ADVERTISEMENT

Mertz currently visiting Kentucky

What system did Leary play in? Maybe his stats are a little inflated? Did he play against us in Belk Bowl? I remember the broadcast hyping NC State QB, but he looked pedestrian against us.

Leary has often been hurt over his career

Mertz results weren't great, but he played for a coach who was trending down & git fired. He has been healthy & can play 2 seasons.

Not going to lie I’m getting a little nervous on the QB situation.
We need to land the right stud QB1….

Which QB has the most of these three things between Mertz and McCall if Leary passes on pro OC.

1) decision maker 2) good arm 3) mobility

Whichever has the most of those three is who I would want.

Honestly to me the best film was McCalls. He was lethal on the RPO.
McCall is a quality player with good size who was massively underrated coming out of hs. Another example of player ratings being inaccurate. As far as I can see, McCall is looking at Auburn and Liberty. The thing is, the dead period begins in less than 48 hours. So if a player hasn't visited by now, and if they are determined to enroll at their new school for the spring semester, then UK isn't getting them. That's why Mertz's visit is so important. Call me an optimist, but I believe Stoops will sign Leary or Mertz. If he doesn't, then Coen will have plenty of time to develop a recruitment of another transfer QB although that one won't be here for spring practice. (Levis wasn't either.)

McCall is a quality player with good size who was massively underrated coming out of hs. As far as I can see, he is looking at Auburn and Liberty. The thing is, the dead period begins in 48 hours. So if a player hasn't visited by now, and if they are determined to enroll at their new school for the spring semester, then UK isn't getting them.
McCall cancelled his Auburn visit this morning . They’re all in on Leary

Mertz has a good arm and seems about as mobile as Levis. Honestly, Mertz is probably a much better QB than I gave him credit for at first. Just looking at his stats for the season, they looked bad. But he actually played well in most of the games. Most of the bad stats came in just a couple of games.

The guy obviously has some talent. I would think he'd fit in well with Coen's style of offense. While I would rather have Leary, I am not going to be terribly disappointed if we end up with Mertz. There was a helluva lot more than just QB issues at fault for Wisconsin's 2022 offensive struggles. They had their own version of Scang to contend with.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
McCall is a quality player with good size who was massively underrated coming out of hs. Another example of player ratings being inaccurate. As far as I can see, McCall is looking at Auburn and Liberty. The thing is, the dead period begins in less than 48 hours. So if a player hasn't visited by now, and if they are determined to enroll at their new school for the spring semester, then UK isn't getting them. That's why Mertz's visit is so important. Call me an optimist, but I believe Stoops will sign Leary or Mertz. If he doesn't, then Coen will have plenty of time to develop a recruitment of another transfer QB although that one won't be here for spring practice. (Levis wasn't either.)
Think you can scratch Leary. Only shot UK had was Leary not taking any more visits. Auburn's style will probably fit Leary to a T.

• Wow
Reactions: catben
I asked my Wisconsin fan co-worker about Mertz. He said he sucks, and can only do 2 things well…roll out to the right for a 10 yard pass and hand the ball off.

Think you can scratch Leary. Only shot UK had was Leary not taking any more visits. Auburn's style will probably fit Leary to a T.
Actually, he really doesn't fit the Hugh Freeze mold. He's short, doesn't run and is a pure pocket passer, not an RPO QB. He would seem to be a MUCH better fit in Coen's pro style offense. But Auburn has a ton of NIL money, so I'm sure he will be highly compensated.

I’m ok with Mertz - 3 yr experience - 2 years left - Cohen can work with
Leary has 1 yr May need to take Auburn offer
Nothing we can do
I am happy to leave it to Coach Coen. But Mertz is bigger and has multiple seasons of eligibility, while Leary has been fragile and gets hurt a lot. Obviously, there is more to this than online player rankings.

Either way, I look for additional inbound and outbound transfers during the spring semester.

The best ability is availability. Leary is a good player but isn’t on the field much and that is a problem. I would be concerned with his injury history.

Reactions: catfan093
We are in trouble if it’s Mertz guys. I’m telling you, he’s a turnover machine and I’m putting it as nice as I know how.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT