ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Anderson to St. John's

just always remember one thing about me. When I say something about RP usually it is with sarcasm hate that little prick. He would fit in with that piece of hell NY. I hope he stays in Greece but if not he is always good for a laugh as he is the coach that just keeps giving

Reactions: kl40504
A couple of things are baffling to me. First, why are people acting like St John's is some power program? They've made the tournament 6 times in the last 20 years, almost never win their conference, and have never won a title, but now Mike Anderson is beneath them?

Why can't a coach from the south succeed at a New York school? What the hell does that have to do with anything? There are 3 assistant coaching positions that can be used to develop local ties.

Why is Jeff Goodman so mad about this? He seems to have an agenda per usual. I'd love to know his angle. I dont get the outrage of a ho hum basketball program hiring a ho hum coach.

I don't think Jeff and Mike like each other very much for some reason

This is horrible.
Coached Arkansas for 8 years only making the tournament 3 times and never advancing past the 2nd round.

I can't believe I'm about to say this but.................i'd rather them have gotten Pitino lol. Least they would have been competitive lol

So, Anderson couldn't win enough at Arkansas where the program has tradition, a Title, several Final Four appearances, great facilities and a pretty healthy money stream. But, somehow he is a solid hire for St. John's that literally has none of those things?
Sooner or later you have to look at the coach and his philosophy as the culprit. That '40 Minutes of Hell' stuff is dated. Players are better prepared for it these days.
Whatever he had at Mizzou, he seemed to leave in his luggage when he moved to Fayetteville.

A couple of things are baffling to me. First, why are people acting like St John's is some power program? They've made the tournament 6 times in the last 20 years, almost never win their conference, and have never won a title, but now Mike Anderson is beneath them?

Why can't a coach from the south succeed at a New York school? What the hell does that have to do with anything? There are 3 assistant coaching positions that can be used to develop local ties.

Why is Jeff Goodman so mad about this? He seems to have an agenda per usual. I'd love to know his angle. I dont get the outrage of a ho hum basketball program hiring a ho hum coach.

I don’t know why Goodman is mad about it but I’ll give you some insight on why a coach from the south won’t succeed. At least why Anderson won’t succeed. He’s an angry man. He plays the racist card way too much. In NY, it’s a different type of tough. If you’re going to recruit in the Bronx and other New York playgrounds, you better be tough. Not fake tough like Anderson preaches. The fan base in St Johns thinks like professional franchises and they want one of their own tough guys. That’s why Mullins failed. He could never rope in the alumni. You have to run St John’s like a blue collar professional franchise. Mike Anderson will not be trusted from the beginning and unless he comes out for the gate winning, he’ll be gone faster than Mullins

I don’t know why Goodman is mad about it but I’ll give you some insight on why a coach from the south won’t succeed. At least why Anderson won’t succeed. He’s an angry man. He plays the racist card way too much. In NY, it’s a different type of tough. If you’re going to recruit in the Bronx and other New York playgrounds, you better be tough. Not fake tough like Anderson preaches. The fan base in St Johns thinks like professional franchises and they want one of their own tough guys. That’s why Mullins failed. He could never rope in the alumni. You have to run St John’s like a blue collar professional franchise. Mike Anderson will not be trusted from the beginning and unless he comes out for the gate winning, he’ll be gone faster than Mullins
When has he ever played the "racist card"? Do you even have a single example that you can cite since you said he does it way too much? The only race issues I've seen about Mike Anderson is people on this board bringing up race in every Mike Anderson thread. It's kinda weird that you would just make up something like that.

There's no special toughness needed to recruit NYC players. At the end of the day they're just people just like people in the south. All of the elite players leave the city for college anyway, recruited by non NYC coaches. You seem to adopt a bunch of theories based of assumptions instead of facts.

Last edited:
This is horrible.
Coached Arkansas for 8 years only making the tournament 3 times and never advancing past the 2nd round.

I can't believe I'm about to say this but.................i'd rather them have gotten Pitino lol. Least they would have been competitive lol

Pitino coaching days is over.

So, Anderson couldn't win enough at Arkansas where the program has tradition, a Title, several Final Four appearances, great facilities and a pretty healthy money stream. But, somehow he is a solid hire for St. John's that literally has none of those things?

Well yeah the expectations aren’t as high. I think St. John’s would be happy with going to the NCAAT/NIT about half the time and making the Big East tournament championship game several times if Anderson has similar results as he did at Arkansas. Even if he doesn’t give them anything more than that.

Problem is he probably won’t be able to get the athletes there that he could get at Arkansas, but maybe he can find a few under the radar guys.

Well if he's angry, 90% of New Yorkers are angry. He is a black man, so the "racist card" wouldn't need to be used there as NYC is very diverse and he's not in hillbilly country. The local black players might want to play for a black coach, so he'll may do alright in recruiting. I think it's a solid hire and he'll do fine at the end of the day.

Well if he's angry, 90% of New Yorkers are angry. He is a black man, so the "racist card" wouldn't need to be used there as NYC is very diverse and he's not in hillbilly country. The local black players might want to play for a black coach, so he'll may do alright in recruiting. I think it's a solid hire and he'll do fine at the end of the day.
I'm still waiting an example of this "racist card" being played. I'm guessing like all made up message board lies that are adopted and repeated, requests for proof of his claim will be ignored. Funny how that works.

Reactions: dakid_0812
He apparently does it way too much even though @kats23 can't cite a single instance. Welcome to 2019 where it's cool to lie and make up stuff like that.
I wasn’t going to get into a back and forth with you since I know your schtick but if you’re going to be an asshat about this, I’m not going to spend time looking on the internet to cite examples to appease some stranger on the internet. I’ve heard him mention race when he left Mizzou. He mentioned race when defending his players and his style. I’m sure someone has wrote it down. It might be published somewhere. Like I said, I’m not wasting my time. I gave an opinion on why he wouldn’t succeed at St Johns based on some facts from his background

Have a blessed day and great rest of your weekend. I’m done with this matter

I wasn’t going to get into a back and forth with you since I know your schtick but if you’re going to be an asshat about this, I’m not going to spend time looking on the internet to cite examples to appease some stranger on the internet. I’ve heard him mention race when he left Mizzou. He mentioned race when defending his players and his style. I’m sure someone has wrote it down. It might be published somewhere. Like I said, I’m not wasting my time. I gave an opinion on why he wouldn’t succeed at St Johns based on some facts from his background

Have a blessed day
You're not gonna spend time looking on the internet to cite examples because you're lying. You completely made it up and can't back it up. I dont care about you giving your opinion on why he wont succeed at St John's, he prolly wont. He's a somewhat mediocre coach at a somewhat mediocre program. My issue is you completely lying about him playing the race card.

Last edited:
Lol at the poster that said "Racist card"

Mike wouldn't let our kids kneel during the anthem. He's never, not one time, used the "racist card" crap. You can't make this stuff up. Well i guess in Kats23 or whatevers, world, you can.

Reactions: dakid_0812
boy I guess RP is really done in coaching basketball here in the states. He was the perfect hire for St. Johns. OK so he had a little problem at UL but he would eat at the table at St Johns
As long as he wasn't screwing on it

Lol at the poster that said "Racist card"

Mike wouldn't let our kids kneel during the anthem. He's never, not one time, used the "racist card" crap. You can't make this stuff up. Well i guess in Kats23 or whatevers, world, you can.
You gotta love the irony of a man complaining about someone using the race card by lying and making up fake racial issues.

Reactions: JunkyardHawg
Just milking them for money, he sucks as a coach. Better off hiring someone off the side of the road holding a will work for food sign they can get same amount of W.

I'm still waiting an example of this "racist card" being played. I'm guessing like all made up message board lies that are adopted and repeated, requests for proof of his claim will be ignored. Funny how that works.

Not only that but he went out of his way to say this " He’s an angry man. He plays the racist card way too much"

Not only did he say he plays the race card, but he came across that it's something he does on the reg. And the Angry part. I'm thinking the OP has been asleep for twenty-five years and thinking Mike is Nolan. That or he's just FOS.

Not only that but he went out of his way to say this " He’s an angry man. He plays the racist card way too much"

Not only did he say he plays the race card, but he came across that it's something he does on the reg. And the Angry part. I'm thinking the OP has been asleep for twenty-five years and thinking Mike is Nolan. That or he's just FOS.
In his defense it's likely something he read and picked up on this board because it's been said many times on this board with nothing to back it up. He likely lazily adopted someone else's opinion instead of researching and learning facts for himself like people on this board do, then came out looking stupid for making accusations he can't back up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT