ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Anderson to St. John's

boy I guess RP is really done in coaching basketball here in the states. He was the perfect hire for St. Johns. OK so he had a little problem at UL but he would eat at the table at St Johns
The dude who had sex on a restaurant table with a woman who wasn't his wife, whose program provided hookers for underaged recruits and parents, and whose program was just busted paying a recruit $100k and could possibly face show cause penalties. That's not a little problem.

Anderson had a good run at Mizzou. No idea why he couldn't make it work at Arkansas. Could work out for St. John's (and I hope it does as I'd like to see them get back on their feet).

Reactions: TM2013
The dude who had sex on a restaurant table with a woman who wasn't his wife, whose program provided hookers for underaged recruits and parents, and whose program was just busted paying a recruit $100k and could possibly face show cause penalties. That's not a little problem.

It's amazing how many people have trouble understanding that. Aside from the fact that he'll likely be hit with a lengthy show cause, if not outright ban, is this pathologically lying, ethically challenged sack of dung somebody that you'd want leading your program and mentoring kids?

Black coach who can recruit. High energy kind of guy that translates to his teams (annoying) style of play. Should play well in the northeast where the only elite program is Villanova. Uconn, Cuse, Georgetown aren't what they used to be.

He'll probably muff it up though..

I wouldn’t say Anderson is very high energy and his lack of recruiting is what did him in at Arkansas, but his style may work well there. Does seem like a weird fit though. I think they would be fine right now with being competitive but not much more than that, which is about what you get with Anderson.

Terrible hire for St. Johns if it pans out. They should have tried for a local guy with ties to the NYC/East Coast bball scene. You can't tell me there aren't assistants at Nova, Syracuse, etc. that are hungry for a head coaching job.
Heck, call Jim Calhoun or Seth Greenberg.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Agree you could do worse.

Anderson will have them in the tournament. I don't know that they'll be a major threat under him. On the flip side, I don't know that he's a GREAT coach that will have a lot of offers after a few years of success.

Also he's not a guy that leaves you with a black eye on the program.

Reactions: awf
He will be bad mouthing the other coaches and doing the blow by in no time and won't have daddy Nolan up there to get him thru the tough times. New York is a whole new game for him.

Last edited:
Not saying bad or good just interesting hire if true. This may be a home run hire or huge bust. I like to see how this pan out. I will give credit to St. Johns for thinking outside of the box.

Reactions: awf
boy I guess RP is really done in coaching basketball here in the states. He was the perfect hire for St. Johns. OK so he had a little problem at UL but he would eat at the table at St Johns
He does have a history of eating at the table. He did that for 15 seconds at an Italian restaurant in Louisville. However, they had to change the table cloth after he finished eating.

Reactions: JDHoss
I like it. I follow St. John's basketball quite a bit and they can't seem to keep the top rated players when they do get them.

Steve Lavin brought in a ton of players and they were constantly transferring or going pro early (Harkless, Garrett, Sampson, Jordan)

A coach with a good or unique system is probably best for them. Plus, Arkansas at least makes the tournament, which is more than St. Johns can say in a while.

Reactions: kl40504
A couple of things are baffling to me. First, why are people acting like St John's is some power program? They've made the tournament 6 times in the last 20 years, almost never win their conference, and have never won a title, but now Mike Anderson is beneath them?

Why can't a coach from the south succeed at a New York school? What the hell does that have to do with anything? There are 3 assistant coaching positions that can be used to develop local ties.

Why is Jeff Goodman so mad about this? He seems to have an agenda per usual. I'd love to know his angle. I dont get the outrage of a ho hum basketball program hiring a ho hum coach.

ADVERTISEMENT