ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis paper reporting Penny/Tubby rumor..

Damn. I was really holding out hope Wiseman would come play here. If true it’s a great move for Memphis, I don’t know if he can coach but he’s hooked in with all sorts of talent.

Tubby has the best agent in basketball.

Why would Memphis get rid of a future Hall of Fame coach? He’s only been given two years. His team was picked to finish ninth in the conference this season and overachieved to finish fifth. Pay a guy like that $9.75 million to go away? Those Memphis people are delusional.

Thanks Tubby for screwing us over again if we lose Wiseman. Loser head coach.
Even if Penny takes the job it doesn’t mean Wiseman wants to be there or even stick with Penny.

Tubby has the best agent in basketball.

Why would Memphis get rid of a future Hall of Fame coach? He’s only been given two years. His team was picked to finish ninth in the conference this season and overachieved to finish fifth. Pay a guy like that $9.75 million to go away? Those Memphis people are delusional.

Tubby loves getting paid to go coach somewhere else. He's a double dipper..

Well luckily tubby is not our coach and we don't have to stress about one recruit like a bunch of desperate losers. We will be perfectly fine with or without wiseman. Not to say it wouldn't be great to get a top recruit but it's not like we'll be void of talent without him.

Damn. I was really holding out hope Wiseman would come play here. If true it’s a great move for Memphis, I don’t know if he can coach but he’s hooked in with all sorts of talent.
I would hardly call bringing in penny as coach a great move.Yes he may bring some talent with him but hes not coaching against high school coaches anymore and he better brush up on the that thick ass ncaa rule book.

Reactions: mattrudd
Just curious but how do u know about their relationship other than he is his HS head coach?

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Penny has zero experience as a college HC, let alone a program with a good history and lots of expectations. They'd be better off hiring Penny to recruit as an assistant and let Tubby coach.

Did Penny ever graduate from Memphis? If not, why would Memphis give the job to a non college graduate?

Article is very telling:

"They likely don’t know that attendance is at a 48-year-low. They likely don’t know that Smith hasn’t been able to recruit a high school player out of Memphis since he got the job. They likely don’t know that athletic department contributions are down by $1.1 million and that the sagging attendance will cost Memphis another $800,000 under the FedExForum lease.

Some of you might say that’s not fair to Smith. I get that, I really do. But is it fair to continue with a coach once you’ve concluded he can’t do the job? By that, I don’t mean just the job on the court, necessarily. I mean everything else that’s involved. Filling a building. Generating contributions. Recruiting at a high level. Representing the university with enthusiasm.

Coaching at this level involves more than coaching at this level. Smith’s inability to understand that is why he is headed to the conference tournament with no guarantee that he will coach beyond that."

:basketball::gun:

Article is very telling:

"They likely don’t know that attendance is at a 48-year-low. They likely don’t know that Smith hasn’t been able to recruit a high school player out of Memphis since he got the job. They likely don’t know that athletic department contributions are down by $1.1 million and that the sagging attendance will cost Memphis another $800,000 under the FedExForum lease.

Some of you might say that’s not fair to Smith. I get that, I really do. But is it fair to continue with a coach once you’ve concluded he can’t do the job? By that, I don’t mean just the job on the court, necessarily. I mean everything else that’s involved. Filling a building. Generating contributions. Recruiting at a high level. Representing the university with enthusiasm.

Coaching at this level involves more than coaching at this level. Smith’s inability to understand that is why he is headed to the conference tournament with no guarantee that he will coach beyond that."

Memphis must be full of racists

Article is very telling:

Cindy, good stuff as always. There’s little chance that Orlando will be the head coach at Memphis next season. In my opinion, John Vincent Calipari has better odds of being the Tigers coach next season.

Reactions: Cindog28
I would hardly call bringing in penny as coach a great move.Yes he may bring some talent with him but hes not coaching against high school coaches anymore and he better brush up on the that thick ass ncaa rule book.
Memphis has been irrelevant since Calipari left. They replaced Cal with an outstanding recruiter with no college coaching experience and got nothing. Now they want to bring another recruiter in with no college coaching experience? Good luck to them.

Bashing the horrible loser reminds me of the Tubby super friends.

Where are pepsiman and something like rubby tellers???

Losers just like him.

And if you really think that Wiseman wouldn’t come to UK still, you haven’t read the latest interview from Wiseman’s mother on the whole situation

Exactly I put a response up awhile back when this was a topic. Wiseman's mother loves Joel and his current coach said he can't see him following Penny. Maybe some other guys but not Wiseman. He said he tells everyone he's going to Ky.

Here it is again:
The consensus in recruiting circles has long been that the Wildcats are runaway favorites to land Wiseman. They’ve been recruiting him since he was a freshman, led by UK assistant Joel Justus, whose very name elicits an “Aw, Joel” from Wiseman’s mother, Donzaleigh Artis.

John Calipari, the former Memphis Tigers coach, returned to his old stomping grounds to extend a scholarship offer in person last fall.

“James is a person who likes people to keep in touch with him, tell him the good, the bad, the ugly, all that. Calipari and Joel have been keeping up with James, so that’s very impressive to him,” Artis said. “[Calipari] is family oriented and I like that about him, because James loves family; we’re big on family. That was very impressive. Calipari brings that up to say, ‘When he comes here, we want to treat him the same way you would treat him at home. We want him to feel like we are his family. If there’s a problem, you can come to me and talk. If you need me, you tell me.’

“He went through the whole spiel of how a family is supposed to operate. ‘I’m going to be your guardian on the floor and off the floor.’ I like that.”

It also made quite an impression when Justus flew some 5,000 miles across the world to Argentina last summer to watch Wiseman compete in the FIBA Americas under-16 championship. Wiseman didn’t recall seeing any other coach who was recruiting him.

“It meant a lot, that he was dedicated, that he wanted me to come to his program,” Wiseman said. “For me to see him in the stands in Argentina, it was crazy — but it was great.”

Artis points out that Texas also sent a coach, “but Joel stayed the whole entire time.”

Wiseman told SEC Country on Monday that Kansas, Texas, Vanderbilt, Indiana and Florida remain in the mix to land him and he’s keeping options open, being patient, not rushing a decision. But he grinned wide when asked about the widely held notion that Kentucky is the team to beat.

“They’re up there,” he said, adding that he’ll probably narrow his focus after the high school season or around the first weekend of the Nike AAU circuit this spring.

Some in Big Blue Nation have grown uneasy as Hardaway’s name begins to pop up as a candidate to become a college head coach — despite no previous experience at that level — making early wish lists at nearby Ole Miss (which has an opening) and his alma mater Memphis (which does not). If Hardaway got a job like that, might Wiseman follow?

“Some of these guys might,” said one person close to East High program, which has a half-dozen or more Division I prospects on the roster, “but James is going to Kentucky. That’s what he tells everybody.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT