ADVERTISEMENT

“KP Makes Things Worse After UNC Game”

I agree with him, he inherited dogshit with a thundercloud of possible NCAA sanctions looming over it. Dudes from the portal were like “you want me to trudge through wet dogshit? Pass…” So yeah, he gets a pass for year one whether UL fans agree or not. So this is year one. No sanctions. You’re in the pretty crappy ACC and you’re 1-5. If they finish anything less than 8-12 in conference, that’s straight up horrendous, but that’s looking tough from where they’re at, that’s a .500 finish for the remainder of the season, and they still gotta play Duke twice. Even pulling that off, they finish 13-18. That’s looking like best case scenario. I think it gets Kenny a 3rd season, but is it going to get much better? They have one 3 star guard incoming. I don’t see any way he lasts past year 3:

A complete moronic headline brought to you by the made up rumor tellers that brought you the lie about Aaron Bradshaw. Why are people even reading their trash is beyond me.

Reactions: UK90
There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. Nothing. At. All.

I think this is that "fake news" thing people talk about.

Reactions: UK90
I love hearing Nick Coffey go apeshit on 790 every time Kenny Payne opens his mouth and simply tells the truth. Coffey acts like UL was in great shape under Chris Mack. Of course this is a guy who also worshipped Jurich and Pimptino. That entire fanbase is so far past denial I don’t know what the word is for them.

KP is kinda telling the truth. But he’s an absolutely awful head coach and nobody on his staff knows what to do either. I guarantee Rick would take that roster and finish in the top 4 of the ACC and make the tournament or damn close. They had enough talent last year to win way more than 4 games and this year, while sometimes competitive, they have no shot to win against any decent squad playing their C game.

He is 💯 correct. Do I think they should have been able to work the portal better and hurry it up? Absolutely.

But if he is committed philosophically to building more through recruiting, then they were so bad it will take a while.

Reactions: crawfords corner
These are the dudes that KP inherited at Louisville last year. In the case of El Ellis, someone had to shoot the ball, and boy did he. 15 shots to get nearly 18 points last year. His new team, Arkansas, he scores 5 points a game on 4.8 shots per game.

Here are the Louisville statistics for this year: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/97

They are better than they were last year. He upgraded the talent level on the team(still has work to do obv). They have played without a center who they thought would help and he has been plagued by injury since he stepped foot on the campus. Dude is 7ft 1 and was rated as a top 100 player. Nearly a 5 star I believe. They also played a handful of games without a rotational piece in JJ Traynor.

If they keep the top players they have now, bring in another good freshmen or two, and work the transfer portal, then in year three Kenny Payne could have a tournament team. He had a hell of a lot of work to do there and it wasn't going to be done in a season or two. It's completely asinine to make any judgments on him based off of what he was left to start with.

If you weren't going to have patience with a 1st time HC then why tf did you hire him in the first place.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Is what he said true? Absolutely.
If I were a Louisville fan, would it piss me off? Absolutely.

1. Anytime you talk about not having enough talent, the kids you do have are going to feel slighted. "Well look what I started with" Four of those kids came back and are some of your best players. It's the wrong thing to say.

2. The results are ridiculously bad. 4 wins last season. 6-11 so far this season. I think Louisville fans would be more patient if they weren't THIS bad. But, as bad as it is, you aren't afforded a lot of excuses.

Here is my big negative on Kenny.....he didn't embrace portal in year 1 and went to bat with that crap of a roster when it felt like he could have revamped some of that roster last year.....if I were a UL fan I can see an argument he didn't do more in year 1 to get players.

Reactions: Cats192
There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. Nothing. At. All.

I think this is that "fake news" thing people talk about.
Exactly. Just looks to me like Ethan Dewitt (whoever that is) is using the cheap clickbait ploy of dishonestly making something normal sound controversial to try to get more clicks.

There was nothing wrong with Payne’s answer at all.

I do not think KP is the entire problem he just doesn't have great players
He doesn't have great players. And he started from a bad spot. And it takes some time to rebuild the roster.

But you can't win only 4 games. You gotta build a better roster than that. They've lost several times to non-power 5 programs the last 2 seasons.

I love hearing Nick Coffey go apeshit on 790 every time Kenny Payne opens his mouth and simply tells the truth. Coffey acts like UL was in great shape under Chris Mack. Of course this is a guy who also worshipped Jurich and Pimptino. That entire fanbase is so far past denial I don’t know what the word is for them.
They are delusional. Almost as delusional as another fan base that wants to fire their hall of fame winningest active coach in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT