with made up allegations of who the “person” quoted is talking about. What a joke people are.

Last edited:
Yep Tommy Turtleneck was bound and determined to try to get Louisville the state brand a head of Kentucky. He lied and cheated and stole and did what ever he could do and in the end it cost Louisville big time . Unfortunately it didn’t cost that filthy scum near enough personally!

What coach would come to Louisville right now and take over the program. That is achievable for to get
My fear is that get somebody who is very competent, but not a huge name, like Tang from KSU.

He'd have them competitive and in the tourney in a year. Two tops.

This train wreck under KP is way more for to watch.

My fear is that get somebody who is very competent, but not a huge name, like Tang from KSU.
Not worried. RP, a HOF coach, got a title taken away. Chis Mack left in disgrace. KP, a beloved alum, will be fired soon than later. Doesn't strike me as a desirable landing spot. Now I can see that little piss ant Cronin being forced out at UCLA and winding up there. Fine with me.

They seem to be slowly improving this year. With a bit of luck KP will make them just relevant enough to keep his job but never be a serious threat.

Then they can give him the lifetime contract.

What coach would come to Louisville right now and take over the program. That is achievable for to get
Chris Beard would take it in a heartbeat. He's at Ole Miss for Christ sake. He's just waiting for a better program to offer. UL will probably luck out again like they did with Pitino and get him, which sucks, cause I want him to replace Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT