ADVERTISEMENT

Met Derek Anderson today

ruppcat

Junior
Jan 1, 2003
Met DA today at a bank in north Georgia today. Saw this tall fella wearing a NBA Player's Association shirt. Asked him if he played and then where'd he play in college. He said Kentucky. I didn't get his name at first and then he said Derek Anderson.

Chatted about five minutes.

Got a photo with him.

Nice guy. I've always heard that about him.

Kinda cool to meet a UK player in North GA.

Met DA today at a bank in north Georgia today. Saw this tall fella wearing a NBA Player's Association shirt. Asked him if he played and then where'd he play in college. He said Kentucky. I didn't get his name at first and then he said Derek Anderson.

Got a photo with him.

One of my favorite players of all time.

What did he say about Reed Sheppard?

86tef7.jpg

Got a photo with him.

Lucky! He’s my all time favorite player. My childhood player.

You don't realize how big players really are until you stand next to them. We're so used to seeing them on tv. I'm 5'11". He's 6'6". Looks like he could still play.

Oh I know. Take at least one of my kids to Cal father son camp every year. You've not seen anything until you see a 7 foot tall guy riding a Segway up to Seaton Center (Ugo). Guy is gigantic. 😂. Part of the reason I liked when Wheeler was there ...he and Cal were the only people I've been taller than associated with program..lol.

Reactions: ruppcat
Oh I know. Take at least one of my kids to Cal father son camp every year. You've not seen anything until you see a 7 foot tall guy riding a Segway up to Seaton Center (Ugo). Guy is gigantic. 😂. Part of the reason I liked when Wheeler was there ...he and Cal were the only people I've been taller than associated with program..lol.
Had seats pretty close to the floor at Stegman a couple years ago when UGA played TN. You really see the size and speed of the game that close. Kills any illusion the vast majority of us ever had about walking on.

Had seats pretty close to the floor at Stegman a couple years ago when UGA played TN. You really see the size and speed of the game that close. Kills any illusion the vast majority of us ever had about walking on.
What is even crazier is that it’s teams that are actually bad in the college game and they still look like that in person.

You don't realize how big players really are until you stand next to them. We're so used to seeing them on tv. I'm 5'11". He's 6'6". Looks like he could still play.

Yeah about 20 years or so ago I met Winston Bennett at the Lville Zoo when he had a young daughter. Walked around with him and talked for a bit, and our (then) young daughters interacted a bit. He was very friendly and fortunately was a slow day at the zoo so no one else was interrupting us. He's was MUCH taller in person than he looked on tv. Got a good photo of us together but idk where it is now unfortunately. I'm 6'2" and he towered over me, made me feel tiny.

This was at the time when Prince was thinking about jumping to the NBA before deciding to return...maybe 2001 or 2002'ish?

What is even crazier is that it’s teams that are actually bad in the college game and they still look like that in person.
Sat courtside at UofL/bellarmine last night. Both teams sucked horribly but you are correct in how they looked that close up. Would love to see a uk game that close up.

Sat courtside at UofL/bellarmine last night. Both teams sucked horribly but you are correct in how they looked that close up. Would love to see a uk game that close up.
It’s amazing, watch a NBA game live. People think they play no defense but watching live the all switch like machines, very little gaps to shoot, they make shots that look impossible on the floor. So strong and fast.

I don’t think sitting courtside or nearly courtside even really illustrates how big these people are (like not realizing how big road signs actually are when driving down the road). I think you have to be able to walk up right next to the person to truly understand their height.

Played a lot of one on one with Reggie Hanson in high school. I'm about 6 foot but, trying to get a shot off over him was a major effort. And he wasn't even in full "game mode".
Kenny Walker is very approachable and when you stand next to him, you get an idea of not just his height but, how muscular he is. D1 college athletes are truly gifted athletes.

Told him I hated he couldn't play against AZ.
My mom actually ran into him and his friends at Oxmoor Mall in Louisville in 1997 when he was still recovering from his surgery. She went up to him when he was with his friends and told him she wanted to talk to him for a second. She told him how much she appreciated him and that he should make sure to take care of his family first and not risk securing his future. My mom is an attractive well-to-do graduate of UK who was there with her group of friends and Derek came up to her later to thank her and tell her how much he appreciated what she said. Her friends eyes were like saucers after Derek came up. He's just a really great guy. Blame my mom if you want 😂 but she's about the nicest, sweetest person in the world and she was talking to Derek like he was her kid. Fortunately for her, there were no dilemmas to confront regarding my pro career. 😆

Yeah about 20 years or so ago I met Winston Bennett at the Lville Zoo when he had a young daughter. Walked around with him and talked for a bit, and our (then) young daughters interacted a bit. He was very friendly and fortunately was a slow day at the zoo so no one else was interrupting us. He's was MUCH taller in person than he looked on tv. Got a good photo of us together but idk where it is now unfortunately. I'm 6'2" and he towered over me, made me feel tiny.

This was at the time when Prince was thinking about jumping to the NBA before deciding to return...maybe 2001 or 2002'ish?
I remember Bennett saying he committed to Kentucky early on ... because he "wanted to alleviate the pressure"

Reactions: bigbluelou
One of my good friends here in Louisville. Also owns and runs Stamina... great guy. Works out my 2 younger sons from time to time. They still don't know how lucky they are.

Loved watching him play at UK, one of my favorites. Really hated he was unable to play against Arizona, he would have been the difference and UK would have won another title with no OT necessary.

I know Derek. He’s more a friend of my friends, but I’ve spent some time around him in high school and he’s a great guy. Never did any drugs or drank at all (not my thing-I like both). He was all about basketball. All the time.

He also didn’t take any shit. I saw him tell a bigger older dude who was starting some shit at Seneca park and challenging people to fight, “there’s grass right over there” “we can…”
The dude backed down.

He’s a great dude and extremely generous and willing to help old friends he has no obligation to help.

Also, our 5 never lost a game out of about 20 games or so. And he was clutch. He hit game winners with the scores tied more than once. Jason Osborne (Louisville) and my friend Tim (Nevada) were both D1 players so I didn’t do much.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT